•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Betelgeuse May Never Explode

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ILikePluto

ILikePluto

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:20 AM

More evidence is emerging that not all red supergiants go supernova, which raises the possibility that Betelgeuse may fail to blow up:

Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences:  url=https://www.pnas.org/content/117/3/1240?cct=1971

• okiestarman56, happylimpet and Astroman007 like this

#2 Astroman007

Astroman007

Voyager 1

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:42 AM

Can't say I'd be happy to see the Hunter lose his shoulder, however extraordinary the display in death may be.

T Coronae Borealis, though, is another matter. Another outburst should be coming up in the next few years, I believe.

• Astrojensen likes this

#3 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

• Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:50 AM

The idea that Betelgeuse is actually a merged double with two cores is fascinating, especially if each core is below the threshold for a supernova.  I'm not sure about the mechanics of that arrangement, though.  If they've come close enough for the cores to merge inside the atmospheric envelope, what's to stop them from coming closer and combining into a single core that does have the mass required for a supernova?

--Edit:  Teach me to read the link before posting a response!  I was thinking of another article I recently read, which posits that Betelgeuse may be a combination of two stellar cores wrapped up in a single outer envelope.

The failed supernova idea is also pretty intriguing, but from reading this article, applying it to Betelgeuse may be a bit of a stretch.

• Astroman007 likes this

#4 Jim_V

Jim_V

ISS

• Loc: Iron Range Lake Ontario

Posted 22 January 2020 - 06:51 PM

Time will give the answer. 

• pakras likes this

#5 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

• Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA

Posted 22 January 2020 - 06:58 PM

Time will give the answer. 

And take it away!

#6 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Arizona, USA

Posted 23 January 2020 - 12:06 AM

Interesting that a star could be too big to supernova. Collapsing directly to a black hole is a wild concept, but it actually makes a little sense,. It would literally wink out of existence.

#7 CygnuS

CygnuS

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: The Great Rift

Posted 23 January 2020 - 12:00 PM

What'll they think of next?! 

The good news is that we wouldn't have to worry about X-rays and gamma rays here on Earth....if that was even a possibility or not. As I recall, scientists were all over the board trying to figure out if Betelgeuse could hurt us when it went SN. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics