•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Laser Pointers and the Law

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 Sully606

Sully606

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago, USA

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:39 PM

https://www.faa.gov/...es/lasers/laws/

Here’s a link to reported laser incidents. I only looked at the 2019 reports. Most of those reported were green lasers but there were injuries reported with all types. There were reports from near the surface all the way to 30,000 feet plus. One report with an injury was a red laser at 27,000 feet. Of course there is no data on the power of the laser used. 
  I’m a pilot and we were flying into LAX when the controller warned us of laser activity ahead. We were at 5000 feet. We kept our heads down and did not experience any laser activity. After we landed and headed to our layover I ran into a crew who landed about 10 minutes before us. They had been lazed. The beam had entered the left side window and temporarily blinded the captain flying. The first officer took the controls and landed. The captain was not directly hit and recovered a few minutes after they blocked in.

Be careful out there. 

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#27 RaulTheRat

RaulTheRat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:41 PM

I disagree, but thanks for being careful - the beam spread is enough that a 5mw laser is not very bright even a few km away - try having someone shine one at you from even 500m away and you'll find that although it might still be fairly bright it's by no means incapacitating. You also wouldn't accidentally keep it on a cockpit long enough to really be noticeable, it's not like it is that easy to aim at a small aircraft (compared to the size of the sky) some miles away going 150kts or more.

The lasers we get hit by in planes when people are intentionally lasing us are a lot more powerful. I can't comment really on how powerful, but they certainly aren't 5mw when you see them 10km away lighting you up.
  • SteveG likes this

#28 Sully606

Sully606

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago, USA

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:58 PM

I disagree, but thanks for being careful - the beam spread is enough that a 5mw laser is not very bright even a few km away - try having someone shine one at you from even 500m away and you'll find that although it might still be fairly bright it's by no means incapacitating. You also wouldn't accidentally keep it on a cockpit long enough to really be noticeable, it's not like it is that easy to aim at a small aircraft (compared to the size of the sky) some miles away going 150kts or more.

The lasers we get hit by in planes when people are intentionally lasing us are a lot more powerful. I can't comment really on how powerful, but they certainly aren't 5mw when you see them 10km away lighting you up.

Thanks for that info. What are you disagreeing about?

#29 RaulTheRat

RaulTheRat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:05 PM

Oh yeah sorry should have quoted, previous page where bignerdguy said 5mw is an issue - I really doubt it, unless you were like a 1 mile final and the guy was standing on the threshold I think 5mw has pretty much zero possibility of seriously dazzling a pilot.

Edited by RaulTheRat, 17 February 2020 - 11:06 PM.

#30 bignerdguy

bignerdguy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lewisville, TX

Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:52 AM

https://www.mentalfl...inter-aircraft 

#31 Cali

Cali

Apollo

• Loc: Bay Area

Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:09 PM

Suspect Arrested on Suspicion of Pointing Laser at CHP Airplane.

- Cal

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics