•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Chroma Disaster

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 D Kusz

D Kusz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Vernon BC Canada

Posted 25 January 2020 - 11:08 PM

Hello,

Looking for advice with my Chroma 36mm 3nm OIII filter. Here is the story, I just received my filter and it was sitting on my workbench in the box. I go into the kitchen, while in the kitchen my 3 year old son proceeds to go onto the work bench, grab the box and open it. My son bring me this shiny thing he opened with a big smile on his face like he found a jewel. After about 3 second, I almost had a stroke realizing what it was!! Covered in fingerprints and a very small scratch near the edge. What can I do to recover this filter if possible??

Thanks All!!!

#2 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximenez (No one expects the Spanish Inquisition)

• Administrators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 25 January 2020 - 11:49 PM

Man, that stinks.

I suspect you can just clean it really well. There are various instructions around Cloudy Nights depending on how compulsive & careful you want to be. Since your filter isn't exactly pristine at this point, you may not need to be quite so careful.

When I need to clean a filter (or any optics, actually), I use a high-grade ethanol (the higher the proof and the fewer the additives the better), cotton swabs, Kimwipes and a bulb blower. First I blow it off thoroughly to remove any dust or loose debris. Next, I dip the swab into the alcohol and lightly brush it across the surface of the filter. I then blow air on the filter to dry off some of the excess alcohol and then very delicately blot & wipe the remainder of the alcohol off with the Kimwipe. I then blow again with the bulb.

After I do both sides of the filter, I'll hold the filter up to a bright light and spot treat any remaining smudges or dust on each side.

At this point, I put it into the wheel as quickly as possible and keep the thing covered if it has to sit around while I do other filters.

As for the scratch, If the scratch is near the edge, you're probably fine. See what a new set of flats will do for you.

Best of luck.

• Stelios, santafe retiree, bobzeq25 and 2 others like this

#3 ezwheels

ezwheels

Viking 1

• Loc: Oakland, CA.

Posted 26 January 2020 - 02:41 AM

After the spanking, do what Ken recommends.

Just kidding.... But what Ken recommends is spot on. Pun not intended.

#4 RJF-Astro

RJF-Astro

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Zeist, Netherlands

Posted 26 January 2020 - 03:51 AM

Ah that hurts, although I am sure it will be fine. Marks on the filter appear quite out of focus and dim in the image, if you see them at all. Especially with a fast scope.

Note to self: be extra vigilant when leaving my 3 and 6 year old near anything telescope related...

#5 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colchester, VT

Posted 26 January 2020 - 06:11 AM

Email chroma. You might be able to send it back for a little TLC.
  • nimitz69 likes this

#6 WadeH237

WadeH237

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 26 January 2020 - 07:47 AM

Kids :)

When my son was about the same age as yours, I was showing him a new radio control airplane.  I hadn't installed the radio and engine yet, and he wanted to see the engine.  I handed it to him, and he promptly tossed it through the wing of the plane.  It was 100% my fault, for allowing it to happen, so I just smiled and picked it up.  I fixed the plane in short order and it flew great.

Your filter is probably fine.  Ken's suggesting in post 2 is spot on.

It'll be a great story to tell one day.

#7 PittsDriver

PittsDriver

Sputnik

• Loc: Sandy, Utah

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:27 AM

Your lucky, my retriever would have eaten it and brought the soggy half eaten box to me as a gift!

Rich

• Stelios and OldManSky like this

#8 OldManSky

OldManSky

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 26 January 2020 - 11:21 AM

When he was 5, my son decided (while I was gone) that he wanted to see how eyepieces worked, so he took an 18mm Radian from my eyepiece case, took it apart, then re-assembled it...with the lenses and spacers all in the wrong places.  I didn't find out until I put it up here for sale.  I decided it was better to encourage his curiosity (with limits!) than ream him for it...

It will probably be fine with a good cleaning.  Let us know how it turns out!

• mikefulb likes this

#9 John Miele

John Miele

Soyuz

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 26 January 2020 - 03:38 PM

My daughter at around age 4ish helped me "clean" my 16" f4.5 mirror that I had just washed and left sitting on the dining room table. She helped by wiping some dust off with her little fingers...shocked.gif

After recovering from the ensuing minor Myocardial infarction, I simply rewashed the mirror and never noticed anything wrong with it.

I'll bet you can clean it and you will never notice the difference. After a while you will forget it but hopefully you will alwyas crakc a smile years later when you think about it. 

#10 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 26 January 2020 - 04:12 PM

Lucky that i don't have any more kids at those ages, my both daughters are above 15 anyway and they never care about my stuff as they have their own stuff, but before in the past i got so many times my laptop or tablet screen scratched by them, that was the past and i lived with that memory, if i started Astro very earlier while they were still babies then i will never leave my stuff any near of them or being exposed so they sneak behind me and have some damages around my stuff, i completely blame parents here, not the kids.

#11 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 26 January 2020 - 04:29 PM

You guys are very lucky to have wonderful kids full of life and curiosity and a sense of wonder, I'd trade a house full of filters and scopes for one...

• ezwheels, OldManSky, Swordfishy and 2 others like this

#12 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----

Posted 26 January 2020 - 04:32 PM

You guys are very lucky to have wonderful kids full of life and curiosity and a sense of wonder, I'd trade a house full of filters and scopes for one...

Buy one kid .......... ahm ahm, sorry, i mean adopt one.

Kids are the gift from above, so i know how my life is with them, in fact we keep telling them that they are our souls and lives, the feeling of fatherhood is the greatest in the world really, and that what preventing me many times to go out for imaging.

#13 D Kusz

D Kusz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Vernon BC Canada

Posted 26 January 2020 - 04:43 PM

Thank you very much Ken, Took your suggestions and it worked out great. The filter is saved and all is well. Its been cloudy for 2 months straight, and my son keeps asking " Daddy, can we look through telescope at stars?"......nothing better in the world than that!

• Stelios, Ken Sturrock, Madratter and 2 others like this

#14 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----

Posted 26 January 2020 - 04:46 PM

Thank you very much Ken, Took your suggestions and it worked out great. The filter is saved and all is well. Its been cloudy for 2 months straight, and my son keeps asking " Daddy, can we look through telescope at stars?"......nothing better in the world than that!

No doubt, really what is better than that!!!

#15 DeanS

DeanS

Skylab

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 26 January 2020 - 05:01 PM

Several years ago at the Peach State Star Gaze door prize drawing and ticket was called for a 9mm Nagler.  A father told his very young son it was his ticket and go get his prize.   Kid did and immediately ran over to a dirt pile and started playing it with :)   Never seen a guy run so fast ;)

#16 jmiller1001

jmiller1001

Mariner 2

• Loc: Bay Area, CA

Posted 26 January 2020 - 05:34 PM

When my son was three, he told me that he "helped me wash the car."  He sandpapered the quarter panel of my Porsche....He's 20 and he's still alive....somehow....

• John Miele, Ken Sturrock and RJF-Astro like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics