•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First narrowband image: Rosette Nebula

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ac4lt

ac4lt

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 26 January 2020 - 07:27 PM

rosette-srbg-1-scaled.jpg?w=800

I'm thrilled to have finally produced my first narrowband image and I'm definitely hooked! Watching the individual Ha subs come in was magical seeing contrast that I had only been able to dream of in broadband. Of course, the OIII and SII subs were not as dense but they still had a lot of data. We had four clear nights in a row last week and in two years of imaging that has never happened for me so I was glad to take advantage.

I spent the first couple of hours each night grabbing some Ha data on M33 to hopefully add in to my M33 image but then switched to the Rosette until it went behind the neighbor's house around 3am. Over the course of the three nights I managed to get 56 Ha, 56 OIII and 58 SII images at 5 minutes each. I started at gain 139, but switched to gain 200 after the first night because the subs were at about 3xRN^2. I didn't want to increase the sub length any longer to keep the amp glow under control so bumped up to gain 200. That seemed to work out well.

I wasn't sure I'd have enough data, especially on SII but when I did the integration it looked much better than I had expected so decided to go ahead and process it. The details are on astrobin but the first question was going to be how to combine the data. I decided to bypass the Hubble palette not because I have anything against it but I wanted to do something different and I ended up using pixel math to combine like this:

r: 0.8*ha + 0.2*s2

g: 0.2*ha + 0.4*s2 + 0.2*o3

b: o3

This gave me an image that was somewhat reminiscent of a broadband image with the reddish core but with all that narrowband detail. I decided I liked the warm palette and the sense of menacing energy it provided (I'm likely projecting but that's how it came off to me).

Overall I'm pretty happy with my first attempt. I didn't try to really retain any star color here. The pixel math combination left them reasonably neutral and stretching desaturated them even more. They weren't distracting so that was good enough for me. I tend not to really notice star color in other narrowband images so wasn't really thinking about how I would approach it. I decided to just see where they ended up.

C&C are always welcome!

get.jpg?insecure

• StephenW, D_talley, Tim C and 22 others like this

#2 descott12

descott12

Vendor - Solar Live View

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 26 January 2020 - 07:49 PM

Beautiful. I love the colors. This one typically gets blown out in red way too much.

• ac4lt likes this

#3 Madratter

Madratter

Voyager 1

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:08 PM

Very nice. That weather was great. I enjoyed it too. :) A very solid effort for your first narrow band. And I like that you are already experimenting with your own take on things. :)

#4 bjulihn

bjulihn

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Langley, BC. Canada

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:20 PM

Hi Linda;

You got some sharp details in that image. Looks great. Did I miss what scope, mount, and camera you are using? I'm curious!

Brad 

#5 ac4lt

ac4lt

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:51 PM

Thanks, everyone!

Brad, all the details are in the astrobin link but it's an ASI1600MM Pro on a Stellarvue SV80-3SV and astrodon 3nm filters. The mount is an EQ6R-Pro.

Madratter, those four clear nights were great! Well...except for how sleepy I was at work during the day. I did get sleep but not as much as I needed. It was worth it though! 

Now I need to figure out how I want to blend the Ha data for M33 in on that image. I think that will be a challenge for tomorrow night though. 

• Madratter likes this

#6 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colchester, VT

Posted 27 January 2020 - 06:18 AM

Excellent image Linda!  Lots of great detail you captured in there!

• ac4lt likes this

#7 ac4lt

ac4lt

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 February 2020 - 02:09 PM

We've had mostly clouds and rain since then so to pass the time I decided to make a video about processing this image in the hopes that it might be of value to others:

https://youtu.be/qwMUiVE1oAE

#8 Mert

Mert

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Spain, Pamplona

Posted 17 February 2020 - 04:56 PM

Very nice rendition Linda, well done!!
You were lucky with 4 clear nights in a row :waytogo:

#9 ac4lt

ac4lt

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:55 PM

Thanks, Mert!  The four clear nights was amazing and unprecedented. Unfortunately, since then we've only had two clear nights both with wind and bad seeing. Hopefully we'll get some clearing soon!

#10 sunnyday

sunnyday

Skylab

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:06 PM

and not so long ago you said, something like (I'm not as good as you other) I hope to remember well .. and I must tell you that this shot is extraordinary.

#11 ac4lt

ac4lt

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:11 PM

sunnyday, thank you so much for the compliment! This has been a very welcoming community and what improvement I've been able to make has definitely come, in no small part, due to the help and support of everyone here!

• Swordfishy and sunnyday like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics