•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Classic MIZAR Fans - Post Your Pix!

classic equipment
  • Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#101 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 09 June 2021 - 06:15 PM

GT-80S was delivered late today:

Mizar GT-80S Delivery S01 - OTA (Top).jpg

Mizar GT-80S Delivery S03 - Focuser (Bottom).jpg Mizar GT-80S Delivery S04 - Focuser (Top).jpg

Mizar GT-80S Delivery S05 - Label.jpg

Took me hours to find a black rag loaded down with lint, but y'all are worth the effort.

Bare Tube weighs right at 5 lbs.  Tube Color is... unusual.  In bright LED light, it looks like Cream Of Wheat; but, in the man cave, it has a bit of Khaki.

The Focuser has about as many microscopic grub screws as my Tak FC-100 -- the assembly is a cap that threads off the tube, and has a micro-grub that must be loosened first.  For some insane reason, a prior owner used a clear sticky & tacky lube.  I'll scrub all that out this weekend, and replace with lithium grease.

I'm spoiled by two back-to-back Mint Mizars.  Both lenses will get DPAC'ed this weekend (Trust, but Verify!).  The cradle was in my Giveaway post.  Long term, I'll use it with the much shorter BN-80, but it fits this 80, too.

** Made the swap:  GT-80 is in the rings + 20cm SVBONY dovetail.  Clouds may be breaking...

Edited by Bomber Bob, 09 June 2021 - 07:47 PM.

• steve t, Terra Nova, Kasmos and 1 other like this

#102 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 10 June 2021 - 11:03 AM

My 1st all-Mizar Astro Kit -- GT-80S + SP + MMD-III:

Mizar GT-80S 1st Setup S02 - FULL (RS).jpg Mizar GT-80S 1st Setup S04 - FULL (LS).jpg

Mizar GT-80S 1st Setup S03 - ZOOM (RS).jpg Mizar GT-80S 1st Setup S05 - ZOOM (LS).jpg

My only regret:  Not finding 1980s Mizar gear earlier.

For the Record

BN-80  FL = 400mm & F-Ratio = 5

GT-80S  FL = 560mm & F-Ratio = 7

I keep wanting to post 400 or 500mm for the GT-80...  Why?  IDK!!

Used to be, I had a bunch of scopes with 1200mm FLs; now, I have more around 600mm.  Lord!  With my rapidly declining...  whatcha call it? -- Short-Term Memory, there ain't no hope!

BIF:  Like the BN-80, the GT-80 needs a good lens cleaning.  Looks like the Seller wiped the front & back with damp lens (I hope!) tissues, and left streaks around the perimeters -- saw it when the lens fogged-up making the new Beauty Pictures...

Edited by Bomber Bob, 10 June 2021 - 11:34 AM.

• CCD-Freak, steve t, mdowns and 4 others like this

#103 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 10 June 2021 - 11:49 AM

Y'all see what I mean about the GT-80's tube color?  Unlike the other Mizars that I've seen pix of...  

Build Quality - Both 80s

Similar to Vixen.  Thick-walled tubes.  Precision castings & threads.  Nice!! & Resilient paints.  Lighter than Tak, but obviously inspired by Tak (I'm pretty sure both 80s have the same focuser tube male thread as my FC-50).  Baffles! & interior blackening, including rifling in the focuser tube...  

Gonna verify, but I think most / all of the same-year Vixen rings & things will fit these 80s.  A good thing!  Mizar parts are hard to find -- that's an understatement.  

So... Optics as good as Vixen?  DPAC will decide that.

FYI:  ALL of the knobs & slo-mo cables on both EQs are Mizar now.   It's the little things that add up...

AND... the 2 threaded holes on the focuser for the finder bracket have the same 28mm spacing as -- wait for it! -- Takahashi...

Edited by Bomber Bob, 10 June 2021 - 10:03 PM.

• Terra Nova likes this

#104 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 10 June 2021 - 07:02 PM

Neat scope JW! Did you get the finder too?

#105 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 10 June 2021 - 07:05 PM

No finder on the GT-80.  Mizar finders are rarer than Mizars...  And, the bracket must have a flat base -- like Tak...

I need a credit line with Agena...  they have this flat (for Tak) Vixen-style Base:  https://agenaastro.c...se-silver.html 

Edited by Bomber Bob, 10 June 2021 - 10:07 PM.

• Terra Nova likes this

#106 Magnus Ahrling

Magnus Ahrling

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Visby, Gotland, Sweden 57:30N.

Posted 11 June 2021 - 07:24 PM

Ah, at last I know what mount I had 1989-2008. A Mizar AR-1! Thanks everyone for the fine pictureswaytogo.gif Mine had aluminum legs and a polarfinder. I used it under an 8" Cave RFT f/4,5. It was ok up to 180X.

Magnus

• Bomber Bob and Marcus Roman like this

#107 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 12 June 2021 - 11:05 AM

GT-80S - Lens Cleaning:

Mizar GT-80S Restore T01 - Lens (BF TOP).jpg Mizar GT-80S Restore T03 - Lens (Glue Spot).jpg Mizar GT-80S Restore T04 - Lens Cell (BF TOP).jpg Mizar GT-80S Restore T05 - Lens (AF TOP).jpg

It sure looked like one of the spacers was way out of place.  But once I had it apart, I found that it was intentionally glued closer to center than the other 2.  After cleaning & reassembly, I checked the Newton Rings, and they were spot on.  Green Light DPAC better than expected:  No Zones (the F5 BN-80 did show zones!), but slight turned-down edge -- overall, the pattern is similar to the AT102ED.

I know this lens was never messed-with -- glue spot on the outside of the cell.  Had to break it with my X-Acto, then clean both threads.  No alignment marks by the maker, so I added my own for the spacers & element placements.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 12 June 2021 - 11:06 AM.

#108 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Vendor - Portable Observatories

• Vendors
  • Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 13 June 2021 - 02:52 PM

I only have a Mizar mount at this point.

Mizar-1s.JPG

• Bomber Bob, Kasmos and Marcus Roman like this

#109 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Vendor - Portable Observatories

• Vendors
  • Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 13 June 2021 - 03:00 PM

The Mizar mount did a fine job imaging comet NEOWISE. 

Comet imaging rig.JPG

• Bomber Bob likes this

#110 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 14 June 2021 - 09:24 PM

Fits like a glove on the GT-80's finder block on the focuser -->  Agena Synta/Vixen Style Dovetail Mounting Base/Shoe for Finders - Flat Base for Takahashi Scopes:  https://agenaastro.c...ase-silver.html

BIF:  Looks like the Baader 2" ClickLock with M42 Female port will fit the smaller rings on both 80s.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 14 June 2021 - 10:34 PM.

• Terra Nova likes this

#111 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 16 June 2021 - 07:36 PM

ZEN must be using a Concorde SST -- this Classic Mizar FM-PH Kit arrived today:

Mizar FM-PH Delivery S02 - GT-80S (RS FL).jpg Mizar FM-PH Delivery S05 - GT-80S (LS FL).jpg

Mizar FM-PH Delivery S04 - GT-80S (RS CU).jpg Mizar FM-PH Delivery S06 - GT-80S (LS CU).jpg

Y'all, this thing looks like NOS (New Old Stock) -- no scratches or dings anywhere on the mount head, and just a few scuffs on the wood tripod.

Long term, the F5 Mizar BN-80 Nature Scope will be on display & in use with this mount, but I want to have time to adapt it's photo-tripod (1/4-20) plate to this mount's flat top.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 16 June 2021 - 07:38 PM.

• CCD-Freak, mdowns, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

#112 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 16 June 2021 - 08:13 PM

The mount looks quite sturdy. The scope like a wonderful ST80 type RFT. You should have some fun this summer cruising the Milky Way with it.

PS- it looks longer than F5. Any idea why?

Edited by Terra Nova, 16 June 2021 - 08:14 PM.

#113 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 16 June 2021 - 09:36 PM

That's the F7 GT-80S on the mount.  After these pix, I swapped-in the F5 BN-80 Nature Scope -- bolted it via its tripod block to the SVBONY dovetail.  It works, but looks clunky.  I want a standard 1/4-20 assembly bolted to the head, and the BN-80 bolted to that assembly.  The shorter BN-80 looks right on the mount, and balances very well...

#114 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 07:56 AM

BN-80 on its AZ Mount + Tripod:

Mizar BN-80 AZ 1st Setup S02 - RS CU.jpg Mizar BN-80 AZ 1st Setup S03 - LS CU.jpg

What is it with Japanese F5 RFTs being equipped with / for small .965" format accessories??  The BN-80's eyepiece adapter, both prisms, & 3 (nice!) eyepieces are all small...

I'm gonna put a Baader 2" CL on this RFT -- really let her rip it open!

Edited by Bomber Bob, Yesterday, 10:05 AM.

• CCD-Freak, mdowns, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#115 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 04:35 PM

Forget Trickle-Down Economics!  At The Swamp, it's Trickle-Down Upgrades:  The mint condition 1980s gloss-black Celestron (V) 8x50 RA Polar Finder came in for my Tak FC-100, so that cheap GSO got yanked ASAP.  Note in the GT-80S pix above, the flat-base Tak-sized finder base is installed.  So, the GSO bracket is now on the GT-80; and, thanks to Michael, I have a 1980s blue Meade (MIZAR) 8x50 RA Finder headed my way:

Meade (Mizar) Blue 8x50 RA Finder A01.jpg

Thanks Again, Michael!!  It should fit the GSO bracket; but if not, I have that fancy Vixen 2-ring bracket.  And a Bonus for Ole BB -- helical focuser!

#116 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted Today, 10:27 AM

BN-80 -- Finishing Touches

Two Issues left to fix:

- Attaching the scope to the mount.  Looked at a bunch of different options, but most looked clunky.  So, I'm gonna replace the original tripod block with this SVBONY very short dovetail:

SVBONY - Short Dovetail (Black) T01.jpg

It will fit in one of the medium-size SVBONY dovetail clamps:

SVBONY - Medium Dovetail Clamp (Silver) T01.jpg

- Wood Tripod & Spreader.  The original wood tripod is the Towa style with a round dowel center leg, and traditional hinged spreader slats.  Looks brand new!!  But, the spread is too small for a standard Mizar "pie pan" tray; and, a Vixen SP triangle tray is too dang big!  The Atlas 60 F15 came with its original wood tripod + spreader chain.  It's in VG condition, and hefty enough for this ultra-light F5 frac + mount, so I'm gonna swap 'em.  I'll post pix once it's all purdee-ed up.  Once my Hy-Score 457 is gone, this kit will replace it as a Display.

• Terra Nova likes this

#117 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted Today, 10:35 AM

BN-80 -- Finishing Touches

Two Issues left to fix:

- Attaching the scope to the mount.  Looked at a bunch of different options, but most looked clunky.  So, I'm gonna replace the original tripod block with this SVBONY very short dovetail:

attachicon.gifSVBONY - Short Dovetail (Black) T01.jpg

It will fit in one of the medium-size SVBONY dovetail clamps:

attachicon.gifSVBONY - Medium Dovetail Clamp (Silver) T01.jpg

- Wood Tripod & Spreader.  The original wood tripod is the Towa style with a round dowel center leg, and traditional hinged spreader slats.  Looks brand new!!  But, the spread is too small for a standard Mizar "pie pan" tray; and, a Vixen SP triangle tray is too dang big!  The Atlas 60 F15 came with its original wood tripod + spreader chain.  It's in VG condition, and hefty enough for this ultra-light F5 frac + mount, so I'm gonna swap 'em.  I'll post pix once it's all purdee-ed up.  Once my Hy-Score 457 is gone, this kit will replace it as a Display.

How about making a nice little wooden accessories tray that’s just the right size? It’s easy peasy and they look nice too.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6639B3A7-CD93-497F-93FB-20D6731FFDFF.jpeg

• mdowns, Bomber Bob, mikerepp and 1 other like this

#118 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted Today, 04:10 PM

Thanks Again, Michael!   Got the "new" finder attached:

Meade (Mizar) Blue 8x50 RA Finder T11 (RS FL).jpg

Meade (Mizar) Blue 8x50 RA Finder T12 (RS CU).jpg Meade (Mizar) Blue 8x50 RA Finder T13 (LS CU).jpg

Based on the hardware, I think this is a TOWA -- at least a couple of years before Meade switched to Mizar.  VG condition!

I'll leave the hardware black, and paint the tube a coordinating Khaki color.

Little Things:  The pair of chrome tube lock-levers came off an OLD small EQ.  I re-threaded them to standard 1/4-20.  A 4mm long vinyl rod + felt pad presses down on the scope tube -- no dinging (?), scratching, or marking the perfect original paint job.

• mdowns likes this

#119 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted Today, 04:12 PM

The Long & Short of it -- I really like my pair of Mizar 80mm fracs.  2 x 80s from the 1980s:

Mizar - 2 x 80mm Refractors T01 (RS FL).jpg Mizar - 2 x 80mm Refractors T02 (LS FL).jpg

How about making a nice little wooden accessories tray that’s just the right size? It’s easy peasy and they look nice too.

(You haven't seen my wood-working!)  Got to looking at it, and I think I can remove the pins from the 3 slats, and replace each with a Triangle + Chain Length from the Atlas.  Quick-folding like my VG2 tripod, and another easy to reverse mod by the next owner...

Edited by Bomber Bob, Today, 04:16 PM.

• mdowns and Terra Nova like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: classic, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics