•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Baking a cookie in space takes 5-6x longer!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 24 January 2020 - 10:42 PM

They tried baking a fresh dough chocolate chip cookie on the space station in an oven at 352 degrees.  On Earth that usually takes about 20 minutes.  Up there it took over 2 hours!!  So something new to figure out.  Imagine cooking a turkey while on a trip to Mars, would take 24 hours!!  I guess no fresh cooked meals on long space flights.  Who will volunteer now to go?? lol.gif

https://www.newser.c...-long-time.html

• eros312 likes this

#2 ButterFly

ButterFly

Messenger

Posted 24 January 2020 - 10:48 PM

That's a whole 'nother level of high altitude adjustment.  Oh my.

#3 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 24 January 2020 - 11:08 PM

They tried baking a fresh dough chocolate chip cookie on the space station in an oven at 352 degrees.  On Earth that usually takes about 20 minutes.  Up there it took over 2 hours!!  So something new to figure out.  Imagine cooking a turkey while on a trip to Mars, would take 24 hours!!  I guess no fresh cooked meals on long space flights.  Who will volunteer now to go?? lol.gif

The cookies appear to be cooked inside a pouch, nothing like normal baking.  I wouldn't expect that to work very well as it will keep the atmosphere around the cookie too moist and serve as an insulating layer as well. 

A drier recipe might overcome some of the limitations imposed by pouch cooking.

• ColoHank and Jim Waters like this

#4 Cali

Cali

Apollo

• Loc: Bay Area

Posted 24 January 2020 - 11:36 PM

Imagine cooking a turkey while on a trip to Mars, would take 24 hours!!  I guess no fresh cooked meals on long space flights.  Who will volunteer now to go?? lol.gif

Yeah but, "In Space No One Can Hear You Scream".

- Cal

Edited by Cali, 24 January 2020 - 11:38 PM.

• BillP likes this

#5 starcam

starcam

Apollo

• Loc: MD

Posted 24 January 2020 - 11:43 PM

Maybe something to do with gravity.....

#6 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 25 January 2020 - 01:04 AM

Replicator on the fritz again?!    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 42.1 Galaxy-class_replicator.jpg

• Cali likes this

#7 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

• Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA

Posted 25 January 2020 - 01:26 AM

They should try the microwave.

#8 ColoHank

ColoHank

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: western Colorado

Posted 25 January 2020 - 03:01 AM

The cookies appear to be cooked inside a pouch, nothing like normal baking.  I wouldn't expect that to work very well as it will keep the atmosphere around the cookie too moist and serve as an insulating layer as well. 

A drier recipe might overcome some of the limitations imposed by pouch cooking.

Oh boy, nothing like the fragrance of chocolate chip cookies baking inside a pouch.

#9 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Aurora

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 25 January 2020 - 03:56 AM

They need to hire some of the staff of El Bulli restaurant. El Bulli was/is in Catalonia. It was a 3 star Michelin restaurant...

"and was described in UK newspaper The Guardian as "the most imaginative generator of haute cuisine on the planet". The restaurant was also associated with molecular gastronomy."

Quoted from Wikipedia

El Bulli eventually had over 1,000,000 requests for reservations yearly, but only 8,000 seatings.

Enter sous vide. Sous vide involves slow, low temperature cooking of ingredients sealed in plastic bags, heated by a water bath. Cooking a steak can take 24 hours or something like that

Sous vide has a long history. It was developed in the USA last century to cook large quantities of food for institutional, restaurant supplies, processed and packaged foods. The benefit in those industries was standardization and control, a handsoff process not requiring chefs to "flip the burgers," and at times over or under cooking them, and lower costs.

It also turns out, if done right things be be really tasty!

It has become a trend among those whose food choices are susceptible to trends. Ironically I suspect those who are the least interested in pretentious fancy cooking trends have been eating sous vide prepared hot dogs since they were knee high to a bun.

There are even purported health benefits.

Outer space food needs to take other factors into consideration, involving unpleasantries of digestion and how to minimize them. At the upper end simple gas in the tummy, due to low pressure issues allowing greater expansion/volume of gas, can cause very painful bloating. Going down the digestive track...okay,we are getting close to too much information.

Back to the cookies. Cooking involves heat, consider it a quantity measured in calories, and intensity, consider that as temperature. And air (or gas) pressure. Maybe they need a pressure cooker.... to cook cookies? scratchhead2.gif

Molecular gastronomy? shrug.gif

#10 B l a k S t a r

B l a k S t a r

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 25 January 2020 - 04:41 PM

Waste of resources on an oven when you can just hang them on the clothesline outside. 

#11 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 25 January 2020 - 11:42 PM

The cookies appear to be cooked inside a pouch, nothing like normal baking. 

Good catch, but not much choice as it is zero G.  If not constrained would probably make the oven one heck of a mess inside.   Might need to engineer a multi-million dollar oven and pouch system that can remedy this problem, otherwise no fresh baked cookies or real thanksgiving dinner on the trip to Mars!! ohmy.gif

#12 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

Posted 26 January 2020 - 02:06 AM

Good catch, but not much choice as it is zero G.  If not constrained would probably make the oven one heck of a mess inside.   Might need to engineer a multi-million dollar oven and pouch system that can remedy this problem, otherwise no fresh baked cookies or real thanksgiving dinner on the trip to Mars!! ohmy.gif

I agree, they don't have a lot of choice.  Contained cooking systems would seem to be a requirement for spacecraft cooking because the spacecraft interior is not one you can really ventilate an oven into without consequences.  In zero G conditions spatter, condensation of steam and oils from cooking would pose major problems. 

And any cookie would seem problematic unless it remains gooey.  Crumbs are a dangerous thing is a weightless environment. 

#13 Mister T

Mister T

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:18 AM

I agree, they don't have a lot of choice.  Contained cooking systems would seem to be a requirement for spacecraft cooking because the spacecraft interior is not one you can really ventilate an oven into without consequences.  In zero G conditions spatter, condensation of steam and oils from cooking would pose major problems. 

And any cookie would seem problematic unless it remains gooey.  Crumbs are a dangerous thing is a weightless environment. 

Also NOTHING would get done with the smell of CC cookies baking, filling the entire station.

#14 Jim_V

Jim_V

ISS

• Loc: Iron Range Lake Ontario

Posted 26 January 2020 - 04:00 PM

Why do they need cookies??? lol.gif

#15 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Aurora

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 26 January 2020 - 04:49 PM

A lot of people would not go to space if they were not allowed to have their cookies!

Edited by Littlegreenman, 26 January 2020 - 05:08 PM.

#16 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Cypress, Tx

Posted 26 January 2020 - 09:53 PM

I remember reading an article in Playboy, yes I read the articles, on how to cook different meals by placing the meals in aluminum foil and placing the meal on the intake manifold of a car. And driving around, of course. Perhaps the future astronauts can plaster their roast on the exhaust side of the warp core. According to my calculations a 5lb roast, with potatoes and carrots, would take 10ms to cook!

Edited by Keith Rivich, 27 January 2020 - 09:53 PM.

• B l a k S t a r likes this

#17 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 January 2020 - 09:54 PM

A lot of people would not go to space if they were not allowed to have their cookies!

They could just take Oreo's. Double stuff.  Much easier...

#18 B l a k S t a r

B l a k S t a r

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 27 January 2020 - 02:02 AM

I remember reading an article in Playboy, yes I read the articles, on how to cook different meals while placing the meals in aluminum foil and placing the meal on the intake manifold of a car. And driving around, of course. Perhaps the future astronauts can plaster their roast on the exhaust side of the warp core. According to my calculations a 5lb roast, with potatoes and carrots, would take 10ms to cook!

Done this with fish in foil and another time a can of something not so good. Works fine if you pay attention to parameters. 

#19 Jim_V

Jim_V

ISS

Posted 27 January 2020 - 11:08 AM

I am not a fan of engine block eggs!

#20 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:58 PM

I am not a fan of engine block eggs!

Oh come on...three eggs on the air filter lid, 4 rasters of bacon on the exhaust manifolds and a piece of toast on the cat converter is a lovely meal. All one needs is a glass of milk in the evaporator core and you are set with a nice breakfast!

• BillP likes this

#21 Jim_V

Jim_V

ISS

Posted 09 February 2020 - 12:39 PM

I'm still waiting for my cookie, will it never cook in zero gravity

#22 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Arizona, USA

Posted 09 February 2020 - 05:00 PM

They need an oven in a centrifuge. Simple!

#23 Jim_V

Jim_V

ISS

Posted 09 February 2020 - 05:34 PM

Why not prebaked? Does the cookie in dough form take up less space or weight? 

#24 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

Posted 10 February 2020 - 04:38 AM

I suppose the assumption is that they would make this from crops/nutrients produced and milled/refined in zero-G conditions or at least produced in non-Terran conditions and prepared/consumed in space.

Personally, I want to see how beverage fermentation proceeds in space...ale and lager yeast are going to be relatively "confused" by a non-gravitationally layered fluid environment.  Dealing with carbon dioxide production might involve a rapidly expanding stable foam head during fermentation, in zero-G that would be a challenge.  

Somehow, I suspect that anything other than a large space structure with some sort of small centrifugal gravity field, is going to find it more efficient to source cooked/prepared foods from a source possessing an appreciable gravitation field. 

#25 Mister T

Mister T

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 10 February 2020 - 05:14 AM

I think they just wanted an excuse to eat the cookie dough.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics