•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bad Sky&Telescope labels? (Not receiving issues)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 polaroidia

polaroidia

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 January 2020 - 07:38 PM

Just a question for other S&T subscribers out there. I never received the February issue and yesterday I got the March issue with the mailing label in the condition below. The magazine itself is in fine condition. No folds, creases or tears. But as you can see the label has come half off. I assume that is why I never got the February issue. There would seem to be a problem with the adhesive that is being used on the labels. Has anyone else had this problem?

skytel1.jpg

• Redbetter likes this

#2 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Soyuz

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 24 January 2020 - 07:49 PM

No - Call S&T and request a new Feb issue.

#3 Jim R

Jim R

Sputnik

Posted 24 January 2020 - 07:49 PM

I only receive about every 3rd issue.

#4 Astroman007

Astroman007

Voyager 1

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:32 PM

I only receive about every 3rd issue.

That's terrible.

#5 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:45 PM

I had a label come off once and it looked like someone at the Post Office stuck it back on with a piece of packing tape. Most magazines use peel-friendly adhesive over the entire back of the label, so it still comes off nicely but will not dislodge in shipping. The S&T and Astronomy both use that questionable two little lines of thick goo that dislodges easily. Poor approach, faulty product, should "address the issue" (?!)

#6 Tdesert63

Tdesert63

Vostok 1

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:50 PM

Yes if the label comes off ,the post can't deliver it, lost a few s&t that way ,wish they would plastic wrap them all

#7 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Vanguard

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:58 PM

Over the years I've occasionally received damaged issues. In every instance I immediately called their office to request a replacement issue which was always mailed to me in a large paper envelope. It remains to be seen if the new owners will continue this practice. 

#8 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 24 January 2020 - 09:45 PM

No - Call S&T and request a new Feb issue.

That won't work.  I called today for my missing Feb. after the March issue arrived.  That has worked in the past; however, it didn't work for this issue.  There are no extras.  And they can't give access to digital (Zinio).  Seems like they should find a way to send something timely to print subscribers when an issue goes missing.

EDIT:  The customer service person was misinformed stating repeatedly that it was Zinio...apparently it is nxtbook, which actually works...which was never true for Zinio.

Edited by Redbetter, 24 January 2020 - 11:48 PM.

#9 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

Posted 24 January 2020 - 09:52 PM

Just a question for other S&T subscribers out there. I never received the February issue and yesterday I got the March issue with the mailing label in the condition below. The magazine itself is in fine condition. No folds, creases or tears. But as you can see the label has come half off. I assume that is why I never got the February issue. There would seem to be a problem with the adhesive that is being used on the labels. Has anyone else had this problem?

attachicon.gifskytel1.jpg

I brought the loose label problem to S&T's attention last May.  At the time they were waiting for the change of ownership as there was nothing they could do until that happened. 

Hopefully, they will be able to address this problem.  I am only losing about one issue per year, although I have had several badly damaged labels in the past few years, one apparently taped back together by a postal worker. 

The shape/format of the labels and the way the adhesive is applied seems to vary somewhat within a year. 

#10 ascii

ascii

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Orlando, FL, USA Approximately 28.5ºN,81.5ºW

Posted 24 January 2020 - 11:13 PM

That won't work.  I called today for my missing Feb. after the March issue arrived.  That has worked in the past; however, it didn't work for this issue.  There are no extras.  And they can't give access to digital (Zinio).  Seems like they should find a way to send something timely to print subscribers when an issue goes missing.

The missing paper issues sound like a real problem for some. Knock on wood, I haven't missed any.

As far as digital, my understanding is that all print subscribers should be able to download PDF's from nxtbook.  That's what I do.  In fact, I was able to go back and download PDF's of all of the issues that were previously available from Zinio only.  Zinio may no longer be involved with S&T.

• Redbetter likes this

#11 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

Posted 24 January 2020 - 11:46 PM

As far as digital, my understanding is that all print subscribers should be able to download PDF's from nxtbook.  That's what I do.  In fact, I was able to go back and download PDF's of all of the issues that were previously available from Zinio only.  Zinio may no longer be involved with S&T.

Thanks!  I did a search for the 2020 issue in Google and it took me to the page with the ntxtbook login, which worked!

The customer service rep said it was Zinio several times...which didn't help since Zinio never ever worked for me.  Zinio was a complete bust, I remember making a number of calls to S&T tech support and they never were able to make it work.  Zinio didn't just strike out...they didn't even make it up to the plate with bat in hand while the pitches were thrown.  They are sooooo on my avoid at all costs list.

S&T needs to better inform/train the customer service contractors answering their calls.  They are pleasant enough, but have not been accurate in their information over the years.  In this instance I was not only told that I would have to use Zinio to get a digital version, but they also noted that I was not a digital subscriber (true), and that I would probably have to pay for the issue through Zinio to get access.  As you can imagine, that was a non-starter, why would anyone pay a penny for a service that never worked for them when it was available free? 

I still think S&T is a great mag and have had good conversations with various folks associated with it, but the subscription service side has some rough spots that need some attention.

#12 Nakedgun

Nakedgun

Viking 1

• Loc: Southwest

Posted 25 January 2020 - 12:48 AM

I called last week and they (said) will send me a replacement February issue. Haven't got the March issue yet, we'll see.

Lost issues was always rare for me. Now, January came late, no February, and March.... 

#13 ascii

ascii

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Orlando, FL, USA Approximately 28.5ºN,81.5ºW

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:19 AM

I probably should have mentioned this in my post of last night, but there is a fairly convenient way on the S&T home page to get you to the Nxtbook PDF issues.

1. Go to the S&T home page:  https://www.skyandtelescope.com
  2. Locate the black tool bar near the top of the page.
  3. Click on "Magazine".
  4. Click on "Current Digital Issue".
  5. You may need to enter the email address you had used to set up your subscription.

The current issue should be displayed, along with a link to download a PDF, and an index link (four horizontal lines stacked in a slight zig-zag) that takes you to a list of previous issues that you can click on.  However, you cannot download issues that are older than your subscription - no surprise in that.

• George N and spereira like this

#14 spereira

spereira

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 25 January 2020 - 11:53 AM

I probably should have mentioned this in my post of last night, but there is a fairly convenient way on the S&T home page to get you to the Nxtbook PDF issues. ...

I am a long-time and very satisfied subscriber.  I did not know about this feature.  I just tried it, and I can verify that it worked for me.

Thanks very much for posting this!

smp

• ascii likes this

#15 Nakedgun

Nakedgun

Viking 1

Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:41 PM

I called last week and they (said) will send me a replacement February issue. Haven't got the March issue yet, we'll see.

Lost issues was always rare for me. Now, January came late, no February, and March.... 

March issue arrived normal timeframe, today. 

#16 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mayo (Maryland)

Posted 26 January 2020 - 12:40 PM

I find of you can't get a replacement S&T will extend you subscription. That's what happened to me.

#17 Nakedgun

Nakedgun

Viking 1

Posted 30 January 2020 - 12:19 AM

They offered me an extension, then said they had February available, which I chose.

Still waiting, but it's just coming up on 10 days, now. 

#18 Nakedgun

Nakedgun

Viking 1

Posted 01 February 2020 - 06:02 PM

My backup February issue arrived by manilla envelope today.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics