•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Avx mount shortcut ?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 HarryBnBad

HarryBnBad

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:11 PM

Hey is there a shortcut for returning to home position with just the stock hand controller?

Sure would be a nice feature. I keep mine on a rolling trolly (diy), I always feel safer when rolling it around in home position.

#2 mbechtel

mbechtel

Explorer 1

• Loc: Bloomington Indiana

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:20 PM

Park? I used to have an AVX and did that all the time.

#3 bdyer22

bdyer22

Ranger 4

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:30 PM

Yes, It's under menu ==> telescope ==> Goto to Home (or something like that)

#4 SkipW

SkipW

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma, USA

Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:14 PM

Menu -> Utilities -> Home Position -> Go To

• Michael Covington likes this

#5 HarryBnBad

HarryBnBad

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 January 2020 - 09:32 AM

Yes. I know how to find it under utilities.

I'm hoping for a quick 1 button shortcut.

Thanks

#6 WadeH237

WadeH237

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:04 AM

I'm hoping for a quick 1 button shortcut.

There isn't one.

How often are you sending the mount home, that it's a hardship to use the menus?  Personally, I rarely send the mount home more than once per session, at the end.

• SonnyE likes this

#7 SonnyE

SonnyE

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 26 January 2020 - 03:17 PM

I never encountered a fast trip home with mine. If you do it enough, it becomes rote.

But since I ran it remotely a lot, I'd initiate it inside and it was home when I got out there to gather up my telescope and Baby Dell.

I always used Polaris as my home position. Made it easier to start the next night.

But anytime you dismount your telescope, or every start up, you need to check the PA, then begin your routine.

Edited by SonnyE, 26 January 2020 - 03:19 PM.

#8 aa6ww

aa6ww

Vanguard

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 03 February 2020 - 12:46 AM

The last thing I try to do when im out with my astronomy gear is try to rush. What for, I'm home, comfortable, relaxing. I try to make things last longer so I'm out longer. 

I might be rushed to get home, but once I'm in astro mode, Its easy peasy and lazy daisy for me.

..... Ralph

#9 HarryBnBad

HarryBnBad

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 February 2020 - 08:33 PM

"easy peasy and lazy daisy"

Got that right.

#10 HarryBnBad

HarryBnBad

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 February 2020 - 08:36 PM

Wow...

I never thought about using polaris.....

That my point, trying to hit home position before rolling my gear back into the garage.

#11 SkipW

SkipW

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 February 2020 - 02:25 PM

GoTo Polaris will likely put the RA axis in some odd position - whatever the hour angle of Polaris happens to be at that moment convolved with whatever polar misalignment the pointing model is correcting for.

I don't see why GoTo Home would be a big time saver for most users when getting ready to pack up for the night. If you can start the process via the hand control or through some program and be doing something else while it's slewing that's one thing, but how long does it take to unlock the axes, rotate the telescope to approximately the index positions, then re-clamp the axes, anyway? 

#12 SonnyE

SonnyE

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 04 February 2020 - 03:14 PM

Wow...

I never thought about using polaris.....

That my point, trying to hit home position before rolling my gear back into the garage.

Well, you don't use Polaris. Because like Skip said, you will get something besides your beginning position where the course (very course) markers are to begin with.

Instead, you have your mount at the beginning marks, and adjust your Elevation and azimuth to center up Polaris. The textbook starting point for an AVX. (I use to do my Polaris aiming via my Main Telescope)

Then go into your hand control and set that position as your HOME position. Kapish? wink.gif

When you go into the hand control and tell the AVX to Go-To Home, the mount comes back to being parked for the next night. Unless you move the mount!

If you move the mount (As in roll it back inside) you've lost all your hard work. The next time you roll it out, everything has changed. Slightly, even if you hit the same spots, but the mount has been moved.

Still, the Alt and Az will be pretty close to begin with.

I do DSO imaging, so I am far more critical than most about my Polar alignment, and leave my mount set up for years. (Yep, years.) I only remove my telescope at the clamp after unplugging my harness, and covered the mount until the next night or session. So when I set my Telescope back in the clamp it was close to Polaris (And the North Celestial Pole. NCP). But I would have to tweak my ALT by changing the pressure on the ALT adjuster. That is ALTitude, just to be clear.

But if you bring the mount in, or dolly it around, you basically need to start almost from scratch.

You need to understand that even .001" on Earth, equates to a long ways in relation to outer space. And can miss by a mile.

But in my opinion, HOME for most mounts would be best served by using the basic starting point for that particular mount.

These are things I learned over years of fine tuning with my AVX. If mine hadn't have had the bad electronics I would still be using it. But 3 failures in 4 years was enough. I'm moving on to a much better mount.

Glad to share what I've learned from fighting my AVX into shape, though. Good luck to you! wink.gif

#13 HarryBnBad

HarryBnBad

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:47 AM

Wow, seems like this discussion has gotten way out of hand.

#14 HarryBnBad

HarryBnBad

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:57 AM

I was only looking at an alternative way to select home position. Without having to restart the mount, or loosening the clutches.

My Avx works great. And I believe a big reason is because I dont move the clutches and keep it at home position.

I dont use Polaris. Oh, except for checking PA.

I've got 2 Mark's drilled into my driveway, and 2 on my trolly. Very consistent and repeatable.

Drill operated leveling legs, with the attached Avx level. Very, very quick to setup.

And now my newest accessorie is using a xbox bluetooth controller.

I'm just having an issue getting back to home position before rolling back into the garage.
  • mclewis1 likes this

#15 WadeH237

WadeH237

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:56 PM

I'm just having an issue getting back to home position before rolling back into the garage.

This is the part that I don't understand.

What is wrong with Menu->Utilities->Home Position->Goto?

#16 HarryBnBad

HarryBnBad

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 February 2020 - 03:08 PM

This is the part that I don't understand.

What is wrong with Menu->Utilities->Home Position->Goto?

It depends on how I'm connected to the mount.

If I connect thru wifi, I lose internet.

If I connect with usb, I have to power cycle off/on to regain hc control do to it going into bootlegged mode. (what ever its called)

I'm go to ng to get the celestron focuser. I'm under the impression that it has a few ports that may help.

#17 WadeH237

WadeH237

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 February 2020 - 05:17 PM

I guess that I still don't understand.

Why does connecting through USB mess up the hand controller?  I connect to my AVX via USB and the hand controller works fine.

As for internet vs. wifi, I assume that your issue is that if you use your laptop's wifi to connect to whatever dongle you have connected to the mount, then your laptop won't be on your home wifi?  If so, then it should be possible to configure the dongle at the AVX to act as a wifi client, and not a wifi hotspot.  That way, your laptop could connect to the AVX via your home wifi.

Perhaps it would help if you described your complete setup and what you are trying to do.

#18 SkipW

SkipW

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 February 2020 - 07:43 PM

I guess that I still don't understand.

Why does connecting through USB mess up the hand controller?  I connect to my AVX via USB and the hand controller works fine.

That happens if you use CPWI to align and control the telescope. CPWI replaces the functionality of the HC and puts the physical HC into a passthrough mode, so it's inactive. The only way to get it out of that mode is to power cycle the mount.

This discussion is split between two threads, so some info is in this one and some is in the other.

#19 kel123

kel123

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 05 February 2020 - 08:31 PM

I have never heard before that loosening the clutches damages AVX. This should be some old school thinking.

#20 HarryBnBad

HarryBnBad

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 February 2020 - 08:40 PM

No.

Never meant it to sound like it damages the Avx.

I just haven't had to move the clutches (on purpose) I really feel its increased my easy setup, and accurate gotos.

#21 kel123

kel123

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 05 February 2020 - 08:51 PM

No.

Never meant it to sound like it damages the Avx.

I just haven't had to move the clutches (on purpose) I really feel its increased my easy setup, and accurate gotos.

On the contrary, I hope it does not have some negative effects that you never disengage the clutches.

#22 WadeH237

WadeH237

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 February 2020 - 08:52 PM

This discussion is split between two threads, so some info is in this one and some is in the other.

Ok.  That helps a lot.

Doesn't CPWI have a park command?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics