•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AP 6" f12 Super Planetary Lens Issue

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 stephenws

stephenws

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 08 February 2020 - 08:38 PM

I did receive an RA number from George at AP. They are only a couple hours drive from my home, so I took some time off work to run it over to them. Everyone there was extremely friendly and helpful. Got to meet Marjorie, Karen, George and Daleen - hope I'm spelling that right.

I was told it would take a few months, depending on Roland's schedule. I decided to have them leave the lens uncoated, to reduce risk.

The serial number of the lens is 61264, so according to the above post, it appears I may have the NASA glass. The lens wasn't signed, but the tube was signed by both Roland and Marjorie, back in the late 1980's, when I guess this was purchased.

I asked Marjorie about the signatures and she said that was very unusual for them to sign a product.

Can't wait to get it back and put to good use again.

• George N, pbealo, plyscope and 8 others like this

#27 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 February 2020 - 09:44 AM

Over the years, I've sent several early model, 1980's vintage lens assemblies back to AP, mostly for aging of the compound use to space the elements.   Roland takes his time, does it right and I'm sure the results are actually better than when the lens was first produced as he has much better tools now for measuring and adjusting the lens elements than he did back in the 80's.  And you will probably get a nice note from him too, describing what he did.  

You will be pleased, very pleased..

Just don't bug him. 

Jeff

• George N, Terra Nova and stephenws like this

#28 stephenws

stephenws

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 07:08 PM

While I'm waiting for my lens to be done, I need to find a case for the scope. I've already checked with Astro-Physics and they don't have any cases to fit the 6"f12. I do have a wanted ad up on CN for a case, but I think chances are slim that anyone will have one.

I suppose an option is to make one, but I don't have many woodworking tools.

Any suggestions? Does anyone make custom cases that are reasonably priced?

#29 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Viking 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted Yesterday, 09:01 PM

Just for storage, or to carry it around in? For storage it's easy to build something from 1X clear lumber that will do the job. You can have it cut to length at the yard and just drill, glue, and screw it together. But it will add a lot of weight to the scope.

A carrying case is more of an engineering challenge, because you want it as light and strong as possible (and those two criteria are generally at odds with each other).

Chip W. 

• stephenws likes this

#30 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted Today, 10:02 AM

While I'm waiting for my lens to be done, I need to find a case for the scope. I've already checked with Astro-Physics and they don't have any cases to fit the 6"f12. I do have a wanted ad up on CN for a case, but I think chances are slim that anyone will have one.

I suppose an option is to make one, but I don't have many woodworking tools.

Any suggestions? Does anyone make custom cases that are reasonably priced?

From my own personal experience with a similar size and  length scope, a hard case simply made a long scope that was a little awkward to carry around even more awkward and considerably heavier too.  Incorporating wheels was a handy solution but did nothing for the weight.

My final solution was to find a padded soft bag that only weighed a couple of pounds.  I forgot which company made it but there are several companies on the web which do custom or semi-custom bags.

Jeff

#31 stephenws

stephenws

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted Today, 12:53 PM

I hadn’t considered a soft bag.

Thanks, I’ll check into that.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics