•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Opinions, suggestions, and Ideas Requested on a crossroads I've come upon

mount astrophotography dob imaging
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rdrewh

rdrewh

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Irving, Texas

Posted 23 January 2020 - 05:09 PM

I have an Orion Skyquest XT10 that I'm absolutely in love with and have a few questions on taking my astrophotography to the next level with it.

I was contemplating on building a dovetail strap to go around my XT10 tube to connect it to a dovetail mount so I could mount it to a equatorial tracking mount.

1. Is that possible?

2. On a tight budget could I please have suggestions on which mount or mounts to consider purchasing to withstand the payload and with a smooth tracker for deep sky imaging?

3. Also. If it's to expensive and to much of a headache to go that route would it be cheaper and easier to just save up and purchase something like a Celestron 8SE that's going for around 1k?

I would like to stick with my dob if possible though.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you and clear sky's!

Drew

#2 photoracer18

photoracer18

Soyuz

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 23 January 2020 - 05:57 PM

That size scope is going to need a pretty hefty mount to be stable not to mention it will be a big sail in any kind of breeze. In my collection of mounts the lightest thing I would put it on is my Losmandy G11. Not sure about other mounts like the EQ-6R Pro or the iOptron iEQ45.

You have to remember the rule that visual astronomers covet bigger scopes while imaging astronomers covet bigger mounts. The mount is way more important than the scope. Normally for imaging you spend twice as much money on the mount as you do the scope. It does not help when the makers put bigger scopes on mounts than they should for imaging when really they are aiming at visual users.

Something in the class of the Celestron AVX is out. I have a CGEM and while it can handle a C11 I don't think I would ever put a 10" Newt on it.

A "strap" will not be enough. The dovetail must be rigidly connected to carry the tube. Either the dovetail bolted directly to the tube with at least 4 and maybe 8 screws and nuts or a serious pair of telescope rings of solid aluminum bolted directly to the dovetail.

Edited by photoracer18, 23 January 2020 - 06:02 PM.

• rdrewh likes this

#3 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 January 2020 - 06:01 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights, rdrewh.

You XT10 OTA is pretty big and pretty heavy.  It'll take quite a mount to make it a successful imaging scope.  Even searching the used market, I think you'll find you'll be over budget.

The Celestron 8SE comes on an alt-az mount, which is not the best choice for long exposure photography of deep sky objects.  Perhaps the C8 telescope paired with an AVX German equatorial mount?

There will be others with more knowledge about photography who will chime in.

• rdrewh likes this

#4 kel123

kel123

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 January 2020 - 06:06 PM

I agree with photoracer18 above, it is technically possible to modify and mount it on a beefy equatorial mount but I wouldn't advise you to go that route as far a AP is concerned.

Why not keep it as is, for visual and go ahead and get a good mount and a small refractor for AP?

#5 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 23 January 2020 - 10:05 PM

I have an Orion Skyquest XT10 that I'm absolutely in love with and have a few questions on taking my astrophotography to the next level with it.

I was contemplating on building a dovetail strap to go around my XT10 tube to connect it to a dovetail mount so I could mount it to a equatorial tracking mount.

1. Is that possible?

2. On a tight budget could I please have suggestions on which mount or mounts to consider purchasing to withstand the payload and with a smooth tracker for deep sky imaging?

3. Also. If it's to expensive and to much of a headache to go that route would it be cheaper and easier to just save up and purchase something like a Celestron 8SE that's going for around 1k?

I would like to stick with my dob if possible though.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you and clear sky's!

Drew

Yes, I have done it.  Used an eq6, which is what Orion used to sell the 10 inch tube with.  Fine for visual use and planet imaging.  All you need is ten inch rings and a losmandy dovetail.  But it is massive.  30lbs of counterweights.  And you will find the focuser at funny angles.    The 8se will be more portable.  

Jmd 

#6 SonnyE

SonnyE

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:37 PM

What are you interested in imaging with it from a mounted perspective?

Unless certain mounts are used, I tend to recommend a 50% weight rule.

So finding a mount to do for this telescope might be cost prohibitive.

Can you manage the mounting of the rail on it to actually attach it to a mount?

Is it light enough that mounting it doesn't require some hugely expensive mount to handle it? (Tube construction of a DOB can vary a lot from a Newtonian.)

I can appreciate your passion for your first love, the DOB. But maybe a second telescope and mount would be more practical based on your next desired targets.

I'm thinking in terms of a visual along side my imaging rig for the Grand Kids to look through. Maybe a DOB?

But first, I must replace my dead AVX mount, so I can get back to imaging.

#7 Hesiod

Hesiod

Skylab

Posted 25 January 2020 - 05:52 AM

Have already tried to build an equatorial tracking platform for your Dob?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mount, astrophotography, dob, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics