•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

one or two eyes

NV
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AllStarez

AllStarez

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 January 2020 - 03:36 AM

Hello,

I posted smg into the Equipment forum, but i suppose it’d be more logical to poste here...

Reading for months CN’s posts in this particular forum (and for many (many) more years more generally)  i have been influenced by many of you for a pretty long time (thanks to everyone by the way, so much informations and feedbacks...its priceless).

I now do have a question for you today. One question before to jump in NV’s world...
Yes, after almost 2 years, im on my way to get my first NV. But before that jump, i do have to choose between a mono or binocular (goggle)...  Thats why i first posted in this particular thread started by Eddgie in 2016.

In my dreams, the perfect set up was a monocular, to use with and without my refractor: with my TV 76mm and a 55MM plossl to get it faster, and without, ideally using a Nikkor lens or smg similar (i suppose i will use the monocular by hand much more often, for its simplicity of use). I love the grab n go (pocket) concept of the monocular (i have one Leica for day time);  easy to take, easy to use, easy to travel with.

But now, i have to make a choice : Jonathan, that some of you must know (from the french OVNI NV seller: https://oculaire-vis....jimdofree.com/ ) asked me to chose between two options/NV setups :

> His OVNI-O (second hand NV) in monocular version :
Lighter, ‘cheaper’, with C-Mount adaptator

> And a binocluar version of its OVNI-O (still second hand) :
More expensive, better tube, no c-mount and, of course, the two eyes view...
Both are secondhand GEN 3, both are 26mm /F1,2 with a 31,75mm adaptator for astronomy. The mono is from an old NATO’s stock (ITT brand), the bino from the US Army (brand is LITTON).

And now, im kind of lost... One or Two eyes ?
i already enjoyed a binoviewer with ‘normal’ EP in my TV 76mm... and  i will get the same brightness on both NV setup if i get it right, so it is basically a personnal decision to take, i know.

Any users feedbacks of both ‘worlds’ ?

Here are the pictures :

https://ibb.co/ZGNPG2w

https://ibb.co/MR2KpTP

Edited by AllStarez, 23 January 2020 - 04:31 AM.

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 23 January 2020 - 07:50 AM

Something else to consider: I use true bino, with two complete optical trains and intensifiers. It gives the same bino advantage that binoculars enjoy over binoviewer. It really does look twice as good! The uncorrelated scintillation twixt left and right enhances perceived brightness, contrast, and resolution immensely!    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 25 ITT Night Vision 1x and 3x binos.jpg

#3 chemisted

chemisted

Messenger

• -----

Posted 23 January 2020 - 08:47 AM

I don't know Tom.  If the views got any better than what I am enjoying now I think I might have a coronary. 

#4 AllStarez

AllStarez

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 January 2020 - 08:58 AM

Tom, that must be outsanding, but not in my present or futur project unfortunately. How lucky you are 

#5 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:22 AM

Of course, I've shown this gizmo often enough... but once more won't hurt!    Tom

~ click on ~ >>>

Attached Thumbnails

• 33 RB-16 night vision parfocalized to glass eyeps.jpg

• AllStarez likes this

#6 jdbastro

jdbastro

Viking 1

• Loc: Messed Up Sanctuary State

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:30 AM

The bi-ocular unit that is shown in your second pic link is a PVS-7B/D housing.

You CAN get a c-mount adapter for this unit.

See this eBay listing.

I strongly suggest getting the bi-ocular unit over the monocular.

#7 Joko

Joko

Vendor - OVNI

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: FRANCE

Posted 24 January 2020 - 02:36 AM

The bi-ocular unit that is shown in your second pic link is a PVS-7B/D housing.

You CAN get a c-mount adapter for this unit.

See this eBay listing.

I strongly suggest getting the bi-ocular unit over the monocular.

Thanks Eddgie, i'm the vendor of this OVNI-O binoviewer version. Yes i use parts of the PVS-7, it is a D housing.

But here in France, Europe or outside the US, this c-mount adapter is not exportable from the USA. So i will later develop a c-mount adapter. And I will provide from Frebraury x2 and x3,5 telephoto lens to use on any monocular or binoviewer version (including PVS-14, PVS-7, Mod3...) without the need of c-mount.

Also all my OVNI range (OVNI-O and ONVI-M) in monocular version is supplied with c-mount.

Edited by Joko, 24 January 2020 - 03:06 AM.

#8 AllStarez

AllStarez

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 January 2020 - 03:50 AM

Cnoct kindly sent me that link: https://m-o-p-s.com/...7 Optikadapter"

it could work on the OVNI biocular ? :)

#9 Joko

Joko

Vendor - OVNI

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: FRANCE

Posted 24 January 2020 - 05:29 AM

Cnoct kindly sent me that link: https://m-o-p-s.com/...7 Optikadapter"

it could work on the OVNI biocular ? smile.gif

Yes it will, PM sent.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NV

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics