•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Old Sketch awarded in CN Competition July 2009 Reworked January 2020

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 25 January 2020 - 12:37 PM

Dear CN Technical Sketchers

I know it's been a long time but I'd like to say hello again and possibly submit a new work. As a Sky & Telescope photo editor requested my old sketch image from July 2009, to display in their upcoming May 2020 issue, I informed him that it was rough and never completed. So I decided if it is not to plagiarize ones own artwork, or further embellish it, with more observations and striving to work at the art board in the middle of winter under clouds and rain, whats else a poor artist to do? I had a few nights in early January to capture some quick observations of the waning gibbous moon, to make quick sketch notes, yet lo and behold, continuous clouds and rain prevailed.  

I would welcome any questions, comments, and criticisms.

* What is seen here in a rough compilation that I made up today, is a progression from the original 2009 sketch work at left, a midway start to rework from more telescopic observations, to a surmised new finished work at right. * There is also a superfluous other smaller and later work laying on the drawing table at left center, which I referred to about adding color to this older work, and now newer work. *Also Note: In the reworked new sketch at right, the original terminator line at right is left remaining in the original near black and white. 

Thank you,

Mark Seibold, Artist-Astronomer, Portland Oregon 

Attached Thumbnails

• _DSC0265-Lunar-Sketch-New-Reworked-from-July-2009---January-25-2020.jpg

Edited by markseibold, 25 January 2020 - 12:41 PM.

• Mel Bartels, Uwe Pilz, eros312 and 4 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics