•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron StarSense Explorer Application Alternative

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sojourneyer

sojourneyer

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 January 2020 - 02:14 PM

Celestron has introduced a new line of telescopes StarSenseExplorer that has a great  cell phone  application to find objects in the sky. See below link

https://www.youtube....h?v=3Hb0x-IdeDs

My question-- is there any similar software application that you can purchase and install on

your cell phone?

My gosh, this would be so great.

Eliminates the need for a heavy mount with gears, eliminates battery replacement and battery back ups and eliminates replacement or repair of broken down motors

I am not talking about stellarium but something that mimics what Celestron has done.

thanks

#2 Anony

Anony

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 28 January 2020 - 02:44 PM

There is skeye, but I haven't had much luck with it as of yet.

Maybe for those with newer and expensive android phones, it will work halfway decent. Just keep it away from certain metals though, so that may rule out some scopes.

#3 sojourneyer

sojourneyer

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 January 2020 - 02:48 PM

There is skeye, but I haven't had much luck with it as of yet.

Maybe for those with newer and expensive android phones, it will work halfway decent. Just keep it away from certain metals though, so that may rule out some scopes.

It is freeware or purchase software?  If free probably can not expect much from it.

A lot of software is just a planisphere type arrangement but not a true pointer in the sense

of the word

#4 vtornado

vtornado

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 28 January 2020 - 02:57 PM

skyeye is free ware, I have tried the push to feature, with it installed on a nexus 7 pad.

It is not accurate enough for scope pointing. 

If you download sky safari, you can get the real time azimuth and elevation(altitude) of any object you want.

If you have a digital angle meter, you can hold it on your scope's tube and get the elevation to match.

That is half the battle.  If your mount is leveled, you merely have to pan back and forth.

It is simple to make a azimuth wheel for a dob, a little trickier to do it with a refractor.

#5 Anony

Anony

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 28 January 2020 - 03:14 PM

It is freeware or purchase software?  If free probably can not expect much from it.

A lot of software is just a planisphere type arrangement but not a true pointer in the sense

of the word

Freeware, as mentioned. If you happen to have an android phone, you can give it a shot. No harm in trying it. And it's pushto, not just a planisphere ... you do some alignments and away you go. But unfortunately where you go isn't always where you hope to.

It didn't work with my refractor, but I plan to retry it with my dob, which has no metal at all in it. I'm not expecting it to work, but figure it's worth a try.

I have a circles thread up in the beginners section currently for my refractor... that's another method, as vtornado just mentioned.  You can print them out or make them from a plastic 360 degree protractor.

#6 photoracer18

photoracer18

Gemini

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 28 January 2020 - 03:16 PM

Just remember without the gears and motors and such its just like a Dobsonian with digital setting circles and push-to. Meaning what you align with the program is going to drift out of view without those motors to keep it tracking. and if the mount is not smooth enough it will be annoying to get it into view easily. You can do pretty much the same thing with a phone and Sky Safari or Starry Night. You are still going to have to line up the scope and the phone so they both point to the same part of the sky. Easier than say 2-3 star alignment go-to, but without the ability to keep the object in view by automatically tracking it.

#7 Jond105

Jond105

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 28 January 2020 - 03:31 PM

https://www.cloudyni...er#entry9938994

discussion already going on here. Some have been able to take it off and mount it on their dobs 

#8 sojourneyer

sojourneyer

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 January 2020 - 03:40 PM

this will be a game changer

to introduce people to astronomy and keep them

interested

https://www.youtube....h?v=3Hb0x-IdeDs

how many have actually watched this 1 min video.. You will see

how great the software is.

There is no similar software around. I spoke to

Celestron 15 mins ago and they indicated such.

A true game changer.like a fish finder.  WOW

#9 aa6ww

aa6ww

Vanguard

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:10 PM

The starsense relies on plate solving, unlike any other software available for our smart phones. It uses your camera to take photos of the sky. So the bracket the smart phone sits in probably has to be at a fixed to the optical tube so the mirror on the phones mounting bracket is always pointing in the same direction as the front of the scope.
I heard it only has a 200 object database but that's still pretty good for a beginner since it has all the messier objects in it.

...Ralph

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics