•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Trying to figure out how to upgrade my focuser.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 pvarck31

pvarck31

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cleveland Ohio

Posted 29 January 2020 - 02:59 AM

Hey everyone, I got a Sky-Watcher 8" Dob about a month ago and I wanna upgrade the focuser to a duel speed. 

I'm still new to all this so I'm trying to figure out what to do and what stuff means. I was looking at this https://agenaastro.c...pgrade-kit.html

But I don't know if that will work. I don't know if my focuser is GSO or not. I tried to figure this out and hit a road block. So if it's GSO I would like to buy that if that would work for me. If it's not GSO, then what do I need to get that will work with the scope? I want to make sure it will fit as well, as I really don't want to drill holes. 

Thanks.

Edited by pvarck31, 29 January 2020 - 03:17 AM.

#2 luxo II

luxo II

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 29 January 2020 - 03:47 AM

A photo clearly showing what you have would help  - unfortunately our telescopes can't reach right round to your place for a look...

#3 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 29 January 2020 - 03:53 AM

Hi:

Does your scope have a Crayford focuser?  

There is a two speed upgrade kit for the skywatcher Crayfords but I don't know it is available in the US:

https://www.365astro...d-Focusers.html

Jon

• mrsjeff and pvarck31 like this

#4 pvarck31

pvarck31

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 January 2020 - 03:58 AM

Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails

• tele1.jpg

#5 pvarck31

pvarck31

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 January 2020 - 04:01 AM

Hi:

Does your scope have a Crayford focuser?  

There is a two speed upgrade kit for the skywatcher Crayfords but I don't know it is available in the US:

https://www.365astro...d-Focusers.html

Jon

Yes it is a Crayford. There is something like that sold here in the states, but on the site I looked I saw in a review that someone said it doesn't work with Sky Watcher.

Does that site deliver to the US?

Edited by pvarck31, 29 January 2020 - 04:02 AM.

#6 pvarck31

pvarck31

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 January 2020 - 04:35 AM

Jeez, someone on Reddit just told me to sell the telescope and get one that comes with a duel focuser. Surely there is something that isn't as dramatic as this, right?

#7 scottmm2012

scottmm2012

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 January 2020 - 06:34 AM

You can purchase just a dual speed focuser to replace the stock.  Or go the much simpler route and take a 2" spring clamp and clamp one of the focus knobs.  By increasing the "diameter" of the knob you will effectively turn it into a finer focus knob.  Will it be 10:1?  Probably not.  Will it increase the shakes when focusing.  Probably will.

Much like this member did to his stock focuser.

More ideas.

This hobby is expensive and if you want/need good functioning equipment, money will of course help with modifications.

#8 scottmm2012

scottmm2012

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 January 2020 - 06:41 AM

This gentleman did the Lacerta modification.  He was from Florida and at the time paid $95 to his door.  

#9 ibwaldo4sure

ibwaldo4sure

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma - USA

Posted 29 January 2020 - 08:59 AM

You didn't mention how much you want to spend, so I'm not sure if this is in your budget.  I upgraded to a MoonLite focuser and couldn't be happier with how it turned out.  I'm sure there are cheaper options out there.  I will say the installation was very easy and there is no drilling required (at least for mine).  If you contact them with the information on your telescope, they will let you know what the recommended draw tube length and other options are for your application.  They were very responsive to my questions and I highly recommend them to anyone.

http://focuser.com/products.php

• SteveG and BDS316 like this

#10 pvarck31

pvarck31

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 January 2020 - 06:22 PM

I found this and was told this would just go right into the same base I have now. Only issue is, there are multiple base plates you need to choose from. 

I figure it's it 1A or 1B on there. I did a quick measurement on my focuser and it didn't match to either of those options. 

So at this point I don't know what I'm gonna do. 

BTW my budget is under $200. I might just get that upgrade from the UK site.

#11 ibwaldo4sure

ibwaldo4sure

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma - USA

Posted 29 January 2020 - 11:01 PM

I found this and was told this would just go right into the same base I have now. Only issue is, there are multiple base plates you need to choose from. 

I figure it's it 1A or 1B on there. I did a quick measurement on my focuser and it didn't match to either of those options. 

So at this point I don't know what I'm gonna do. 

BTW my budget is under $200. I might just get that upgrade from the UK site.

You should be able to do something within your budget, but it looks like a MoonLite is a bit out of reach once you add in the mounting hardware...  I did send you a PM, so have a look.

• pvarck31 likes this

#12 pvarck31

pvarck31

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 January 2020 - 11:36 PM

I ended up going with the Lacerta upgrade kit from the UK. Less than $100 and I figure it would be easier than buying a whole new focuser that may or may not fit then I'd have to return it and start all over. 

Thanks everyone for your help.

Edited by pvarck31, 29 January 2020 - 11:36 PM.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#13 tog

tog

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Front Yard

Posted 29 January 2020 - 11:47 PM

https://agenaastro.c...dual-speed.html

has some good focusers with a drop down menu to help pick the correct base and well within your budget.

Edited by tog, 29 January 2020 - 11:48 PM.

#14 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 04 February 2020 - 12:32 PM

More expensive but kinda practical... I do have a dual speed on my dob... but I added a Rigel Systems electronic focuser.

You don't need a dual speed focuser if you add an electronic as the electronic has very, very fine focus inherently. The bonus is that you can eliminate messing with the focusr and subsequent vibration by using the hand controller that the electronic offers... this means that you can continually tweek the focus while viewing too...

• SonnyE and scottmm2012 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics