•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Night vision Binoscope

NV
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gavster

Gavster

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 January 2020 - 08:56 PM

I really enjoy using 2 pvs-14 as a binocular as per this thread

https://www.cloudyni...ion-binoculars/

You can definitely see more nebulosity with two eyes.

However, this was only at 1x, I wanted to see if it worked well

if more magnification was used with a binocular.

I was also keen to be able to use my 55mm plossl afocally to increase the effective speed but didn’t find anything that I thought would work well.
Then a few weeks ago I saw that Williams Optics has launched a 103mm binoscope with capacity for 2 inch eyepieces.

I immediately put in an order and it arrived today.

And we had clear skies so I was able to get out immediately and test it.

In summary, I’m very impressed. Two eyes at around 12 x is great. I was observing in my london back garden so not ideal but the views of the horsehead rivalled those of my 16 inch dob in the same garden with a clear black outline. The rosette was the best I’ve seen in London, really well defined and detailed. The binoscope has plenty of in focus so I was even able to use my 0.75x reducer with the plossl to increase the effective speed of the system to around 2.5.

It clouded over pretty soon but I can’t wait to try it again. A big thumbs up. I definitely like two eyed night vision observing.

Attached Thumbnails

• 127EB0E5-41AF-4F31-8D4B-44273B9BCE2E.jpeg
  • D71AD1D2-10AA-498A-95E5-65BEE89D74E2.jpeg

Edited by Gavster, 28 January 2020 - 08:57 PM.

• GeezerGazer, moshen, jdbastro and 7 others like this

#2 JMW

JMW

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:14 PM

I enjoy my Lunt 100mm APO ED binoculars but I will restrict my night vision to mono. I don't see dropping another $4K for a 2nd unit. 

I am sure you will enjoy your views.

• Gavster likes this

#3 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:29 PM

Binocular summation is powerful stuff. It increases the brightness by about .3x and reduces the perceived SN but perhaps a similar amount.

Congrats on your image intensified binocular scope!  Very fun for you!

• Gavster likes this

#4 GeezerGazer

GeezerGazer

Apollo

• Loc: Modesto, CA

Posted 29 January 2020 - 01:32 AM

Now THAT'S Exotic! ...I know you will enjoy them.  waytogo.gif  Congratulations Gavster.  I wonder what you'll see from the Isle of Wight with those beauties? 

Ray

• Gavster likes this

#5 Gavster

Gavster

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 January 2020 - 03:48 AM

Now THAT'S Exotic! ...I know you will enjoy them.  waytogo.gif  Congratulations Gavster.  I wonder what you'll see from the Isle of Wight with those beauties? 

Ray

Ray, thanks. I was thinking exactly the same when I was looking through them last night - can’t wait to get them to the Isle of Wight for some dark sky action. I don’t often observe with both eyes - it’s an interesting experience, there’s something ‘extra’ about it that I can’t describe - a bit of depth perception (which is of course nonsense on stellar objects), and more comfortable due to not squinting. I think it helps that my eyes are very similar. Certainly finer detail was apparent to me last night.

Edited by Gavster, 29 January 2020 - 03:48 AM.

• GeezerGazer likes this

#6 PEterW

PEterW

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 29 January 2020 - 02:06 PM

Welcome to the binocular forum... no pirates need apply ;-)! Great to hear things are working well.

Peter

#7 slavicek

slavicek

Mariner 2

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:44 PM

Nice! Probably my next project....smile.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NV

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics