•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

TS-Optics PHOTOLINE 130mm f/7 + Flattener Questions

accessories astrophotography equipment imaging optics refractor
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BenKolt

BenKolt

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 22 January 2020 - 12:54 PM

Greetings!

I have a TS-Optics PHOTOLINE 130 mm f/7 FPL53 Triplet APO Refractor (APO130f7-P) on order from Teleskop Express.  It ought to be shipping to me soon.  I have also ordered the TS 1.0x flattener (TSFlat2,5).  I understand that the flattener with this scope has a back focus of 88mm.  Unfortunately, that may not be quite enough spacing for me to accommodate my FLI camera, FLI filter wheel and Astrodon MMOAG with needed adapters, although I'm still working this out as it may yet work but with a tight fit.  (Thankfully, I am able to easily fit in my QSI 683-wsg with room to spare.)

Could somebody please tell me what approximate spacing there is between the last lens cell of the scope and the flattener?  I've not been able to get that information from the web nor through communication with Teleskop Express as of yet.  I'd like to know if it's feasible to place the MMOAG between the scope and flattener.  Not finding any dedicated TS forum (Is there one out there?),  I thought I'd pose the question here and see if anybody has experience with this.

Thank you!

Best Regards,

Ben

P.S. Addendum: I just went through the spacing calculations more carefully, and I'm happy to say that with the FLI equipment + MMOAG I now come up with about 4mm to spare placing everything after the flattener.  PreciseParts can make an adapter from flattener to MMOAG as thin as 1.2mm, so expanding that to 5mm ought to work out just right for me.  (I prefer PP adapters to be wider than just a mm or so as I find them otherwise really hard to separate later, even with some lubrication!)  I would still like to hear if my plan to place the MMOAG before the flattener is feasible.  Thanks again.

Edited by BenKolt, 22 January 2020 - 01:07 PM.

#2 OhmEye

OhmEye

Viking 1

• Loc: Western NY Southern Tier

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:52 PM

I recently recieved my TS-Optics 130 but I chose the 0.79 flattened reducer. I'm still considering ordering the 1.0 reducer, it looks to me like you can specify the components you will be mounting and they will send the needed spacer(s) for the correct backfocus. Were you unable to use that option or communicate it? I'll be interested to hear how it all works out for you in the end.

FYI I am very impressed with the build quality on the scope. It feels very solid, the baffles look very nice, the objective is gorgeous. I was able to get first light for a couple hours the day I received it, looking enough to get my platesolving and ZWO EAF calibrated and then about 30 min of NB data on the fossil footprint nebula. Ambient was -5C, zero pinching/bloating or artifacts on stars, even the big disk of Capella. The field is flat and even, but I expected that since it specs are for the same 55mm backfocus that my train was using on my previous scope. So far this scope is promising to be everything I hoped for. Mine measures at 735mm F/5.5

I chose the 2.5 inch focuser to save cost, I don't plan to use large sensor cameras. I added a rotator since it didn't include one and I prefer to not rotate the entire focuser. I hope you will be as pleased with your scope as I am with mine.
  • RossW likes this

#3 BenKolt

BenKolt

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 23 January 2020 - 09:30 AM

I recently recieved my TS-Optics 130 but I chose the 0.79 flattened reducer. I'm still considering ordering the 1.0 reducer, it looks to me like you can specify the components you will be mounting and they will send the needed spacer(s) for the correct backfocus. Were you unable to use that option or communicate it? I'll be interested to hear how it all works out for you in the end.

FYI I am very impressed with the build quality on the scope. It feels very solid, the baffles look very nice, the objective is gorgeous. I was able to get first light for a couple hours the day I received it, looking enough to get my platesolving and ZWO EAF calibrated and then about 30 min of NB data on the fossil footprint nebula. Ambient was -5C, zero pinching/bloating or artifacts on stars, even the big disk of Capella. The field is flat and even, but I expected that since it specs are for the same 55mm backfocus that my train was using on my previous scope. So far this scope is promising to be everything I hoped for. Mine measures at 735mm F/5.5

I chose the 2.5 inch focuser to save cost, I don't plan to use large sensor cameras. I added a rotator since it didn't include one and I prefer to not rotate the entire focuser. I hope you will be as pleased with your scope as I am with mine.

Thanks for your input, OhmEye.  I'm hopeful that this scope will be a good performer for me.  And your report on the good star quality is promising.  As I mentioned above in the addendum, I ought to be able to mount my MOAG after the flattener in the usual way after all, and that will be ideal.  I am considering getting the same reducer as you, but the 55mm back focus limitation will require that I use a separate guidescope, and I'm not wanting to get into all that just now.  Here again my QSI 683wsg-8 will fit in just fine for that, but not my FLI + MOAG system!

Best Regards,

Ben

ADDENDUM: Oh, and to address your specific questions, no I was not aware Teleskop Express had a service for helping with adapters.  That's a nice feature that I'll look for next time.  My plan is to actually transfer my existing Moonlite 2.5" focuser to this new scope once I figure out which upper flange I need.  I may also already have the right adapter to attach the FF to the focus tube, but if not, Moonlight already has that in inventory, so I wouldn't need a special order from PreciseParts for that one.

Edited by BenKolt, 23 January 2020 - 11:33 AM.

#4 OhmEye

OhmEye

Viking 1

• Loc: Western NY Southern Tier

Posted 24 January 2020 - 06:47 AM

I haven't bought this myself, but here is their custom spacer product link

https://www.teleskop...t-distance.html

#5 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 24 January 2020 - 10:55 AM

For whatever use the information has to anybody.  I have the Flat 3, 1st version.  There is a new one, and the spacing has changed.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, astrophotography, equipment, imaging, optics, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics