•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mars, 2020-01-25

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AvaniSoares

AvaniSoares

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Canoas, Brazil

Posted 26 January 2020 - 12:43 AM

VhFTL3wAwh2v_1824x0_Ck9MH5eT.jpg

Mars, 2020-01-25
With good seeing everything is possible. Even with low planet and high humidity many details can be visible if the atmosphere is calm. In this photo of Mars we can see several formations that can be compared with the central photo obtained in Virtual Planet Atlas. There are two cloud formations, one over Chryse Planitia and the other over Isidis Planitia. However, what draws the most attention is Hellas Planitia located to the south that many may think is the South Pole in visual observation.
A photo that I really liked for a distance of 2 AU and only 4.7 "of arc.
https://www.astrobin...q5qq/0/?nc=user

• John Boudreau, eros312, kbev and 3 others like this

#2 Foc

Foc

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 26 January 2020 - 01:41 AM

Very good images of a miniature Mars in a high quality and informative presentation.  Picking up clouds at that distance with a C9.25 is quite amazing. Are you saying that is not in fact cloud over Hellas Planitia?  I do not remember I have seen that feature so white in the previous opposition.

#3 kbev

kbev

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Far, far east Mesa

Posted 26 January 2020 - 02:37 AM

Are you saying that is not in fact cloud over Hellas Planitia?  I do not remember I have seen that feature so white in the previous opposition.

It likely is clouds/fog in Hellas.  I think the point he was making was that many people who only casually observe Mars (or are seeing it for the first time) think that Hellas is the southern ice cap. 

#4 AvaniSoares

AvaniSoares

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Canoas, Brazil

Posted 26 January 2020 - 05:03 PM

It likely is clouds/fog in Hellas.  I think the point he was making was that many people who only casually observe Mars (or are seeing it for the first time) think that Hellas is the southern ice cap. 

Exactly that colleague kbev!
I have a lot of difficulty with English, I write using the translator exclusively and he doesn't always make the text very understandable.

• kbev likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics