•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

38 Hours into the Eye of the Rose

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Seanem44

Seanem44

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Stafford, VA

Posted 25 January 2020 - 12:46 AM

Long have I wanted to properly image the Rosette Nebula and I finally have an image I am proud of.  In fact, I feel this is my best image to date.  It is a tighter crop of the larger image and focuses on the central region.  Please provide C&C if you have time.  I am always looking to better myself.  I hope you enjoy it.  Link to full image below as the attached image doesn't do it justice.

https://www.astrobin...6ss5/B/?nc=user

ROSE FOR CN.jpg

• PrestonE, Gregory, noodle and 38 others like this

#2 GamesForOne

GamesForOne

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 25 January 2020 - 01:56 AM

Stunning. Like a Hubble pic. I've never noticed all those bubbles and shock fronts before. It's like you can feel the solar winds from those young hot stars.

---

Michael Mc

#3 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 25 January 2020 - 02:41 AM

I like the color palette and the noise is well-controlled while retaining good detail. It's a very nice image. I guess my only request would be to have more color in the stars.

Also, I'm wondering how you got 38 hours of exposure in just the three nights as you reported on AstroBin. Did you use dual scopes and cameras? Even on January 2 and from my location further south the Rosette is only above the horizon for about 12 hours and some of that time is during evening and morning twilight. Maybe this took more than the three nights you reported.

#4 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 25 January 2020 - 04:46 AM

And i was going to start a new thread asking or telling about that either i give up astrophotography or i buy much more gear to keep going, and i am sure my reasons will not be accepted by many here, and one of those reasons is this thread here, anyway, very nice image, good job!

#5 Seanem44

Seanem44

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2020 - 05:34 AM

I like the color palette and the noise is well-controlled while retaining good detail. It's a very nice image. I guess my only request would be to have more color in the stars.

Also, I'm wondering how you got 38 hours of exposure in just the three nights as you reported on AstroBin. Did you use dual scopes and cameras? Even on January 2 and from my location further south the Rosette is only above the horizon for about 12 hours and some of that time is during evening and morning twilight. Maybe this took more than the three nights you reported.

Apologies... it was late when I uploaded and couldn’t figure out how to put multiple days in. It took much more nights. But this past week I had an amazing 4 night clear sky stretch where I got all my OIII and SII.

Edited by Seanem44, 25 January 2020 - 05:36 AM.

#6 Seanem44

Seanem44

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2020 - 11:21 AM

Stunning. Like a Hubble pic. I've never noticed all those bubbles and shock fronts before. It's like you can feel the solar winds from those young hot stars.

---

Michael Mc

Thank you so much!

#7 astrovienna

astrovienna

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: The NoVa White Zone

Posted 25 January 2020 - 11:31 AM

Fantastic, Sean!  The level of detail and the colors are both really well done. Those four nights last week were pretty good, weren't they?

To get color into the stars, lately I've been removing the stars from the narrowband image with StarNet (it's now a process that you can download into PI) and making a star mask, then adding RGB stars into the masked area on the narrowband image.

Kevin

• elmiko likes this

#8 Seanem44

Seanem44

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2020 - 11:36 AM

And i was going to start a new thread asking or telling about that either i give up astrophotography or i buy much more gear to keep going, and i am sure my reasons will not be accepted by many here, and one of those reasons is this thread here, anyway, very nice image, good job!

Its a tough situation.  We all hit a wall.  The change for me came when I built a fence at my house.  I was able to keep my equipment up permanently and that made all the difference in the world to me.  You just got to find what works, and not be afraid to move on or come back later if you can't.

#9 Seanem44

Seanem44

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:35 PM

Fantastic, Sean! The level of detail and the colors are both really well done. Those four nights last week were pretty good, weren't they?

To get color into the stars, lately I've been removing the stars from the narrowband image with StarNet (it's now a process that you can download into PI) and making a star mask, then adding RGB stars into the masked area on the narrowband image.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin! I’ll have to try that down the road... still so much in PI to learn. Haven’t even attempted mure denoise yet.
  • elmiko likes this

#10 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:44 PM

Its a tough situation.  We all hit a wall.  The change for me came when I built a fence at my house.  I was able to keep my equipment up permanently and that made all the difference in the world to me.  You just got to find what works, and not be afraid to move on or come back later if you can't.

My only problem is time, i can't tell the night to be much longer or ask the targets to stay longer in the sky in one night, and going back to it next nights not always the best solution as it is the only way, but i think buy using 2 or 3 systems at once i really can reduce the time spending to collect for each target.

#11 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:19 PM

Tres bien, molto buono, very nice.

I think the Hubble palate brings out detail the typical LRGBHɑ palate misses.

#12 Tim C

Tim C

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Marietta, GA

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:46 PM

Very very nice!

#13 Seanem44

Seanem44

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:41 AM

My only problem is time, i can't tell the night to be much longer or ask the targets to stay longer in the sky in one night, and going back to it next nights not always the best solution as it is the only way, but i think buy using 2 or 3 systems at once i really can reduce the time spending to collect for each target.

You need to treat it as a war and not a battle. Getting images quick is always nice, but the beauty of the hobby is you can combine images taken years apart. I know we want instant gratification, but image what you can when you can. Slowly build up your files. If you have the money though, of course you can have a duel rig. Many do and it does save time.
  • elmiko likes this

#14 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:17 AM

You need to treat it as a war and not a battle. Getting images quick is always nice, but the beauty of the hobby is you can combine images taken years apart. I know we want instant gratification, but image what you can when you can. Slowly build up your files. If you have the money though, of course you can have a duel rig. Many do and it does save time.

Nah, that war or battle isn't a good idea with me, not with my situations, sounds the clear sky isn't the problem with me really, but my general life and family and other situations in life, so for that i don't think i should do imaging for so many years very slow, and, even if i have like second imaging gear it doesn't mean i can't do with one, it is an option that i want to have for times of very bad situations in my life, now 3 years almost gone and i am still not getting one single DSO result that i can be happy with, so if i keep that way with only one single gear or setup it means i will have 10 years experience with results that are half of those who did it in like 4-6 years, so it will be like i wasted much more time than others, mainly in my LP yard, and no one knows about their age time anyway, so i better accelerate things to have enough results first, then later i can relax and use one setup for fun and challenges, and at the end, if i will really buy that high end APO scope then i can't afford another one and thus i will enjoy using that one scope all the time because it is a high end one, but without ignoring the idea of having a multi gear first if possible, 38 hours of this target you did means i need like 9-12 nights straight and clear, otherwise it will be months and years, that is crazy, no guarantee in my life for that.

#15 elmiko

elmiko

Skylab

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 26 January 2020 - 11:51 AM

Sean, this is an excellent image! The color is really well done. And the clean crisp details are superb!

#16 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colchester, VT

Posted 26 January 2020 - 02:18 PM

Very nice image Sean.  Congrats!  Great to see your progress over the last year or two.  Well done. 

• Seanem44 likes this

#17 PhotonHunter1

PhotonHunter1

Viking 1

• Loc: Northwest IL (for now)

Posted 26 January 2020 - 06:51 PM

Amazing detail and nebulosity. Well done!

#18 Seanem44

Seanem44

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 28 January 2020 - 06:57 AM

Very nice image Sean.  Congrats!  Great to see your progress over the last year or two.  Well done. 

Thank you!  I went back and looked at the Rose I did a few years ago, and the one a few years before that...  the difference is night and day. 

This truly is a unique hobby in that I don't think one can ever master it.  Even with post processing individuals are making hubble images better than they were.

#19 Christian-UAE

Christian-UAE

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Abu Dhabi

Posted 28 January 2020 - 11:26 AM

A very nice image. Super colors and clear.
Regards
Christian
  • Seanem44 likes this

#20 Seanem44

Seanem44

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 10 February 2020 - 08:45 AM

A very nice image. Super colors and clear.
Regards
Christian

Thank you Christian!

#21 Michael Deger

Michael Deger

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Munich/Germany

Posted 10 February 2020 - 09:54 AM

excellent details and colors!

Michael

#22 sunnyday

sunnyday

Skylab

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 10 February 2020 - 04:38 PM

wow nice

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics