•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Auto guiding trouble with a Orion Skyview Pro Goto mount

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jemarcks

jemarcks

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:32 PM

Hello.

I have a Orion Skyview mount with the goto upgrade.  I am trying to use PHD2/EQMOD/APT to auto guide for deep sky astrophotography.

My configuration is using the EQDir cable from my USB hub to the mount controller box so I dont need the hand controller.  

Everything "works" but the auto guiding accuracy is terrible.  Sometimes the calibration fails.  When it gets through calibration, the RA and Dec commands are all over the place with RMS of 0.88 and 1.19 respectively.  Peak of 2.19" and 3.44"!  Calibration fails with a error about unable to eliminate Dec backlash or something. 

I was unable to take any subs longer than 20 seconds or else I would see oblong stars! 

Has anybody got auto guiding to work with the Orion skyview Pro goto mount?

If so, what PHD2 settings did you use?

Should I upgrade my mount? (like to a HEQ5/6)

thanks!

Jeff

#2 zxx

zxx

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:06 PM

How bad is the DEC backlash ?  I guide my CG-4 in one direction in DEC and at best get a total RMS around 0.70. Which is plenty good enough for my ED80 at 480mm. What I do is misalign the PA a tad,. and guide in one direction. This will also help the RA settle down. These are about the cheapest EQ mounts you can buy for AP, they can work with some tuning though the HEQ5 would be a much better mount.

Edited by zxx, 24 January 2020 - 09:39 PM.

#3 georgian82

georgian82

Viking 1

• Loc: Healdsburg, California

Posted 26 January 2020 - 02:21 AM

Couple of questions:

1) Are you calibrating near the celestial equator?

2) Did you run the guiding assistant in PHD2? If you haven’t, run that first and apply the recommended settings and see if that improve things.

3) Are you balanced “east heavy”? 

4) what gain are you using for the guiding camera? I use the same camera at a gain of 50. Any higher and it will bloat your stars...

5) Can you attach a screenshot of your EQMOD settings? Perhaps there is a setting in EQMOD that needs to be changed. 

Lastly...make sure you have the correct guide scope focal length and guiding camera pixel size set in PHD2 so it calculates the correct image scale.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics