•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can't Recommend Tolga Astro highly enough

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Skylab

• Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii

Posted 29 December 2020 - 02:19 AM

Minority Report Follows ------

I have limited direct experience with Tolga. I found him to be a really nice guy and a really fair guy. At the same time, I was not impressed with his actual level of knowledge about how things really work. Putting together high end mounts and cameras and focusers is the easiest thing in the world to do. If you want to do something hard, help a friend get an Edge 8 working on an AVX one night properly focused and guiding with a DSLR on the back. Putting a PW20 on a GM3000 is a matter mostly of being able to lift the weight. 

I would not judge anyone's expertise based on projects with unlimited budgets. Observatory setup gets tough when you have to work out how to do things well without spending top dollar. YMMV

Rgrds-Ross

LOL!

As a consulting observatory engineer (focused on medium-to-large professional observatories) I have to say that it is pretty-hard to be an expert with every conceivable astro-widget out there and getting a bucket of random, malcontent, astro-widgets (AND ALL OF THEIR DRIVERS!) to all play together in harmony 100% of the time is a pretty-high bar that not even I can claim to have mastered all the time. Sometimes it's a matter of sitting down and spending the time to figure out the quirks, bugs, limitations and unique vocabulary of each widget involved. Sometimes it takes emails, texts and phone calls as well. And some things never seem to want to play well with others.

Anyone who claims that they have mastered every possible observatory equipment configuration imaginable is kidding themselves... and their customers.

In my experience, Tolga is a dedicated, hard-working, honest human being who doesn't let his own pride get in the way of doing his absolute best for his customers.

What more could anyone ask?

• psandelle, DuaneS and SeymoreStars like this

#27 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: South East England

Posted 29 December 2020 - 02:34 AM

I would also mention that if I had followed his advice more often I would have saved a ton of money in the long run!

I haven't dealt with Tolga (although I really like the very few YouTube videos he has) - but this statement, in my opinion is the essence of purchasing for astrophotography. The more expensive initial option is usually the cheapest. 

• akulapanam likes this

#28 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: South East England

Posted 29 December 2020 - 02:46 AM

Here is a picture of what the offending filter looks like.  It arrived 12/14.  Where did this come from....

It did not come from Tolga Astro!

I bought it from another vendor at the higher price.

Shortly after the price increase, Chroma offered to work with their vendors to make good on the prior quoted prices. 

I mentioned this in an earlier post. 

When I contacted Tolga to order, he would not work with me/Chroma to get this done. 
He could have done this as it was the Monday after the price increase and the new order needed to come in the next day or 2, as per Chroma. 

Tolga was surprised I had even asked him to do this and would not because of the negative review I posted.  I have his email. 

I don't know what the conversation was between Chroma and Tolga (or when), but to me, Chroma said the "new" order needed to get in ASAP.  Tolga's negative responcse was within the hour of my asking.

I can't say I was surprised with his refusal, I would be reluctant to do so myself. 

Yet, if I choose to be in a business selling expensive gear costing 10's of thousands of $'s, paying $200 to make good on a misquote would have been a no brainer.  If the $200 was too far out of the companies budget on day #3, then I would have worked with Chroma to get this order done at the pre filter increase price on day #4 or #5. 

I would have made some effort/tried to act professionally if it were my business.

If I looked at this matter personally, where a negative review/critiism simply hurt too much, I would be boarding the windows and calling my friends for their agreement/moral support.

I needed to ask Tolga about working with Chroma to place the order at the older price to be complete/fair/save $200. 

I did not need to post the ordering.  Yet, the complete customer experience/story ends with the filter in my hand and the sale finalized. 

Hopefully the filter works as expected, if it doesn't, that's on me.

I probably would have reposted positively if Tolga had "made some effort" or instead asked the moderators to wipe the slate clean as I perhaps might have initially been too harsh.

In hindsight, I was not harsh and have no regrets except for placing the initial LRGB order a year ago as there were hints of his character at that time!

Honestly - this is a very unfair post. You have moved from being critical of service to attacking a guys character. I am sorry but I felt compelled to post because this kind of thing can be very damaging and there is very little a vendor can do but sit and hope that someone will offset this with some positivity. 

People will disagree over things - I have had such disagreements with vendors (very rarely). But it is probably more dignified to keep this level of bleating off a public forum. There are other ways to deal with one's own particular beef.

A while back I was seeking opinions on a well known and well respected mount. The responses were all positive...until I received a few private emails and a phone call from 2 people who were not so happy. I was impressed by this approach; balancing the importance of being upfront about negative experiences with the desire to be a little discrete. 

I actually think having a thread that is a running commentary on one person (who no doubt is reading all this) is a little distasteful. I understand that it began as a compliment to a business (there was no negativity intended at all) but its tone has changed in my opinion. 

I apologise if I am in the minority in expressing this view. I think there is a more dignified way to manage one's experiences. 

Simon

Edited by SimonIRE, 29 December 2020 - 02:51 AM.

#29 Travellingbears

Travellingbears

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland bay shoreline

Posted 29 December 2020 - 09:44 AM

TolgaAstro has supplied a portion of the astro equipment I own (no issues or concerns). For my 2020 observatory if I had chosen to ‘fast-track’ with on-site integration assistance (vs outfitting/configuration at my DIY pace) I would have investigated pricing with Tolga’s on-site services. I have only ‘vicarious experience’ (gained by reading positive references) of Tolga’s knowledge, skills and abilities but believe that hiring or consulting with a ‘pro’ can make a world of difference. 

Dave

#30 MJB87

MJB87

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD & Washington, DC

Posted 30 December 2020 - 05:16 PM

For those who have been following this original topic, you might want to see a relevant vendor announcement from Chroma in the Vendor Announcements forum.

#31 rafaelss123

rafaelss123

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 August 2021 - 12:06 PM

I had an excellent experience with Tolga, can’t recommend Tolga Astro high enough too. Fantastic dealer! He is really someone you can trust. Responsive, attentive, honest. Everything you could expect, and more.

#32 drprovi57

drprovi57

Messenger

• Loc: Virgina USA

Posted 12 August 2021 - 03:31 PM

Hmm ..undecided.gif   I have sent several emails on several topics of interest over the last nine months- never got a response…I used their website customer support page

Jason

#33 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Gemini

• Loc: Pennsyltucky

Posted 13 August 2021 - 11:59 AM

Hmm ..undecided.gif   I have sent several emails on several topics of interest over the last nine months- never got a response…I used their website customer support page

Jason

Sometimes emails get bounced or put into junkmail. Give him a call.

Attached Thumbnails

• callout_side1.jpg

#34 WE349A

WE349A

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 13 August 2021 - 04:06 PM

Thanks for the recommendation. I will keep them in mind for my next purchase.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics