•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can a Point Grey/FLIR camera be used with PHD2?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jbslus2

Jbslus2

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:43 PM

Apologies if this is answered somewhere... I wasn't able to find it if so.  I'm considering picking up a Point Grey Grasshopper3 CMOS camera that would be mainly used for solar imaging and maybe some planetary.  I'd love it if it could also be used for autoguiding so I could sell my current guide camera.  Has anyone been able to get the Point Grey cameras to work with PHD2?

Thanks!

#2 copper280z

copper280z

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rochester, NY

Posted 12 February 2020 - 10:30 PM

I have a GigE grasshopper 3 and just tried, there was no option to select the camera, and none of the universal options found it either.
  • Jbslus2 likes this

#3 Jbslus2

Jbslus2

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 19 February 2020 - 09:12 PM

Thank you so much for trying this and providing your feedback.

I actually ended up purchasing a used usb Grasshopper3 (GS3-U3-23S6M-C) to give it a try with a few different things.  The usb version does work in phd2 using the "Windows WDM-style webcam camera" option.  It seems to work most reliably with the 1920x1080 30fps camera mode option.  Choosing a faster frame rate worked but the live view in phd2 strugged with the data, almost like the gain was being constantly adjusted.  I've yet to fully test it during an imaging session, but it seems like it will work just fine for guiding with phd2.  One other thing I've noticed is that it requires a usb 3.0 connection... phd2 didn't recognize it through a usb 2.0 cord.

For what it's worth I've also got it working in Metaguide (but conversely only with a usb 2.0 connection).  It works in sharpcap and firecapture without any issues that I've seen so far.

• charlieb123 likes this

#4 EndlessWaltz

EndlessWaltz

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 September 2020 - 07:51 PM

I also have a Point Grey camera (GS3-U3-51S5C-C), but I could not get PHD2 to detect my camera. 

"Windows WDM-style webcam camera" option is selected, and I am using a USB3 connection.

I tried different ports; restarting my pc after each change. Both Spinnaker and FlyCap drivers are installed and both can detect the camera just fine. 

Any suggestions? Thanks.

#5 Jbslus2

Jbslus2

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 26 September 2020 - 09:07 PM

I also have a Point Grey camera (GS3-U3-51S5C-C), but I could not get PHD2 to detect my camera. 

"Windows WDM-style webcam camera" option is selected, and I am using a USB3 connection.

I tried different ports; restarting my pc after each change. Both Spinnaker and FlyCap drivers are installed and both can detect the camera just fine. 

Any suggestions? Thanks.

I'll share my experience with the 23S6M to see if anything might be useful.  I'm using phd2 version 2.6.9.  It almost always causes phd2 to crash when I go to connect the camera the first time (something about initiating the driver maybe?) but when I reboot phd2 it connects without any trouble.

One thing you might check if you haven't already is the "Select which camera..." icon (looks like two divergent arrows) next to the camera selection box that highlights when the WDM option is chosen.  After I specify the point grey camera in that box I get another box that gives me a ton of camera mode options.  I've not played around with them all, but I know that the 1920x1080 30fps option worked for me.  Many of the others either wouldn't connect or would connect but wouldn't actually function within phd2.  Of course if it isn't recognizing the camera at all you might not even have those options.

I can't recall if I updated the firmware on my camera but that might be another option for something to try.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics