•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Really Distant Objects With EAA

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan

Lagopus lagopus

• topic starter
  • Loc: Arctic

Posted 28 January 2020 - 08:58 PM

After seeing APM 08279+5255, I now wonder if I can go even further. I came upon a list of most distant objects.

List of the most distant astronomical objects

https://en.wikipedia...nomical_objects

FLI Goes to the Edge

https://flicamera.co...test/index.html

• S1mas, roelb, RazvanUnderStars and 2 others like this

#2 Rickster

Rickster

Apollo

• Loc: NC Kansas Bortle 3 SQM 21.8+

Posted 01 February 2020 - 10:49 PM

Interesting list that I wasn't aware of.  Thanks for posting.

• Ptarmigan likes this

#3 Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan

Lagopus lagopus

• topic starter

Posted 02 February 2020 - 03:10 PM

Interesting list that I wasn't aware of.  Thanks for posting.

Your kindly welcome Rickster.

I am surprised no one at the astrophotography, especially CCD/CMOS Astro Camera Imaging & Processing, has tried those distant objects.

One object of interest is ULAS J1342+0928, a quasar in Boötes.

#4 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 02 February 2020 - 04:21 PM

Your kindly welcome Rickster.

I am surprised no one at the astrophotography, especially CCD/CMOS Astro Camera Imaging & Processing, has tried those distant objects.

One object of interest is ULAS J1342+0928, a quasar in Boötes.

I am not surprised if that is so. Such objects are of interest to (EAA) observers, but are possibly of less interest to astrophotographers that want to drool over post processed pictures. Truly distant objects tend not to offer much artistic merit.

I get a 'wow' feeling whenever I see an object for the first time, but I rarely save an image. I certainly don't have the patience to tease out every last photon and don't have any real interest in imaging. For me it is about beating light pollution and about discovery with my own eyes (not art), albeit camera assisted.

• Ptarmigan, LFORLEESEE and descott12 like this

#5 tmaestro

tmaestro

Viking 1

• Loc: West of Houston, Texas

Posted 02 February 2020 - 05:05 PM

astrophotographers that want to drool over post processed pictures. Truly distant objects tend not to offer much artistic merit.

Truth.  Whenever I venture into a pure astrophotography forum or group and read about star-reduction algorithms and add-diffraction-spikes algorithms and such it makes me retch a little bit. Are we looking at an art project?  ...or a photograph?

I love the rawness of a capture that hasn't been massaged beyond a stretch and the basic darks and flats for hot pixel and vignetting compensation.

Edited by tmaestro, 02 February 2020 - 05:06 PM.

• Ptarmigan and Noah4x4 like this

#6 Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan

Lagopus lagopus

• topic starter

Posted 02 February 2020 - 05:31 PM

Truth.  Whenever I venture into a pure astrophotography forum or group and read about star-reduction algorithms and add-diffraction-spikes algorithms and such it makes me retch a little bit. Are we looking at an art project?  ...or a photograph?

I love the rawness of a capture that hasn't been massaged beyond a stretch and the basic darks and flats for hot pixel and vignetting compensation.

Astrophotography has a rigmarole for processing. That is clearly not for me right there.

I do not envy them one bit.

I remember one poster at CCD/CMOS Astro Camera Imaging & Processing would image distant galaxy clusters.

Edited by Ptarmigan, 02 February 2020 - 05:31 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics