•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Shop @Sky is a complete disaster

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jpcampbell

jpcampbell

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Montreal, Quebec

Posted 28 January 2020 - 02:46 PM

Over in the Double-Stars Forum I got word that Haas' "Double Stars for Small Telescopes" is now for sale. Great! I didn't hesitate and immediately went to purchase it. Unfortunately, when the moment comes to checkout with Paypal, there is an error: "There has been an error processing your request", which shows the logo of "Magenta Enterprises". This happened last night and today on both Chrome and Firefox, and on two different computers.

I figured maybe if I register a new account, I'll be able to buy the book, but no. I cannot even register. Clicking "Submit" at the end of the registration process leads me back to the "login" or "register" page, with no error or confirmation.

I then tried their "Contact us" form. Filled in the required fields, wrote out a description of what I'm trying to do and where it fails, clicked submit, and.......no dice! Brought me right back to where I started - blank fields in the "Contact us". No indication of an error with the form, no confirmation of success in submitting the form.

So now I'm here, because not only can I not buy from their site, but I cannot even tell them that I cannot buy from their site. Hopefully someone at S&T will see this.

This is definitely not a problem with what I'm doing. I've been a sysadmin for 20 years and have actually been responsible for a couple of e-commerce sites in my time. This is probably the worst case I've ever seen in an e-commerce site that is supposed to be operational. They should probably just be selling from Amazon at this point.

All I want is "Double Stars for Small Telescopes"!

#2 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 28 January 2020 - 03:01 PM

Amazon shows it available. Shame about the S&T site.

• Carl Kolchak likes this

#3 AllanBjörklund

AllanBjörklund

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 January 2020 - 03:03 PM

I assume this is the link you're having trouble with: https://www.shopatsk...mall-telescopes

They do have some text at the top of the page saying they had a hard time transitioning from their old web store service.  So, perhaps they still have some kinks to work out.

Also, do you have Privacy Badger or any other tracking prevention extensions on your browsers?  I've run into sites that they break completely, and need to be white listed to work correctly.

But the book is available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.c...g/dp/1931559325

#4 jpcampbell

jpcampbell

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 January 2020 - 03:20 PM

Amazon shows it available. Shame about the S&T site.

Available new for over $300USD, and more reasonably priced used, of course. But since it's available new from S&T, I figured I might as well get it new.

I assume this is the link you're having trouble with: https://www.shopatsk...mall-telescopes

They do have some text at the top of the page saying they had a hard time transitioning from their old web store service.  So, perhaps they still have some kinks to work out.

Also, do you have Privacy Badger or any other tracking prevention extensions on your browsers?  I've run into sites that they break completely, and need to be white listed to work correctly.

But the book is available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.c...g/dp/1931559325

That's the link, and I read the note, but this isn't a kink, this is a non-functioning store.

Don't have Privacy Badger, no.

It's a shame though. All the stuff I'm reading here suggests there are some serious problems at S&T and these will need to be addressed sooner rather than later or they will likely not be around in a couple of years. If your online store isn't working, then close it and open it when it actually works. I mean, I can't buy, I can't register, and I can't contact them through their form. Why is it open at all?

#5 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 28 January 2020 - 03:28 PM

Just ordered one via the link above to Shop at Sky and Telescope and it worked flawlessly. Had the order completed and paid via Paypal in less than a minute. 

Have no idea why it doesn't work for you. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• turtle86, The Ardent and jpcampbell like this

#6 jpcampbell

jpcampbell

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 January 2020 - 04:00 PM

Well, that's somewhat encouraging, Thomas. Maybe it doesn't like that I'm on Linux? Will try on Windows.

#7 jpcampbell

jpcampbell

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 January 2020 - 04:00 PM

Thomas, are you a registered user?

#8 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 28 January 2020 - 04:31 PM

Thomas, are you a registered user?

Nope. Just followed the link, pressed the Paypal button, logged in on paypal, filled in the shipment method, pressed "OK" and done. I have received confirmation via email that the order has been accepted.  

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#9 jpcampbell

jpcampbell

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 January 2020 - 04:58 PM

I believe I've figured out where things go wrong. It isn't obvious, but it's definitely a bug with their site.

When I choose "Add to Cart" for the book, I get to the shopping cart page where there is the possibility to estimate shipping and tax. If enter the required information for this box and click "get a quote". any attempts at an order will fail after that. I need to either remove the cookies or open a new private window if in Firefox or incognito mode in Chrome. This allows me to properly start over, and so long as I don't choose to get a quote, I'll get to the Paypal page.

Glad you ordered it too, Thomas. It made me want to at least nail down what part of the process was failing. At this point I'm fairly sure that clicking "get a quote" will cause problems for people. At least those outside the U.S. anyway.

#10 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 28 January 2020 - 05:32 PM

The amount of stuff online that doesn't work properly is truly astounding !  More often than not the website was written by someones 13 YO nephew who's 'into computers'.  Yea, maybe it works for one browser most of the time!  Another major contributor to failure is speed considerations.  My access is metered and when I run out of 'high speed' at the end of the month many many website no longer work as they did when the 'high speed' was still working.

#11 petert913

petert913

Soyuz

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 28 January 2020 - 05:49 PM

Available new for over $300USD

Actually $34 USD on Amazon

#12 jpcampbell

jpcampbell

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 January 2020 - 05:59 PM

Used from $34.88 USD, new from $305.28. New from S&T for $29.99.

https://www.amazon.c...80252219&sr=8-1

#13 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:50 AM

Didn't work for me as well.  Just as the OP described.

Eric

#14 tchandler

tchandler

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 01 February 2020 - 03:21 PM

Strange. It worked fine for me. I live in Ontario.

#15 jpcampbell

jpcampbell

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 February 2020 - 05:30 PM

Looks to be fixed now. i was able to figure out that the problem would only occur for me when using the "Get a Quote" for shipping feature. Now I get the quote and I can proceed to paypal payment.

• tchandler likes this

#16 jpcampbell

jpcampbell

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 February 2020 - 07:52 AM

Just want to end this thread on a positive note. I managed to order Haas' "Double Stars for Small Telescopes" and it arrived yesterday. The issues I had were resolved, and I'm very happy to have this book!

• swalker and erin like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics