•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ioptron Polar alignment IEQ 30

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dagadget

dagadget

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Avon Park, Florida

Posted 26 January 2020 - 09:09 PM

I have a new IEQ 30 Mount. Last night I used it at a star party for the first time and failed miserably with the first attempt at alignment ( I just eyeballed it like my Celestron mounts). The second time was better and eastern sky targets were right on. I have always had Celestron mounts and no polar scope. The manual looks like it has the axis turned 90 degrees like the celestron mounts to open the polar scope view. I think this will be easy but some input from very experienced Ioptron mount users would be nice, I have not found a polar alignment video as of yet online but will keep trying, Thanks for help in advance.

Edited by dagadget, 26 January 2020 - 09:24 PM.

#2 bjulihn

bjulihn

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Langley, BC. Canada

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:14 PM

Hi dagadget!

I have an iEQ30 Pro mount as well. I am not sure what your question is so let me ask you a question. Are you asking about the direction of hole through the shaft of the declination axis? If so, the saddle should be aimed at Polaris. When you unscrew the front and rear caps for the polar scope, you should be able to see through it when the dec axis is pointed toward Polaris, not when it is turned 90 degrees to the side.

Then you need to rotate the eyepiece of the polar scope outward several turns to reach focus.(at least for my old eyes) If you are using the illuminated reticle to get a closer position for the alignment, plug in the cable. If you are just eyeballing Polaris to the center of the field for an approximate alignment, you don't need the illuminator plugged in.

The hand controller can display the proper location on the reticle of the polar scope, where Polaris should be for your date, time, and location. (see the Manual, pg. 20 item 6)

Now for confession time. I just eyeball Polaris thru the polar scope to the center of the field and then use my guide scope and Sharpcap's polar alignment routine to get within a few arc secs. Compared to the old days, it feels like I'm cheating!

Brad

• psandelle, eros312 and dagadget like this

#3 dagadget

dagadget

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 January 2020 - 04:34 PM

Hi dagadget!

I have an iEQ30 Pro mount as well. I am not sure what your question is so let me ask you a question. Are you asking about the direction of hole through the shaft of the declination axis? If so, the saddle should be aimed at Polaris. When you unscrew the front and rear caps for the polar scope, you should be able to see through it when the dec axis is pointed toward Polaris, not when it is turned 90 degrees to the side.

Then you need to rotate the eyepiece of the polar scope outward several turns to reach focus.(at least for my old eyes) If you are using the illuminated reticle to get a closer position for the alignment, plug in the cable. If you are just eyeballing Polaris to the center of the field for an approximate alignment, you don't need the illuminator plugged in.

The hand controller can display the proper location on the reticle of the polar scope, where Polaris should be for your date, time, and location. (see the Manual, pg. 20 item 6)

Now for confession time. I just eyeball Polaris thru the polar scope to the center of the field and then use my guide scope and Sharpcap's polar alignment routine to get within a few arc secs. Compared to the old days, it feels like I'm cheating!

Brad

The second alignment I did I had moved the mount towards Polaris. I never did try to turn the mount enough to level the Polar scope level. But when the zero point is pointed close enough to Polaris I had less problem. Even with a 3 star the east sky the scope went right to the west it was off. I have been reading a few things and I think next time with the bolts loosened a  bit more I will get it. 

#4 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 27 January 2020 - 05:05 PM

I Always set it up like this

Polar alignment with equipment. The Handbox should tell you were to put Polaris

Clear all alignment data

Set zero position

3 star alignment

1 sync to target

Then in most cases the GOTO seems to work pretty well.

Better check if you polar scope is centered in the RA axis, don't take it for granted...

If you should to have it tweaked don't overtighten be very gently on the screws. I broke my reticle in the process.

Ioptron support helped me out, it took only a week to get a new reticle from Ioptron for not much money, from the US to Belgium

• dagadget likes this

#5 dagadget

dagadget

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 January 2020 - 06:51 PM

I Always set it up like this

Polar alignment with equipment. The Handbox should tell you were to put Polaris

Clear all alignment data

Set zero position

3 star alignment

1 sync to target

Then in most cases the GOTO seems to work pretty well.

Better check if you polar scope is centered in the RA axis, don't take it for granted...

If you should to have it tweaked don't overtighten be very gently on the screws. I broke my reticle in the process.

Ioptron support helped me out, it took only a week to get a new reticle from Ioptron for not much money, from the US to Belgium

Part one I have seen and that looks great. 

Part Two Will do that

set zero position I can do that again

3 star alignment is a snap and I have synced to a few targets and each time I am getting better and better at it.

Thank You 

Will check on the polar scope centering too.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics