•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Royal Astro 4" f10 Newt rebuild...

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#51 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 17 February 2020 - 07:43 PM

Yeah...I'm a bit OCD & ott on that Steven! lol.gif But I do take your point of greater f/ratios being much more forgiving! waytogo.gif

A nice close-up or 2 of your finder scope would be most appreciated: I got a finder with a focusable Swift microscope ep with my scope that is very good/excellent, but I've made an RA one due to ongoing neck/shoulder/back issues at my age...but I would be interested in seeing one of the originals close-up from a couple of different angles, regardless..! smile.gif

#52 stevenk

stevenk

Ranger 4

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 18 February 2020 - 04:35 AM

Sure what specifically about the finder would you like photo'd- ?

Edited by stevenk, 18 February 2020 - 06:30 AM.

#53 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 February 2020 - 07:25 AM

...just a pikky or 2 showing it & the specs please Steven: I meant to ask Charlie & I'd like to hear what sort of quality, but never got around to it.

Also, I find it interesting that they were in Victorian schools which must mean there are quite a few around, but I really haven't heard anything - perhaps I just don't look in the right places...any Oz-focused internet sales sites you can recommend other than Gumtree, Trading Post & sometimes eBay..?

#54 CharlieB

CharlieB

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 18 February 2020 - 07:42 AM

Here are a few.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0020 - Edited.jpg
  • DSC_0017 - Edited.jpg
  • DSC_0015 - Edited.jpg
  • DSC_0019 - Edited.jpg

#55 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 February 2020 - 07:21 PM

Thanks Charlie - is that a sliding drawtube on the ep or is that an adjustable objective with a locking ring for focusing..?

I also note what looks like one end component of a sliding c/weight for ota balace in your piks - is this something else I've also missed, or an added luxury option..? lol.gif

I also notice that Steven's scope has a pair of ota rings holding the scope whereas mine has a clam-shell clamp-type which I've posted here...I cannot see what you had Charlie from any of the piks you sent me..?

#56 CharlieB

CharlieB

Aurora

• Moderators

Posted 18 February 2020 - 08:01 PM

The finder eyepiece is fixed, not sliding.  Yes, the finder objective is focusable and the ring does lock it. That thing on the end of the scope is part of a camera holder.  There is a rod that connects the base to another part of the holder.  It really messes up the balance, so I don't keep it on the scope. 

#57 stevenk

stevenk

Ranger 4

Posted 19 February 2020 - 04:39 AM

Guys with regard to other classified sites here we have astrobuysell.com.au and iceinspace 

But i can tell you that the clamshell mount was a later modification to this model - the earlier ones had rings as I am led to believe. 

Thanks to Charlie for his pictures - but do you need any other photos ?

Steve

#58 CharlieB

CharlieB

Aurora

• Moderators

Posted 19 February 2020 - 06:22 AM

Mine has the rings.  The first time I saw the clamshell was in the 1978 Optica b/c catalog.  All earlier Optica and Royal Astro catalogs have rings on the LN4-E.

Attached Thumbnails

• LN4-E.jpg

#59 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 February 2020 - 07:49 PM

Guys with regard to other classified sites here we have astrobuysell.com.au and iceinspace 

But i can tell you that the clamshell mount was a later modification to this model - the earlier ones had rings as I am led to believe. 

Thanks to Charlie for his pictures - but do you need any other photos ?

Steve

Mine has the rings.  The first time I saw the clamshell was in the 1978 Optica b/c catalog.  All earlier Optica and Royal Astro catalogs have rings on the LN4-E.

Interesting question fellas - it'd be nice to know the serial numbers of each of your models...Charlie places 1978 as the likely clamshell appearance here - I do know that Tasco had clamshells almost identical back in 1970/71 & in fact the restored & painted one I've shown in this thread is from one of their mounts of that era which fits perfectly for the Royal Astro, albeit it is for a different 4.5" scope...I restored it & added a short dovetail bar to allow me to mount it on a modern mount whenever I desire.

Perhaps "almost identical" is the important point however: the RA clamshell has the Dec tangent arm worm assembly ends as part of the casting along with other necessary differences to the Tasco etc castings, which are separate to those mounts' tangent assemblies...meaning the switch to a clamshell by Royal Astro would've involved a major changeover to a substantially different casting at the top...

Anyone know when these scopes ceased being produced..?

Not doubting you people...but all this is part of the interest in all these "classics" to me beyond just the scopes themselves! wink.gif

Anyway, here's my Royal Astro's I.D. tag which I thought I'd posted before although I couldn't find a pikky so I took one just then. smile.gif

RoyalAstroFocuser-IDplate.png

#60 stevenk

stevenk

Ranger 4

Posted Yesterday, 04:46 AM

Hi Guys mine is a very early model 

Number 121300- 

The catalogs I had which I received directly from Royal Astro show it with rings and that is somewhere around late 60s to early 70s 

I wish I had more info 

Steve

#61 stevenk

stevenk

Ranger 4

Posted Yesterday, 04:56 AM

I don't have the original catalog any more but....

This was received by me from the same Royal Astro employee and I had scanned and sent this out via this forum a few years back and later found it uploaded by one of the recipients

https://web.archive....yal_catalog.pdf

This has the LN4e

Some scopes we all want listed in this !!

Edited by stevenk, Yesterday, 05:24 AM.

#62 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 06:02 AM

Thanks very much for this catalogue pdf Steven..! waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif  What droolers...drool.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics