•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ShapStar 76EDPH

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 vincex256

vincex256

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 January 2020 - 06:20 AM

Hi to all, anyone have do deep sky photos with this refractor ?

I have order it, but i don't see more photos doing with this refractor.

I would like to take this Sharpstar to replace the 72ed Skywatcher.smile.gif

#2 Tapio

Tapio

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 24 January 2020 - 07:20 AM

Interesting scope but so new that not many users (or reports).

Be sure to make report of it when you get it.

#3 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:03 AM

Here you will find some user experience info and photo's

https://www.drogenbe...tar-76edph-f45/

i own one myself since a couple of days but was no able to use it.,besides my experience in AP is still limited...

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 25 January 2020 - 09:06 AM.

#4 vincex256

vincex256

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:55 AM

Here you will find some user experience info and photo's

https://www.drogenbe...tar-76edph-f45/

i own one myself since a couple of days but was no able to use it.,besides my experience in AP is still limited...

Impressive photos. I hope i can do similar job, but i don't have same SQM Sky :-(

Inviato dal mio SM-G975F utilizzando Tapatalk

#5 HydrogenAlpha

HydrogenAlpha

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 25 January 2020 - 11:19 AM

It's still a relatively new scope, so yes not many sample images. 

The 61EDPH has been around longer, and the images from it are superb. It's also just a doublet compared to the 76EDPH which is a triplet, so you could probably expect even better performance. 

#6 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 January 2020 - 11:41 AM

It's still a relatively new scope, so yes not many sample images. 

The 61EDPH has been around longer, and the images from it are superb. It's also just a doublet compared to the 76EDPH which is a triplet, so you could probably expect even better performance. 

Indeed, the 76 mm is a triplet.

I have great expectations. Still a newbie at AP. Actually  i went for it because of the fast F rate, and the included FF/reducer.

Seems like  great imaging scopes, both.

Visual the 76 gives a bright sharp image, with a Morp 17.5 quite exquisite, in daylight

But very busy lately so i really have to take some time for deeper testing. But it looks good sofar..

#7 desertlens

desertlens

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 36°N 105°W

Posted 25 January 2020 - 02:51 PM

I've posted this 76EDPH image already in another thread but it seems appropriate here as well.

Ss76EDPH.jpg

On the whole, this instrument is very robust and reminds me of a scaled down AT92 (also ƒ5.5). The focuser is huge (3" draw tube) for a scope this size. This should be encouraging for those with an imaging stack to consider. I'm not an imager, hence the visual setup. The tube holder design is clever and very adaptable given the minimal real estate on a short tube such as this. I found the price to be very reasonable for a very well made 3" triplet. The scope arrived the same day as a snowstorm so I've had no real opportunity to examine it optically. A quick daytime check was encouraging and I saw no significant field curvature issues with the eyepieces I tried (18.2mm DeLite, 20mm T5 Nagler). I find that FC in short/fast refractors can usually be managed with eyepiece selection, focus technique, and realistic expectations.

Edited by desertlens, 25 January 2020 - 02:55 PM.

• F.Meiresonne, eros312, gozer and 2 others like this

#8 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 January 2020 - 02:54 PM

Man , what a shot!

Hope in the near future skies clear up and  i can find some time to test it out...grin.gif

#9 imgumby001

imgumby001

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 25 January 2020 - 02:55 PM

...it’s so pretty with the red...
  • F.Meiresonne likes this

#10 vincex256

vincex256

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 January 2020 - 03:06 PM

Very god desertlens. I hope i can do good images :-)

Inviato dal mio SM-G975F utilizzando Tapatalk

Edited by vincex256, 25 January 2020 - 03:07 PM.

#11 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 January 2020 - 03:17 PM

...it’s so pretty with the red...

Yes, that is true and my opinion also.

Can't understand my wife hates it...grin.gif

#12 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 January 2020 - 03:58 PM

I've posted this 76EDPH image already in another thread but it seems appropriate here as well.

attachicon.gifSs76EDPH.jpg

On the whole, this instrument is very robust and reminds me of a scaled down AT92 (also ƒ5.5). The focuser is huge (3" draw tube) for a scope this size. This should be encouraging for those with an imaging stack to consider. I'm not an imager, hence the visual setup. The tube holder design is clever and very adaptable given the minimal real estate on a short tube such as this. I found the price to be very reasonable for a very well made 3" triplet. The scope arrived the same day as a snowstorm so I've had no real opportunity to examine it optically. A quick daytime check was encouraging and I saw no significant field curvature issues with the eyepieces I tried (18.2mm DeLite, 20mm T5 Nagler). I find that FC in short/fast refractors can usually be managed with eyepiece selection, focus technique, and realistic expectations.

In the picture i don't see the tension screw for the focusser. A golden screw , it is underneath? Or just not there.

Seems there a slightly different specimens, on 365astronomy i see in the picture it has only one screw in the clamp holding the tube like the 61 version. Mine has 2 and so seems yours

https://www.365astro...-telescope.html

#13 desertlens

desertlens

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 January 2020 - 04:14 PM

In the picture i don't see the tension screw for the focusser. A golden screw , it is underneath? Or just not there.

Seems there a slightly different specimens, on 365astronomy i see in the picture it has only one screw in the clamp holding the tube like the 61 version. Mine has 2 and so seems yours

https://www.365astro...-telescope.html

Some of the early promotional images seem to have a different tube holder; narrower, single clamping screw. It appears the final production model adopts the wider version with 2 screws. This is what I received. The focuser tension screws, I think, are a pair of recessed set screws under the drive axis. I found that focuser tension was fine so I didn't pursue any adjustments. The brassy thumb screw on top locks focuser rotation.

Edit: There's an apparently empty threaded hole between the 2 focuser screws I mentioned that may possibly be used with a thumbscrew for tension adjustments. I did not receive such a screw and don't seem to need it.

Edited by desertlens, 25 January 2020 - 04:22 PM.

#14 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 January 2020 - 04:25 PM

Some of the early promotional images seem to have a different tube holder; narrower, single clamping screw. It appears the final production model adopts the wider version with 2 screws. This is what I received. The focuser tension screws, I think, are a pair of recessed set screws under the drive axis. I found that focuser tension was fine so I didn't pursue any adjustments. The brassy thumb screw on top locks focuser rotation.

Edit: There's an apparently empty threaded hole between the 2 focuser screws I mentioned that may possibly be used with a thumbscrew for tension adjustments. I did not receive such a screw and don't seem to need it.

I have a second brass screw. Seems to tension the focusser,

The same on the 61 unit i have

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0822 (Large).JPG

#15 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 January 2020 - 04:30 PM

Yes, me too, but i received it with the finder shoe. It was in a separate small plastic bag, containing the finder shoe and a additional screw for the focusser underneath to block movement of the focusser. This is only usefull for AP imo, for visual it is not important i think.

#16 desertlens

desertlens

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 January 2020 - 04:38 PM

Aha! I remember that extra screw and will keep it in mind. On my scope, the position you show in your photo is occupied by a hex socket set screw which is loose and serves no purpose except as filler. I think this hole is intended for a locking screw which I don't need. I suspect that the screw under the focuser adjusts tension and the one on top locks the draw tube.

Edited by desertlens, 25 January 2020 - 04:58 PM.

#17 GlenM

GlenM

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire England

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:05 AM

On my 61 the top screw is the tensioner and the bottom screw is the lock screw.

Glen.

#18 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 January 2020 - 04:17 PM

On my 61 the top screw is the tensioner and the bottom screw is the lock screw.

Glen.

Yes, on both my reddies too

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 27 January 2020 - 04:21 PM.

#19 kel123

kel123

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 28 January 2020 - 07:07 PM

Technically, 76EDPH is a doublet.  It only comes with an inbuilt correct field/ focal reducer. 

Do not mind some of the marketing gimmicks at times. 

#20 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 January 2020 - 02:15 AM

Technically, 76EDPH is a doublet.  It only comes with an inbuilt correct field/ focal reducer. 

Do not mind some of the marketing gimmicks at times. 

No that is not true

The objective is a triplet

and a FF/reducer 3 lenses all together 6 lenses

His little brother the 61EDPH is doublet objective together with the FF/reducer 5 lenses

https://www.teleskop...nung-F-4-5.html

You can find it out the sharpstar website also, but since yesterday I seems not reachable, at least not from over here

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 29 January 2020 - 02:19 AM.

• GlenM likes this

#21 kel123

kel123

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 29 January 2020 - 09:21 PM

No that is not true
The objective is a triplet
and a FF/reducer 3 lenses all together 6 lenses

His little brother the 61EDPH is doublet objective together with the FF/reducer 5 lenses

https://www.teleskop...nung-F-4-5.html

You can find it out the sharpstar website also, but since yesterday I seems not reachable, at least not from over here

I guess you are right but someone made that came somewhere and I was mistaken to have taken it as authoritative. Thought the objective has two lenses.
I remember he was comparing it to Evostar 80ED doublet and claimed that images from both scopes show no difference.

#22 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 January 2020 - 02:10 AM

The evostar 80 ED works at F/7.5 the 76 EDPH at f/4.5, that is quite a difference

I can imagine he sees no difference, if the Evostar worked  at the same focal speed  he might have.

I see no color in my FPL53 102 mm doublet either at F/7, which still surprises me but it is...

Still waiting on a occasion  to test the 61 EDPH (doublet), I really wonder if that one also at F/4.5 will be colorless...I have seen pictures with it, no blue halos their either...well we see..

#23 kel123

kel123

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:32 PM

The evostar 80 ED works at F/7.5 the 76 EDPH at f/4.5, that is quite a difference

I can imagine he sees no difference, if the Evostar worked at the same focal speed he might have.

I see no color in my FPL53 102 mm doublet either at F/7, which still surprises me but it is...

Still waiting on a occasion to test the 61 EDPH (doublet), I really wonder if that one also at F/4.5 will be colorless...I have seen pictures with it, no blue halos their either...well we see..

The 61EDPH works at F/5.5 without the focal reducer.

#24 GlenM

GlenM

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire England

Posted 31 January 2020 - 06:41 AM

I don't see any colour with my 61 EDPH visually. Only tried terrestrial photography with it. Everything seems just fine with me. I do need to do some AP with it for sure.

Glen.

• F.Meiresonne likes this

#25 vincex256

vincex256

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 January 2020 - 05:08 PM

Hi to all, finally sharpstar 76edph arrive.

This is the very first test on Doubble Cluster Persei togheter with comet Panstar 2017.

Very fast elaboration with pixinsight, only 12 light of 120sec each, dark,bias and flat.

Not apod but i'am satisfied for now 

Bortle scale 6 :-(

Attached Thumbnails

• Doppio Ammasso Perseo-reduced.jpg

Edited by vincex256, 31 January 2020 - 05:13 PM.

• F.Meiresonne, GlenM, eros312 and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics