•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sizing DSO Objects?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Blackbelt76

Blackbelt76

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:38 AM

This is the unprocessed image of M-81 stacked with DSS.

I shot this with a Nikon D300s w/ 200mm lens at f/4 unmoded.

20 lights x 75s iso 640

20 darks

20 bias

No flats

Question: Is 200mm simply not enough reach? Seems really small?

I understand the angular size is small, so perhaps I need to choose larger objects such as M31, M-42 etc.

My first attempt using the same setup of M-1 seemed better success, it too is small angular size?

https://www.cloudyni...st-m-1-attempt/

I can "scale" in Adobe PS, but only to a point.

Any advice appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

• M82-3.jpg

#2 happylimpet

happylimpet

Aurora

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:46 AM

I dont think thats M81 - I think you'd have it more clearly ,particularly having seen your M1 image. I think its a much fainter galaxy.

Also the star field looks wrong.

Can you plate solve the full image?

https://nova.astrometry.net/upload

#3 happylimpet

happylimpet

Aurora

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:55 AM

https://nova.astrome...37908#annotated

Yeah, you're waaaaaay off. Note i had to crop the full image to just the left side to eliminate the inset - but you get the idea!

http://www.worldwide...51307&wtml=true

On the other hand, lets accentuate th epositives and note the youve imaged NGC3877, a much fainter galaxy....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NGC_3877

Edited by happylimpet, 22 January 2020 - 09:57 AM.

#4 Blackbelt76

Blackbelt76

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:57 AM

I dont think thats M81 - I think you'd have it more clearly ,particularly having seen your M1 image. I think its a much fainter galaxy.

Also the star field looks wrong.

Can you plate solve the full image?

https://nova.astrometry.net/upload

You may be right.

I don’t have software yet to plate solve. Just using the DSLR and skywatcher EQ6R unguided.

I was using the setting circles to star hop to it from MIzar.

Been checking my Redshift program trying to ID nearby stars close to the object.

Great link. I was unaware of it. Seems useful.

Edited by Blackbelt76, 22 January 2020 - 10:03 AM.

#5 Ishtim

Ishtim

Surveyor 1

• Loc: N. Alabama, USA

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:58 AM

Here's a handy tool to "size up" your equipment with various targets.  Choose the imaging tab and enter values for your equipment and desired target.

https://astronomy.to.../field_of_view/

• Blackbelt76 likes this

#6 Blackbelt76

Blackbelt76

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 January 2020 - 10:42 AM

You may be right.

I don’t have software yet to plate solve. Just using the DSLR and skywatcher EQ6R unguided.

I was using the setting circles to star hop to it from MIzar.

Been checking my Redshift program trying to ID nearby stars close to the object.

Great link. I was unaware of it. Seems useful.

Seems to be NGC 3877?

Thanks for that link.

I've been away from astronomy for years; we did not have such a tool then.

Attached Thumbnails

• M82-3.jpg

#7 Blackbelt76

Blackbelt76

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 January 2020 - 10:55 AM

@Happylimpet.

Yep.

I sure did miss it.

Freezing my butt off this morning (20F), I think my setting circle slipped.

Was just using the Camera on the EQ6R.

OTOH..I guess I'm thrilled to have captured a 12 mag galaxy with a unmoded camera.

• happylimpet likes this

#8 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 22 January 2020 - 11:04 AM

This is the unprocessed image of M-81 stacked with DSS.

I shot this with a Nikon D300s w/ 200mm lens at f/4 unmoded.

20 lights x 75s iso 640

20 darks

20 bias

No flats

Question: Is 200mm simply not enough reach? Seems really small?

I understand the angular size is small, so perhaps I need to choose larger objects such as M31, M-42 etc.

My first attempt using the same setup of M-1 seemed better success, it too is small angular size?

https://www.cloudyni...st-m-1-attempt/

I can "scale" in Adobe PS, but only to a point.

Any advice appreciated.

In addition to being off the target...

I don't think galaxies are a good target for 200mm.  Here's M31, which is gigantic.

https://www.astrobin.com/209498/

Nebulae and constellation images work better.  Orion (below) is spectacular, as is Deneb.

https://www.astrobin.com/227049/C/

#9 happylimpet

happylimpet

Aurora

Posted 22 January 2020 - 11:48 AM

@Happylimpet.

Yep.

I sure did miss it.

Freezing my butt off this morning (20F), I think my setting circle slipped.

Was just using the Camera on the EQ6R.

OTOH..I guess I'm thrilled to have captured a 12 mag galaxy with a unmoded camera.

Quite right to be thrilled! Dont let perfection be the enemy of good enough, or whatever the phrase is. Im sure you'll get a great (little) image of M81 when you get it framed!

I take huge pleasure in tiny little smudges in my image which are vast distances away or extreme objects in some way or other.

#10 JDShoots

JDShoots

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania, North East

Posted 22 January 2020 - 12:18 PM

I am going to have to look into  affiliate links, because I seem to be recommending the same site a lot these days:)  

I use Telescopius ALL the time to get an idea of size and framing.   

I keep a list of targets I want to hit, and inside the page for each is a Telescope simulator.   In there you can enter your equipment and see what it frames up like.   As with daylight photography, I am always attempting to fill the frame with my subject, so it is nice to see what size a target is, and what field of view a particular lens has on my camera.  

For my DX camera, my 135mm lens has a similar FOV as your 200 on the FX which is roughly 10° by 6.5°.  Then knowing Bodes is less then a 1/2° that doesn't fill much of the frame.  I plan on shooting Bodes soon, and will add a TC to my 500 for a 700mm lens, even that is a little short, thankfully there is more then one subject in the frame.  

m81 fov 135.JPG

Here is a framing with a 700mm lens on a DX body.   Still small, but assuming the TC doesn't kill my image quality, it should be decent.  

m81 fov 700.JPG

• Blackbelt76 likes this

#11 Blackbelt76

Blackbelt76

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 January 2020 - 02:03 PM

@bobzeq25: Great M31 with a 200mm! Question: Did you scale the final image? It appears large from a 200mm w/o some scaling..

I generally do all my pre-post work in Capture NX at a pixel level,Then Adobe PS for bicubic enlargement with resample off. Last I do is "scale" where I seem to max out at about 250%.

---------------------------------------------------------------

@happylimpet: Appreciate the encouragement.

I've been away from this hobby a long time. I didn't have the tools I see today. Back then I used a 8" f/6 Newt (ground the mirror myself), cold cameras and gas hypered 35mm film; hand guiding for sometimes 2hrs while peering thru a 80mm APO (talk about tube flexure!)..ahh the good 'Ol days. smile.gif

When I re-entered this hobby, I was awe struck by the new technolgy available to the amateur. "Auto-Guiding" in particular when coupled to a computer is amazing; as are the new crop of CCD dedicated astro-cams. I can see how AP could get addictive, not to mention expensive from what I've seen. $$$

As I've only recently re-entered this hobby; I'm content trying to use my DSLR and simple visual only thru my newly acquired Celestron Edge 9.25".

I've considered mating the DSLR to the prime focus, but at f/10 I doubt it's a good choice for DSO. The focal reducers sure are not cheap nor is Fastar, which is pretty cool.

I will confess, as cold as it here at the moment in the midwest, with few consecutive clear nights in Jan or Feb, I am a bit lazy about polar aligning and I tend to rush my setup.

So far I must be getting lucky just doing the PA with the polar scope as my stars seem to exhibit little trailing if any up to 4 mins unguided. (No PEC)

I'm just outside a city of 200,000, LP is a big problem. The sky fog is quite noticeable and disappointing; especially to the east.

I'm finding focusing the DSLR quite a challenge, even using "Live-View" magnified. So far all I've done is focus the best I can and VERY gently place a piece of tape across the focus ring. My 80-200 f/2.8 is not image stabilized so I've ruled that out, but am starting to wonder as I slew to new positions if the lens may have some optical train components that may be shifting ever so slightly? Not a issue for normal terrestrial use, but AP is obviously a different set of rules.

Clear skies to all!

Edited by Blackbelt76, 22 January 2020 - 02:05 PM.

• happylimpet likes this

#12 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 22 January 2020 - 05:14 PM

@bobzeq25: Great M31 with a 200mm! Question: Did you scale the final image? It appears large from a 200mm w/o some scaling..

No.  M31 is _gigantic_.  Over 3 degrees from end to end.  6+ full Moons.  If you could see it all with your eyes, it would look like something out of a science fiction movie.  <smile>

The next biggest is M33, about one degree.

Edited by bobzeq25, 22 January 2020 - 05:45 PM.

• Blackbelt76 likes this

#13 Ranger Tim

Ranger Tim

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SW Idaho, USA

Posted 22 January 2020 - 07:29 PM

M31 is a great object for a 200-300mm lens, especially for a beginner. It takes a lot more work to get it looking awesome though.

The dead of winter is a challenge for me. The seeing is usually terrible, there's a lot of clouds, and the temperatures are harder to tolerate than when I had more body fat. Can't wait for spring!! 

• Blackbelt76 likes this

#14 Blackbelt76

Blackbelt76

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 January 2020 - 07:13 AM

M31 is a great object for a 200-300mm lens, especially for a beginner. It takes a lot more work to get it looking awesome though.

The dead of winter is a challenge for me. The seeing is usually terrible, there's a lot of clouds, and the temperatures are harder to tolerate than when I had more body fat. Can't wait for spring!! 

I know what you mean.

Here in the midwest, we get lousy weather in Jan..not much better in Feb.

I don't mind the cold; I can dress for it; the issue here is wind..30 degrees and a 10 MPH wind and I'm done.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics