•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sw evostar 80ED or Sw Esprit 80ED triplet?

astrophotography beginner dslr equipment imaging refractor optics
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 RJF-Astro

RJF-Astro

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Zeist, Netherlands

Posted 26 January 2020 - 03:36 AM

In short: I think it would work, but you are touching the limit. Guiding is very recommended, and it will need dedication to get it right.

In theory the HEQ5 can carry 13.7 kg, but that is visual payload. For imaging, a rule of thumb is 50%. But it can vary, and depends on a few factors, such as focal length, balance, polar alignment and guiding.

The heaviest I use is 5.4kg (excluding camera, guiding etc). It works great. But that is a 960mm scope, almost twice the focal length of the Esprit 100. That means tracking errors will show up faster.

It has a losmandy style dovetail, so you need a vixen to losmandy adapter. ADM has them, but it will cost you extra as they are not cheap.

#27 astronomykiwi

astronomykiwi

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 January 2020 - 07:00 AM

In short: I think it would work, but you are touching the limit. Guiding is very recommended, and it will need dedication to get it right.

In theory the HEQ5 can carry 13.7 kg, but that is visual payload. For imaging, a rule of thumb is 50%. But it can vary, and depends on a few factors, such as focal length, balance, polar alignment and guiding.

The heaviest I use is 5.4kg (excluding camera, guiding etc). It works great. But that is a 960mm scope, almost twice the focal length of the Esprit 100. That means tracking errors will show up faster.

It has a losmandy style dovetail, so you need a vixen to losmandy adapter. ADM has them, but it will cost you extra as they are not cheap.

From what I've read the limit for astrophotography is around 10kg,the scope is 7.3 with the included accessories, on top of that is camera, guide scope, counterweight and eventually a filter wheel, I'm not sure I feel comfortable going that close to the limit of the mount let alone on one of those adapters! They seem like they are a dangerous move. If I give him the right price my friend might buy it off me and then I'm already near a eq6r Pro which might be my next move.

#28 RJF-Astro

RJF-Astro

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 January 2020 - 07:52 AM

Well, this is the big puzzle we all have to face. My advice: go with the Esprit 80 for now with a longer dovetail added and a 9x50 finder/guider after that. It balances perfect on the HEQ5 and will give you plenty of room to pratice the trade and see where it leads you.

#29 astronomykiwi

astronomykiwi

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 January 2020 - 04:48 PM

Well, this is the big puzzle we all have to face. My advice: go with the Esprit 80 for now with a longer dovetail added and a 9x50 finder/guider after that. It balances perfect on the HEQ5 and will give you plenty of room to pratice the trade and see where it leads you.

I've already said I can't go for the 80 because I won't be able to modify it? My parents would freak, I wouldn't have the confidence and I don't like having holes in my ota just covered by electrical tape. I don't exactly mind the extra money, it's just more time that I don't have much of before going to university

#30 RJF-Astro

RJF-Astro

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 January 2020 - 01:19 AM

You can screw the extra dovetail under the existing one. It has two holes as far as I can tell. You just need to make sure that the holes are placed the same on the new dovetail. Something like this works best. Check your local seller if they have one.The bolts are recessed, so you can mount it on any position to maintain balance.

#31 astronomykiwi

astronomykiwi

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:11 AM

You can screw the extra dovetail under the existing one. It has two holes as far as I can tell. You just need to make sure that the holes are placed the same on the new dovetail. Something like this works best. Check your local seller if they have one.The bolts are recessed, so you can mount it on any position to maintain balance.

Thank you!! 🙂

#32 tcchittyjr

tcchittyjr

Vostok 1

• Loc: Orlando, FL

Posted 27 January 2020 - 02:08 PM

I have the Esprit 80 ED, and that is exactly what I do. I bought a Losmandy-style plate and bolt the 'foot' of the 80ED to the Losmandy plate, then mount the plate into my MyT saddle. Works fine!

TomC

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner, dslr, equipment, imaging, refractor, optics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics