•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky-Watcher refractor case and Moisture

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tog

tog

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Front Yard

Posted 25 January 2020 - 05:21 PM

The case that comes with the Sky-Watcher 100mm Evostar ED is pretty nice, but contains lots of cardboard. I sometimes have trouble remembering to close the lids on my gear once I begin to set up. You know how well cardboard and moisture like to get together in the dark! I thought about just removing all the cardboard from the case and replacing it with something else. But I didn't want to have to rip out all that foam so looked for another solution. I think I found something that might work-"plasti-dip". I laid down three coats of plasti-dip and let it dry for a day or two. The cardboard seemed to soak it up nicely until the 3rd coat was applied. I hit the edges of the cardboard heavy trying to seal them. Here is a pic of the results. Sky-Watcher, if you are reading this please use something else that does not attract moisture-Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4506.JPG

Edited by tog, 25 January 2020 - 05:22 PM.

• barbarosa likes this

#2 petert913

petert913

Soyuz

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 25 January 2020 - 05:30 PM

Great idea !!  Sell it to SkyWatcher :)

• barbarosa likes this

#3 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 25 January 2020 - 05:48 PM

As I recall my Skywatcher 72ED came with that stuff in the case. That was about 5 months back.

I know it is a foam and looks very much as the image - glossy black stuff, fairly firm, but it is foam.

Just looked: All internal sections are made from single foam sheets each about 3mm thick, glued I assume together. One is 5 sheets, another 6 sheets and the third is 8 sheets. These form the U shape into which the scope "drops". The 2 ends are rectangles of 8 or 10 sheets - sufficent to hold just compress the focuser end and objective ends inwards .

Seems a bit of an odd construction - lots of glued, either precut or glued and cut sheets.

Seems odd you got cardboard, never heard of it here.

#4 houndsbourgh

houndsbourgh

Vostok 1

• Loc: Hailey, Idaho

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:07 PM

Cool idea! My SW Evostar 120ED came with the same case. The foam is divided by cardboard. I was thinking there had to be some solution without damaging the foam. 

• tog likes this

#5 JoeVanGeaux

JoeVanGeaux

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: SETX

Posted 25 January 2020 - 07:08 PM

I just happened upon this post.  If I'm seeing the photo correctly, that's a fairly straight piece of rectangular cardboard being used as a divider.

In both Home Depot, Lowes and most craft shops, there is a product called Coroplast - which is basically a corrugated plastic.  It seems to only come in white and translucent, as I recall.  The stuff would probably take Krylon Fusion paint pretty well, too, if you wanted to get arsty.  This is what a lot of campaign and realty roadside signs are made of.

Best of luck!

Joe

• tog likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics