•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dovetail mounts?

accessories beginner equipment mount refractor astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 astronomykiwi

astronomykiwi

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 January 2020 - 07:11 PM

With the skywatcher esprit 100ed super APO triplet, I noticed it has a "D style dovetail" I'm not sure as to what this is and wether I need some sort of adapter to attach it to my HEQ5 pro, I have considered upgrading to the EQ6 R PRO so that the mount is comfortably in the weight capacity but then noticed that has a "dual saddle" mount. Could someone please explain these?

#2 Astrola72

Astrola72

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 26 January 2020 - 07:29 PM

"V"=Vixen (narrow), "D"=Losmandy (wide). Dual saddle handles either V or D. But you can always replace the dovetail on the esprit 100 with a Vixen dovetail.

#3 astronomykiwi

astronomykiwi

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:23 PM

In the image of the esprit it almost appears to be a losmandy with a vixen on the bottom of it? But it looks like the vixen is wider than normal and the losmandy is narrower than normal

#4 astronomykiwi

astronomykiwi

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:24 PM

https://www.jacobsdi...ant=21154371460

#5 Astrola72

Astrola72

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:19 PM

The ad states "Celestron CGE style dovetail". That's the larger "D" type.

#6 OldManSky

OldManSky

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 26 January 2020 - 11:10 PM

Your HEQ5-pro won't handle the CGE-"D" dovetail that comes on the Esprit 100.

A Vixen-style dovetail isn't that expensive, but you will need to get one for the scope to put it on that mount.

Here's a pic (from CN) that shows the difference...

post-212773-14074131594638.jpg

#7 astronomykiwi

astronomykiwi

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 January 2020 - 05:40 AM

The ad states "Celestron CGE style dovetail". That's the larger "D" type.

In the spec chart it only says D type dovetail. Thanks for clearing that up!
Edit: oops hadn't seen it or atleast recognised what it was meaning

Edited by astronomykiwi, 27 January 2020 - 05:42 AM.

#8 astronomykiwi

astronomykiwi

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 January 2020 - 05:44 AM

Your HEQ5-pro won't handle the CGE-"D" dovetail that comes on the Esprit 100.
A Vixen-style dovetail isn't that expensive, but you will need to get one for the scope to put it on that mount.

Here's a pic (from CN) that shows the difference...

post-212773-14074131594638.jpg

Yeah that's more the difference I was expecting. The Heq5 did come with a dovetail bar, but would it be safe to put such a heavy scope on that style or should I get a eq6r Pro as soon as possible after getting the scope

#9 OldManSky

OldManSky

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:52 AM

My recently-purchased Zenithstar 103 came with a Vixen-style dovetail bar.  It mounted on my CEM60 fine, but I thought it was a bit...um...under-mounted.  So I bought a larger D-style plate, and mounted it on that.  Fortunately the CEM60 can take both kinds of dovetail bars, while your HEQ-5 can't.  

I would say give it a try with the Vixen plate first.  If everything works OK, then don't worry.  There's no doubt the EQ6-R Pro is a significant upgrade from the HEQ-5, but before you lay out the cash I'd try things out first :)

#10 kathyastro

kathyastro

Apollo

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:54 AM

You can get a dual saddle for your HEQ5 from ADM that will accept both dovetail sizes.

• SilverLitz and OldManSky like this

#11 astronomykiwi

astronomykiwi

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 January 2020 - 03:23 AM

My recently-purchased Zenithstar 103 came with a Vixen-style dovetail bar. It mounted on my CEM60 fine, but I thought it was a bit...um...under-mounted. So I bought a larger D-style plate, and mounted it on that. Fortunately the CEM60 can take both kinds of dovetail bars, while your HEQ-5 can't.
I would say give it a try with the Vixen plate first. If everything works OK, then don't worry. There's no doubt the EQ6-R Pro is a significant upgrade from the HEQ-5, but before you lay out the cash I'd try things out first :)

Yes exactly, I was only planning to upgrade the mount if I had issues with the Heq5 which I probably will, but the heq5 will hopefully handle until I get the money.

#12 astronomykiwi

astronomykiwi

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 January 2020 - 03:26 AM

You can get a dual saddle for your HEQ5 from ADM that will accept both dovetail sizes.

Looking at it I don't think I'd trust that round dovetail thing with 8kg+ of weight, it would probably be fine but it's be just as easy and cheaper just to screw a dovetail to the existing one

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, beginner, equipment, mount, refractor, astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics