•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

8" Newtonian (SW 200P) on HEQ5 Pro

astrophotography beginner reflector mount dob dslr
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 astro.babak

astro.babak

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 January 2020 - 04:34 PM

Hello all,

I've gotten a used HEQ5 Pro mount and want to mount my 8" Newtonian which is the SkyWatcher 200P Dobsonian telescope, to the mount. The mount that I have does not have any dovetail on it, and I got no accessories for the mount just yet.

I got the mount cause I'm building up an AP rig, and will be putting my Canon 70D DSLR on the mount. The plan is to start with some wide-field AP using the standard lens on the camera ( focal length of 87), and then move on to longer focal lengths. However, I want to also get the 200P on the mount because of GoTo capabilities and see how I can do so and how the experience would be. 

So the question is, what kind of dovetail, and what size, do I need to be able to mount the 200P on HEQ5? Where can I find proper-sized tube rings? The rings I think should be 235mm in diameter. I know the 200P would not be the best fit for AP, so the initial plan is to use it for visual observing, but wouldn't mind using the T-ring to put the DSLR to 200P to see what I can get. Any words of advice? 

Thanks for reading, 

Babak

Edited by astro.babak, 26 January 2020 - 04:36 PM.

#2 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 26 January 2020 - 05:10 PM

Bad idea for astrophotography. Even an 8" f/5 needs at least an EQ6 to be used as a steady astrophotography platform. You are better off buying an ED80 or 6" Newtonian for that. And even for visual, I'd be worried about the stability of such a big and long scope on the HEQ5.

Edited by Augustus, 26 January 2020 - 05:11 PM.

• mikefulb likes this

#3 Gipht

Gipht

Vanguard

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ.

Posted 26 January 2020 - 05:17 PM

You should try your DSLR on the telescope in the daytime to see if it will come to focus.  The camera sensor is more than an inch farther out then an eyepiece, so focus may not be possible.  Perhaps a cheaper alternative, all things considered, is a :  https://www.highpoin...-xoCggQQAvD_BwE.

• Augustus likes this

#4 Gary.McK

Gary.McK

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Geelong, Australia

Posted 27 January 2020 - 05:32 AM

Hi,
I have a Skywatcher heq5 pro with a 200pds scope. The mount is fitted with an ADM losmandy puck/adapter. The scope is fitted with a losmandy dovetail. Works fine for ap. Just make sure you have a bit of shelter from excessive winds. I use it on my backyard frequently. Don't need a bigger mount.
FWIW
Gary

Edited by Gary.McK, 27 January 2020 - 05:33 AM.

#5 klaussius

klaussius

Mariner 2

• Loc: Buenos Aires

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:25 AM

The P on the 200P means it's fitted for photography, so it should have enough backfocus. Is it the flextube or the explorer?

But yeah, the 200 has a long FL which will be unforgiving for learning. You'll need an intermediate step in the 400FL-ish range both to ease learning and to be able to fit the large objects in the frame, like M31, for instance. You'll just see the core in the 200P

Edited by klaussius, 27 January 2020 - 07:30 AM.

#6 Astrodymium

Astrodymium

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 January 2020 - 02:15 PM

The P on the 200P means it's fitted for photography, so it should have enough backfocus. Is it the flextube or the explorer?

But yeah, the 200 has a long FL which will be unforgiving for learning. You'll need an intermediate step in the 400FL-ish range both to ease learning and to be able to fit the large objects in the frame, like M31, for instance. You'll just see the core in the 200P

You are confusing the 200P with the 200 PDS which is the version that is designed for imaging.

• Augustus likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner, reflector, mount, dob, dslr

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics