•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

installing my new focuser

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 25 January 2020 - 03:30 AM

Thank you Leon, for a great product, and great service! I am surprised how easy it was to install. However since I have no experience with these, there are still need to test it to make sure I installed it 100% correct. For example I am not sure if I did it right and whether the gears mesh and be flush 100%. (from the angle of the picture they look not in mesh but they are much more in mesh than that appearance. ) The reason why I am not sure about that is because there is a single bracket on the DC motor so the motor assembly, and this is only according to my limited understanding, is not totally locked into place. Well it does go into place using red thumbscrews but I am not 100% sure yet on the connections. It appears to me to be a terrific design and I am thankful that this vendor has been available to help me every step (except at 12:30 AM in the morning when I too should be sleeping, instead I just had to finish installing it.)

The skies should be clear tomorrow night for my first experience with auto focus mono imaging.  

Lord knows I need it because tonight my reds were in the 3's and when I switched to greens my focus went up to 12!

Attached Thumbnails

• focus wheel.2.jpg
  • focus wheelss.gif

Edited by Ballyhoo, 25 January 2020 - 03:32 AM.

#2 mistateo

mistateo

Apollo

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 25 January 2020 - 03:59 AM

You should be able to loosen the grub screw that holds the gear on the focuser and slide it out to mesh up better yes?

#3 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2020 - 01:05 PM

You should be able to loosen the grub screw that holds the gear on the focuser and slide it out to mesh up better yes?

thank you,

do you have the same model?

#4 Dereksc

Dereksc

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Cruz, CA

Posted 25 January 2020 - 02:15 PM

Assuming you are using the correct gears then the gear on the motor shaft can be aligned to the gear on the focus shaft using the allen wrench that was provided. The gears should line up and be perpendicular to the shafts. The springs have to be somewhat compressed to maintain adequate gear meshing and reduce backlash.

I have Rigel n-step on three different telescopes and it works well when correctly installed.

Regards

Derek

#5 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2020 - 02:51 PM

Assuming you are using the correct gears then the gear on the motor shaft can be aligned to the gear on the focus shaft using the allen wrench that was provided. The gears should line up and be perpendicular to the shafts. The springs have to be somewhat compressed to maintain adequate gear meshing and reduce backlash.

I have Rigel n-step on three different telescopes and it works well when correctly installed.

Regards

Derek

thank you,

Can anyone recommend how to test this inside at home?  

#6 Madratter

Madratter

Voyager 1

Posted 25 January 2020 - 02:54 PM

Scope pointing up, camera in the train placing all the weight on the system it can. See if the focuser can move things in and out smoothly. I strongly suggest you don't go to this acid test right away but ease into it. You don't want to strip gears, end up with expensive cameras on the floor in multiple pieces, etc. I.e. do things horizontal first. If something sounds off, stop immediately if not sooner.

#7 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 25 January 2020 - 03:34 PM

I have several Rigels. 

1) You should adjust the two wheels to be both on the same plane. It's a bit of a pain initially, but it need only be done once. 

2) The way I mesh is to turn either both red screws together or do one a bit then the other a bit and repeat. I go with small steps until I feel it starts getting hard to lower further. If you have strong fingers be careful, butterfly wins over gorilla.

You definitely don't want to overdo it. It is easy to inspect visually, even in the dark, if you have a bright LED headlamp as you should.

• psandelle and Ballyhoo like this

#8 StephenW

StephenW

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 25 January 2020 - 03:36 PM

I'd suggest the following test strategy:

1) First loosen the red knob tension screws to fully disengage the motor cog from the cog on your focuser shaft

2) Adjust the focuser shaft cog so that it aligns with the motor cog

3) With the motor cog still disengaged, use the nStep app to make sure that nStep motor rotates in and out when commanded to:  If you cannot do this from the nStep app then SGP (or any other app) won;t be able to control the motor

4) With the motor cog still disengaged, manually move your telescope focuser in and out.  It should move smoothly with minimal resistance (if there is too much resistance e.g. if you have a focuser lock over tightened, then you risk damaging the teeth on the cogs once they are engaged.

5) If all of the above works, tighten the red tension screws to that the two cogs fully mesh

6) Again using the nStep app, verify that you can now move the focuser in and out.

Some notes:

- The motor moves in very small increments, so you will need to move it quite a bit to see the focuser actually move: best to just watch the cogs and confirm that they are moving and change direction as you move in/out

- You are going to need some trial and error in setting up SGP to configure the right step size and backlash settings.  Once determined though, you should not have to adjust again

- Each night before use you should follow the following routine:

-- Manually focus using a mask (you can either disengage the nStep using the red tension screws, or just use the nStep app to move the focuser and get you focused)

-- Reset the focuser position in the nStep app to it's "base" setting (position 1800 if I remember)

-- Remove the mask wink.gif

-- Let's SGP take it from there...

Edited by StephenW, 25 January 2020 - 03:37 PM.

• psandelle and Ballyhoo like this

#9 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2020 - 05:10 PM

Thank you for all your help.

I have the Nstep app and everything connected per the manual ( I think).

But in the device driver the Nstep is not appearing.

Attached Thumbnails

• dev.gif

#10 StephenW

StephenW

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 January 2020 - 05:47 PM

Mine appears under Ports (COM & LPT) as a USB Serial device

nSTep_control_panel.jpg

• psandelle likes this

#11 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:23 PM

I think in my case, I need some way to provide power to the DC motor.  I used the parts I have, but I see there is something missing where the Nstep port is, on the side of the "P."  Looks like what powers it up, is it like a USB on one side, and an 12 volt DC to the other? 

as said I need some powered connection to go in where the red circle is.... 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200125_141621 (2).jpg

Edited by Ballyhoo, 25 January 2020 - 06:23 PM.

#12 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:25 PM

The great thing, anyone reading my threads when they get their Rigel, they should know how to get is all connected. My threads are always, "AP for dummies."

grin.gif

#13 StephenW

StephenW

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:26 PM

Yup, it does need to be plugged into a power source... :)

There should have been a printed instruction sheet that came with it showing you what you have to do....or just look here:

http://rigel.datacor...STEP manual.pdf

• psandelle likes this

#14 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:27 PM

Yup, it does need to be plugged into a power source... smile.gif

There should have been a printed instruction sheet that came with it showing you what you have to do....or just look here:

http://rigel.datacor...STEP manual.pdf

I have that instruction sheet, that is how I know I am needing a power cord. But I do not have anything that fit the bill.

edit

from the instruction sheet looks like just a double USB cord.... not sure but that could be an off the shelf item.

edit,,

HE gave me what I needed actually. i see it.

Edited by Ballyhoo, 25 January 2020 - 06:38 PM.

#15 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:40 PM

in a short time, w addition of various devices I am drowning in cords and plugs. 

#16 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:48 PM

brave new world.

Attached Thumbnails

• reccs.jpg

Edited by Ballyhoo, 25 January 2020 - 07:29 PM.

#17 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:55 PM

I do not think there is any way around, now I am going to have to read the full section in SGP on auto-focus.  

every new piece a gear means new commitment. but I look forward to what it can finally do for me. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics