•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NGC 1360 and NGC 1535

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• topic starter
  • Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 24 January 2020 - 06:41 AM

I don't normally do two sketches in a night, but it was a nice clear night for a change. Wasn't gonna waste it. I just came off a failed attempt to observe PAL 2 on a revisit, so these two magnificent objects were real eye candy 

NGC 1360 is huge and fairly dim without a UHC filter. With the filter, it really popped nicely. Some dark areas were seen near the central star and along the eastern edge. The northern lobe was noticeably brighter. No color seen. 

NGC 1535 is very bright. We're not supposed to use UHC filters at high magnifications, but doing so helped tease out its weakly annular structure. It was plenty bright to be seen, though the central star was best seen without the filter. There was another fleeting star near the northern edge of the nebula. I do not recall any color, need to work on that. 

Both very beautiful nebulae. 

NGC 1360.png

NGC 1535.png

• Sol Robbins, Mel Bartels, okiestarman56 and 10 others like this

#2 Raul Leon

Raul Leon

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Tampa Florida

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:31 AM

Hi Norme , Both excellent objects, Ngc 1360 doesn’t get real high in my sky, so I have never really seen a fluctuation in brightness. Going to have to revisit. NGC 1535 is a beauty, really well captured and excellent report
  • Asbytec likes this

#3 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• topic starter

Posted 24 January 2020 - 09:18 AM

Thank you. Raul. Please visit them if possible. Both were at or above 48 degrees altitude, I caught them near their peak altitude close to the meridian. I don't know what effect extinction has on it. Some folks say 1360 is bright. Can't argue, really, because it was readily visible at low power. It has a moderately low surface brightness, but really pops with a UHC filter.

I have never seen these two before spending most of my time north of 35 degrees latitude where they ride 20 degrees lower in the sky. Also focusing on planetary observing in recent years. I was shocked at how easy they are to observe from 15 degrees north and blessed with rare very transparent skies.

There are not many sketches of NGC 1360, maybe because of its lower altitude for northern observers. However, there are a few sketches of NGC 1365 which is a little higher in the sky for everyone. It hits about 60 degrees altitude here.

Anyway, these are two beautiful object's, I'd urge everyone to try them. Even if low on the horizon.

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 24 January 2020 - 10:16 AM

Norme,

Both are excellent renderings.

Fine sketching posts.

Frank :)

• Asbytec likes this

#5 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Cosmos

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 24 January 2020 - 03:08 PM

Norme,

Very good sketches of NGC 1360 and NGC 1535 smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

• Asbytec likes this

#6 sunnyday

sunnyday

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:16 PM

nice

#7 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Vanguard

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:11 PM

I don't normally do two sketches in a night, but it was a nice clear night for a change. Wasn't gonna waste it. I just came off a failed attempt to observe PAL 2 on a revisit, so these two magnificent objects were real eye candy 

NGC 1360 is huge and fairly dim without a UHC filter. With the filter, it really popped nicely. Some dark areas were seen near the central star and along the eastern edge. The northern lobe was noticeably brighter. No color seen. 

NGC 1535 is very bright. We're not supposed to use UHC filters at high magnifications, but doing so helped tease out its weakly annular structure. It was plenty bright to be seen, though the central star was best seen without the filter. There was another fleeting star near the northern edge of the nebula. I do not recall any color, need to work on that. 

Both very beautiful nebulae. 

attachicon.gifNGC 1360.png

attachicon.gifNGC 1535.png

Nice sketches. In your second sketch, wouldn't the magnification be 500x and not 240x?  (8" F/6 and a 12mm HD 60 and 5x focal extender).

Edited by Miranda2525, 13 February 2020 - 10:11 PM.

#8 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• topic starter

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:26 PM

Nice sketches. In your second sketch, wouldn't the magnification be 500x and not 240x? (8" F/6 and a 12mm HD 60 and 5x focal extender).

Yes. I mistakenly listed the 12mm rather than the 25mm HD 60.

Thank you for catching it and to each of you for replying.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics