•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mars despite Australian bushfire smoke - 21 Jan 2020

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lacaille

Lacaille

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Canberra

Posted 26 January 2020 - 09:44 PM

Hi All,

Encouraged by the predicted clear skies yesterday night in Canberra, I set up the C11 and CGX mount yesterday evening and settled down under steady skies for a preparatory session of alignment and collimation.   After a short while, however, I began to smell what I thought was a neighbour's barbecue, until the smoke's gathering strength made me realise that, either he was going into kipper production, or the bushfire smoke had blown back into the region. The latter proved to be the case, so as visibility (and indeed breathability) declined, I stopped and went to bed. 

I left the scope out under a tarpaulin however and, after a restless night, awoke to have a go at Mars in the pre-dawn hours.  The smoke had receded somewhat to the east, and conditions were quite steady, though Mars is of course still small and low.   

More detail was visible this time so I derotated three x three minute images for the result below, in which there are hints of Acidalia Planitia, Valles Marineris and Solis Planum. No clouds were visible in my images, unlike Avani's images from the day before from Brazil on this forum. No sign of polar ice yet either for me.

Regards

Mark

Mars 26 Jan 2020.jpg

• Sunspot, Jim Waters, jim kuhns and 18 others like this

#2 Foc

Foc

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 26 January 2020 - 11:38 PM

Not really sure if those markings are Martian features or smudges from Canberra smoke!

But at least you are getting back into it.  I was only brave enough to just put a camera out and after struggling to find Octans in the smoke/dust brightened city glare had heavy smoke roll in before I got started.  In fact the 'Canberra Planitia' appears far more brown and indistinct to the Martian observer than during the last opposition and there is speculation this change may be long lasting.

Cheers (cough, cough)

Ross

• Lacaille likes this

#3 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:20 PM

Hi All,

Encouraged by the predicted clear skies yesterday night in Canberra, I set up the C11 and CGX mount yesterday evening and settled down under steady skies for a preparatory session of alignment and collimation. After a short while, however, I began to smell what I thought was a neighbour's barbecue, until the smoke's gathering strength made me realise that, either he was going into kipper production, or the bushfire smoke had blown back into the region. The latter proved to be the case, so as visibility (and indeed breathability) declined, I stopped and went to bed.

I left the scope out under a tarpaulin however and, after a restless night, awoke to have a go at Mars in the pre-dawn hours. The smoke had receded somewhat to the east, and conditions were quite steady, though Mars is of course still small and low.

More detail was visible this time so I derotated three x three minute images for the result below, in which there are hints of Acidalia Planitia, Valles Marineris and Solis Planum. No clouds were visible in my images, unlike Avani's images from the day before from Brazil on this forum. No sign of polar ice yet either for me.

Regards

Mark

Mars 26 Jan 2020.jpg

Nice one, Mark. It's nice to see you're imaging again.
  • Lacaille likes this

#4 troyt

troyt

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 01 February 2020 - 02:01 AM

Good one waytogo.gif

• Lacaille likes this

#5 Lacaille

Lacaille

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Canberra

Posted 01 February 2020 - 06:21 PM

Thanks friends! More in due course, once we get through the current torrid period of threatening fires and smoke.

#6 sunnyday

sunnyday

Skylab

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 01 February 2020 - 09:12 PM

wow really spectacular

• Lacaille likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics