•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

QSI 683wsg dying (?) -- where to go from here?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Calypte

Calypte

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Anza, California

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:49 AM

My QSI 683wsg, bought in 2012, worked perfectly as recently as three days ago.  Now it's showing herringbone patterns across all images.  It looks like RFI, but I haven't had this problem before, and my setup hasn't has changed.  I'm shooting with a TEC 140 at f/7.

OK, I want some input.  Get the QSI repaired?  I think it requires a trip to Portugal, doesn't it?  Should I look at one of the new Chinese CMOS cameras?

#2 DSOs4Me

DSOs4Me

Ranger 4

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 29 January 2020 - 01:27 AM

I would change out all cables first.

If you decide to get another camera buy them new at least the ZWO cameras. I've bought ZWO's on CN before and when they died ZWO told me to return them through the vendor they were bought from. Needless to say I have ZWO cameras I can't get fixed! QHY on the other hand allows you to send in for repairs. The other thing I like about QHY is they have heated chambers that keep the sensor from frosting up, a problem I have had with my ZWO's. Hopefully your problem is just a bad cable. - Clear Skies

#3 andysea

andysea

Soyuz

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 29 January 2020 - 01:36 AM

I would contact QSI first and see what is involved with sending it in for an estimate.

If you want to replace the camera you don't necessarily have to go CMOS. You can still buy CCD cameras for now.

#4 artem2

artem2

Messenger

• ****-
  • Loc: Österreich (no kangaroos in Austria)

Posted 29 January 2020 - 02:57 AM

I also! would always contact QSI you can find details for REPAIR SERVICE here https://qsimaging.co...epairs-returns/

I on my side have 2x SBIG CCD " ST10XME and ST8300M " which need a repair, but I am not sure if spending so much money for 2x postage fee from EU to US and back + repair fee + and taxes must be paid upon return, are worth.

Cheers and good luck

Martin

#5 flolic

flolic

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Split, Croatia

Posted 29 January 2020 - 03:02 AM

Martin, what's wrong with your cameras? Can you repair them locally?

Filip

#6 artem2

artem2

Messenger

• ****-

Posted 29 January 2020 - 03:12 AM

Hi Filip,

My SBIG ST10XME shows always " standard temperature value of " -153c confused1.gif  so the cooling is not working, since my CCD / Software or APP supposes it is already -153c cooled.

My ST8300M does not establish connection to my laptop, something with the USB PORT is wrong.. 

I don't think any external or a local technician can or will be able to fix those issues.. 

At this moment I did move to CMOS CCD..

Regards

Martin

Edited by artem2, 29 January 2020 - 03:14 AM.

#7 Calypte

Calypte

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 January 2020 - 03:50 AM

On reflection, of course I'll get the camera repaired!  There is nothing anyone can say or do that will get the camera working by, say, tomorrow night.  And any likely repair, even though it involves shipping overseas, will be much cheaper than even the cheapest new camera.  The suggestion to replace cables is interesting.  I have a spare USB cable that I can try.  Since the problem shows up in biases, I don't need a dark sky to test it.  What's particularly frustrating to me is that I broke my right leg last July 2, and it's only been since mid-December that I've even been able to enter the observatory.  Now that I finally have a clear, dry night with decent seeing, my trusty camera goes south.

The comment about QHY vs ZWO is interesting.  Mike Barber, formerly of SBIG (I think he was a founder), was working for QHY at AIC 2019.  I would think he has some confidence in the product to be willing to hitch his star to QHY.

#8 flolic

flolic

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 January 2020 - 03:51 AM

Hi Martin,

If you want, you can send those cameras to me to take a look. I own camera / electronics repair shop here in Split, Croatia, and have much experience with that kind of stuff.

We repair electronics on the component level (not just board swap), so maybe I can help. I also built few cooled CCD cameras from the ground up.

Postage fees from Austria to Croatia are minimal and there are no taxes and additional expenses.

If you are interested, drop me a PM and I can give you a details ;)

regards,
Filip

• artem2 likes this

#9 flolic

flolic

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 January 2020 - 03:53 AM

My QSI 683wsg, bought in 2012, worked perfectly as recently as three days ago.  Now it's showing herringbone patterns across all images.  It looks like RFI, but I haven't had this problem before, and my setup hasn't has changed.  I'm shooting with a TEC 140 at f/7.

Hi, what kind of power supply are you using?

#10 artem2

artem2

Messenger

• ****-

Posted 29 January 2020 - 03:53 AM

Thank you Filip waytogo.gif

I will drop you a PM

Regards

Martinwaytogo.gif

#11 Calypte

Calypte

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 January 2020 - 04:48 AM

Hi, what kind of power supply are you using?

The original wall-wart that came with the camera.

#12 flolic

flolic

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:13 AM

Maybe you can try with new power supply.

I don't know what the original PSU is, but if it is SMPS type (most likely it is), those can introduce interference after few years of use because of deteriorating filtering capacitors.

• Calypte likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics