•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO ASIAIR app running on pc

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Howie1

Howie1

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 24 January 2020 - 05:39 PM

I've thought about getting an ASIAIR for EAA, as I only occasionally stack frames - so a single image stretch which can be done using the ASIAIR would work for me ... maybe?  I'm awaiting the soon to be released AISR PRO which does stacking (as well as support DSLRs) and see what users say about it before I plonk down my money. However, I've actually watched several people who do AP using the AIR, and they all say that while the App which controls it will run on a smartphone ... you really have to install the App on a tablet. There's too much stuff displayed on such a small screen as a smartphone, so the bigger the device - the better. The apps menu's are all around the edges of the screen, and there's heaps of them as it will control camera, preview window, autoguider, focuser, filterwheel, run sequence, settings, display, and when showing the image also show histogram. As the icons have to be a decent size for fingers as well as histogram being a decent size ... you can imagine how tiny the actual image is on a smartphone. So they all use large tablets instead.

But ... I already own a PC and a laptop so I really do not wish to have to buy a large tablet to run it! So I investigated emulators for my laptop and pc. Haven't done it though ... because I havent bought an AIR nor an AIR PRO. I'm still uncertain and await early adopters of the PRO to get theirs and tell us all if it is any good.

But, in case anyone on the forum owns one or hadn't already thought of running the AIR (or AIR PRO) on their PC, link below.

Rutger Bus (?) used Bluestacks to download and run the ASIAIR app on his PC. Along with SkySafari for full goto etc. So heaps of PC / laptop screen real-estate to run the app inside while the scope and ASIAIR box is outside. Link to the video is below.

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

• highkamp likes this

#2 scopewizard

scopewizard

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 24 January 2020 - 06:25 PM

I took the cheap way. I bought a Raspberry PI4, card and box for $120 cdn. Loaded Astroberry image on the card, software is for free. It uses KStars and Ekos, PHD2, CCDCiel and others including plate solve. Works on phone, tablet or Laptop using VNC app. ASIAIR Pro is a PI4 but has extra power plugins which could be nice. I run mine using a power pack 5 vdc 20 amps. ASIAIR is limited to their camera types and DSLRs. Astroberry is Indie and also can control DSLRs. I added a clock module for $5 for one on Amazon. ZWO has come out with ASIStudio software which can be run on a PI4. I might install it on my PI4 and I am sure it will run. It has live stacking as one of the features.

#3 Howie1

Howie1

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2020 - 04:38 PM

Yeah, but I'm techno-illiterate! LOL. smile.gif

I saw a bloke selling his AIR so he could get money to buy the AIR PRO. Only 6 Months old he asked for $200 Aussie dollars (which is $US136) which for me would have been ideal! All the stuff loaded with wifi working and app for remote control from smart device ... plug n play for me for cheap bucks. But someone else thought that too and it sold in just a few minutes and I missed out. Ah well ... it wasnt the stacking version so I'll wait and see what reviews the PRO gets when released.  But, of course, very proprietary only runs ZWO stuff. Building your own would be device independent. :) Old technophobes like me wouldn't have a clue where to start. :)

Edited by Howie1, 25 January 2020 - 04:42 PM.

#4 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 26 January 2020 - 09:49 PM

Android app is tuned to work with touch screen GUI so make sure your PC emulated Android environment covers that.

On the mount-side controller (the server side):

Also, since this thread is in EAA subforum so some degrees of "live" is desirable.

In this aspect, Raspberry Pi 3B+ (a $35 ARM based single board computer) as used in ASIair is under-powered.

Actually, Raspberry Pi 4's (itself at 4GB config is $65 or less, as used in ASIair Pro, a $300 device) performance to be used in live-stacking is yet to be seen.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics