•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Fixed an annoyance with my altitude bearings

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Other_Mike

Other_Mike

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: PNW

Posted 23 January 2020 - 06:48 PM

On my recently-completed scope, the altitude bearings had a tendency to shift toward the observer when changing the altitude it was aimed at.  After one full pass from zenith to horizon, the mirror box would end up flush with the rocker, leading to a noticeable "bump" when the tailgate bolts hit the rocker on the way back up.  I determined it wasn't a craftsmanship fault, as it didn't happen when I applied pressure straight down from the direct center of the upper cage, but that's not how I'll be aiming it once these clouds go away.

Happily, I found a minimum-effort solution that kept the clean look my scope had.  The azimuth bearing kit I got from ScopeStuff came with one more pre-drilled, countersunk Teflon pad than I needed.  I took the surplus piece and cut it into thirds, then drilled a pilot hole through one of the side pieces.  Together with the countersunk center piece, this gave me a 1/4" thick, low-friction spacer that neatly filled the gap between mirror box and rocker.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20200123_120833.jpg
  • IMG_20200123_123115.jpg

• kfiscus, ShaulaB and jeremiah2229 like this

#2 jtsenghas

jtsenghas

Aurora

• Loc: The flatlands of Northwest Ohio 41.11N --Bloomdale

Posted 23 January 2020 - 06:54 PM

Nicely done! 

Modest thrust bearings like that can do a world of good. 

• ShaulaB and Other_Mike like this

#3 tjschultz2011

tjschultz2011

Explorer 1

• Loc: Central WI

Posted 23 January 2020 - 07:16 PM

Yeah, I had the same issue with a little more slop. I used two felt pads on each side and it's perfect. Snug but not too snug. 

• Other_Mike likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics