•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade LX600 polar alignment

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Lindhard

Lindhard

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: N 55° 30' -- E 8° 26'

Posted 25 January 2020 - 05:46 AM

Now and then I want to do a polar alignment with my LX600, and I use the automatic drift alignment method. 

As it is said in the manual, the telescope slews to a southern star and begin monitoring the stars’ drift.

My problem is that I have some city-light pollution in the south, so the stars are less easy to find there.

I would think that Starlock would pick one of the brighter stars in the area, but Starlock end up tracking on a rather dim star, even if there are brighter and more suitable stars next to it.

Sometimes it works fine, but it often ends with a “star lost” message and I have to start over.

Is there a way to choose the star myself?

#2 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:33 PM

Starlock would opt for a star not too bright and not too dim, too bright it would not get a good notice of drift.   You might hold off 30 minutes to an hour after dark before attempting that type of auto drift.  You can shut starlock off and do a manual drift test though.  Another possibility is to put a light shield extension on the end of the starlock to help cut down on the off axis light which might be messing with calibration. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics