•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

RPC Server Unavailable 8-(

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:12 PM

I have started using a PegasusAstro EQDIR Bluetooth for EQMOD box to control my AZ/EQ-G mount. The box works great but every once in a while things just stop working as can be seen when the Alt-Az number on EQMod stop changing.

CdC puts out a "RPC server unavailable" error.

How can this be corrected?

Will guiding help by keeping the connection alive by sending continuous commands to the mount? I'm currently not guiding, just testing in the livingroom.

Thanks,

Miguel   8-)

#2 RaulTheRat

RaulTheRat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:40 PM

Sorry to bring bad news Miguel but I had the same issue when I had exactly the same mount and eqmod adapter. I don't believe the Bluetooth version can be reliable.

I bought a wired version instead (also from Pegasus astro) and that didn't give me any problems. I think you'll have to do the same.

#3 OldManSky

OldManSky

Gemini

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:58 PM

Bluetooth gets really flaky, even the best Bluetooth implementations, beyond a few feet.  It's just too weak much further out, and the slightest interference makes it lose its mind. :(  

#4 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 January 2020 - 07:38 PM

You guys are bringing me bad news.

I have been using a EQDir cable since I started, but now I have put a mini computer on the scope and I was hoping to avoid having to run the cable from the computer to the mount connection. I guess I will have to use the cable. Oh well, I gave it a try.

Is there such a thing as a Wifi EQDir?

Thanks Guys

Miguel   8-)

Edited by PirateMike, 25 January 2020 - 07:54 PM.

#5 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 January 2020 - 07:54 PM

I did find this... http://instein.eu/wifidir.htm

Now the question is... Can my mini computer connect to this and still be connected by wifi to my remote computer?

Miguel   8-)

Edited by PirateMike, 25 January 2020 - 07:58 PM.

#6 RaulTheRat

RaulTheRat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:42 PM

Yes that was the same reason I tried it, in an attempt to have only one cable to the scope (power) and have nothing coming down from the scope top PC.

The WiFi version looks worth a try if you're willing to take a chance on it. There's nothing as reliable as a cable for sure, but it might be fine and I think worth trying if the cost is reasonable.
  • PirateMike likes this

#7 RaulTheRat

RaulTheRat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:45 PM

Re being connected to it at the same time as home WiFi, looking at the screenshots on that site it can operate in station mode, in other words you give it the ssid and password of your WiFi (the same one your scope top pc is connected to) and it connects as a client. Your scope top PC will then just need the virtual com port software configured with the IP address of the EQdir box and it should work.
  • PirateMike likes this

#8 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:32 PM

It is on the way. I figure if I could spend $50 on something that doesn't work then spending another $50 on something that should work would be ok.

If it doesn't work then I'll just use the (cost free) cable that I already have.

It seems that my wallet would have appreciated that I never had the idea to go without a cable. lol.gif

Miguel   8-)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics