•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CPWI and Ken Hutchinson's DIY Cable

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Aaron Small

Aaron Small

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 January 2020 - 09:45 PM

Has anyone tried the CPWI and Ken Hutchinson's cable that Mike describes on the Nexstar site?  From the description it works with NexRemote and for programming, but nothing else.  That was 16 years ago though and we have new software now.

I'm just trying to tame some cables and I've always hated the coil cable of the HC.  I may just make an extender cable so I can lower the HC to the ground.

#2 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Author of The NexStar Users Guide

• Vendors

Posted 26 January 2020 - 11:51 PM

Hi Aaron,

I'm not sure if CPWI works when connected to the PC Port (on mounts that have that port).  Celestron doesn't mention that option in their documentation.  The communication protocol would be essentially the same as that used via WiFi but there are differences that CPWI would need to account for.  That would be the first thing to know before attempting something with Ken's adapter (which essentially provides a PC Port).

Does anyone here using CPWI have a mount with a PC Port and the required cable to make that connection?

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
https://www.NexStarSite.com

#3 Aaron Small

Aaron Small

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 January 2020 - 12:27 PM

Thanks, Mike.  We'll see if anyone responds.  I assume Celestron doesn't mention it since the PC port is so passe' with the new WiFi enabled mounts.  I have a CGEM so would need Ken's cable to create a PC port since they don't make the PC-Aux adapter anymore.  I figured I'd ask before purchasing the few ICs for Ken's creation.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics