•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

OK - What was this?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Chucky

Chucky

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 January 2020 - 08:34 AM

OK everyone.  Check this out.  I'm not much of a UFO type of guy, but this video is making news here in Ohio.  This took place just outside of Bethel, Ohio.......about 30 miles east of Cincy.  Weird stuff I must say!

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

https://www.fox19.co...s-an-explosion/

Edited by Chucky, 23 January 2020 - 08:41 AM.

• jmclaugh2001 and retroman2 like this

#2 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Skylab

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 23 January 2020 - 08:51 AM

Wasn't much information in those links. Could be a power transformer blowing up for all I can tell.

• ShaulaB likes this

#3 Chucky

Chucky

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 January 2020 - 08:57 AM

My guess is military related.  They know.  575 folks  lost power right when it happened.  A ton of energy got triggered.  

Edited by Chucky, 23 January 2020 - 01:33 PM.

#4 Lukes1040

Lukes1040

Ranger 4

• Loc: Ohio, USA

Posted 23 January 2020 - 08:57 AM

Wasn't much information in those links. Could be a power transformer blowing up for all I can tell.

That was my first guess. 

#5 kathyastro

kathyastro

Vanguard

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 23 January 2020 - 09:09 AM

Looks like an exploding transformer.  An electrical arc of some kind, for sure.

#6 skytele

skytele

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 January 2020 - 10:36 AM

As a trained RACES/SKYWARN weather observer, Amateur Radio reporter to the NWS, I have witnessed many transformers explode at night.   There was always a green colored component to the flash.

#7 Chucky

Chucky

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 January 2020 - 01:34 PM

<<  here was always a green colored component to the flash.  >>

In this case, seems mostly pinkish.

#8 Migwan

Migwan

Vanguard

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 23 January 2020 - 10:31 PM

Substation.    

#9 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 23 January 2020 - 11:18 PM

The most interesting part of the YouTube video for me was when the dog got busy chasing whatever it was.  wink.gif

#10 Old Man

Old Man

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:32 PM

The most interesting part of the YouTube video for me was when the dog got busy chasing whatever it was.  wink.gif

That was a raccoon. It wanted it's lunch box back that father and daughter were stealing.

Oh, the light was lightning. Possibly hundreds of miles away. Maybe the mother ship, but no worries

until the father ship shows up.

• scottk and PNW like this

#11 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: South Central Florida

Posted 26 January 2020 - 06:27 AM

The day the Earth stood still :)

#12 locidor

locidor

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 January 2020 - 06:53 AM

They are the little green men.

#13 Vinito

Vinito

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas City

Posted 28 January 2020 - 11:17 PM

The fact that news personnel couldn't find out any facts COULD ONLY MEAN.... uuhh... that news people aren't any good at finding facts. Oooh, big surprise there ! tongue2.gif

Sustained intermittent glow, then "575 folks lost power right when it happened". Hahah! I dunno about you guys, but it juuuust miiiight be related to the power grid.

Neon lights, for example, are colored by very small quantities of other gases or minerals in the tube to make a wide variety of colors. All it takes is something interesting to get in the heat of arcing electricity, or even be the conductor, and the color could be anything pretty. It isn't always green. Many things (transformers) on the grid are filled with argon, which is part of what you add to make neon lights green. But transformers often also contain oil, which can block the light like a dusty nebula after it's vaporized and the color filtered out the other side of the smoke can be tinted. Remember the wildfires in CA and Austrailia causing the white light of the sun to glow dark red?

I find it extremely more likely that a meteorologist simply didn't make the best of her educational opportunities and learn science and still got hired in part (possibly only) because of the eye candy factor. I dunno, call me a cynic. but I'll go with human error way before believing LGM accidentally flipped off the cloaking switch or even that some military tech went south in the middle of some suburb at prime time.

Rant over

Edited by Vinito, 28 January 2020 - 11:19 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics