•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Does new imaging software mean new calibration frames

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Baird TX

Posted 27 January 2020 - 01:02 AM

I'm thinking of switching from nina to apt or sgp. When I make the switch do I have to recreate my flats, darks, and dark flat files I took tonight or will the integrate to the new software.

#2 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 27 January 2020 - 01:19 AM

I'm thinking of switching from nina to apt or sgp. When I make the switch do I have to recreate my flats, darks, and dark flat files I took tonight or will the integrate to the new software.

No matter the system, you have to take new flats each and every time you shoot...darks are temperature dependent, and "tonight's" temperature could be way off the next time you shoot...

#3 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 January 2020 - 02:43 AM

ok thanks

#4 happylimpet

happylimpet

Skylab

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 27 January 2020 - 04:10 AM

No matter the system, you have to take new flats each and every time you shoot...darks are temperature dependent, and "tonight's" temperature could be way off the next time you shoot...

while this is best practise, i think for many people its entirely unnecessary. Im still using flats I shot in October and they are still working perfectly. I probably depends how dusty your environment is and whether you 'open up' your system much. My coma corrector/filter wheel/camera stay fixed together when i remove them from the scope, so no dust gets in. anything within the scope doesnt affect the flats (unless its a dead bird).

WRT software, again you'll probably be OK with the previous lot of cal frames.  It depends more on the driver used than the software. Ive sucessfully used pre-NINA darks in my modern times NINA regime.

Why are you leaving NINA for clunky slow old SGP? Seems to be bucking the trend!

#5 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colchester, VT

Posted 27 January 2020 - 06:13 AM

The OP has a cooled CMOS camera according to his sig.

#6 schmeah

schmeah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Morristown, NJ

Posted 27 January 2020 - 06:59 AM

Using calibration frames should not be dependent on the capture software used. I have been using the same calibration frames ( flat, dark, bias ) for the past 6 months. I’ll shoot new frames this month when I switchback from my refractor to SCT.

Derek

#7 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:37 AM

I used apt last night and thought it was pretty good. for some reason Nina is not giving me very good auto focus. My last three image sessions were trash, focus was not good at all, and I have not changed anything.

#8 richorn

richorn

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Rancho Palos Verdes. CA

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:40 AM

I used APT prior to Nina, and my primary reason for changing was the superiority on Ninas autofocus routine. You may want to spend some time looking into the issue first before jumping ship.
  • happylimpet likes this

#9 OldManSky

OldManSky

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:42 AM

Well, um...not necessarily.  You need to take new flats when you need to take new flats -- change the imaging train, acquire somehow new dust in the system, etc.  But if your imaging train remains intact and unchanged, you don't have to take new flats.  I reuse mine for weeks (sometimes months) at a time, because I leave the imaging train intact and untouched on the scope.

And if you've taken darks at a specific set temp (and offset, gain, etc.) with NINA, as long as you saved them as FITS files you should be able to use them in SGP or something else.  No need to do a new dark library.

#10 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 January 2020 - 02:01 PM

Thanks for the help. Yes I'm going to look into why nina auto focus is going crazy, apt was ok but not nearly intuitive as nina, and nina is way more easy to work with.

#11 pfile

pfile

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 27 January 2020 - 04:37 PM

Using calibration frames should not be dependent on the capture software used. I have been using the same calibration frames ( flat, dark, bias ) for the past 6 months. I’ll shoot new frames this month when I switchback from my refractor to SCT.

Derek

it should not be but it often is - for instance even FITS vs CR2 in SGP will yield files that are incompatible with one another due to the way SGP creates the fits files.

OP should at least be prepared for the situation where s/he needs new darks and bias after the switch.

rob

• jdupton, Madratter and wheelers4life like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics