•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Messier 106

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 29 January 2020 - 03:23 AM

Orion 80mm ED80TCF refractor, ASI071MC Pro, best 24 of 34 600" subs. And a dark night.

Beginner processing in PI. ArcsinH stretch gave nice colors IMHO.  The image attached is compressed, a better one is on Astrobin.

M106 24x 600sec 50pct crop3.jpg

Annotated image on IMGUR

Edited by t-ara-fan, 29 January 2020 - 03:24 AM.

• bill w, NMCN, edif300 and 24 others like this

#2 neaptide

neaptide

Viking 1

• Loc: NY

Posted 29 January 2020 - 08:27 AM

Very nice image!!! I really like the framing to include the other galaxies. 

• t-ara-fan likes this

#3 Peregrinatum

Peregrinatum

Viking 1

• Loc: South Central Valley, Ca

Posted 29 January 2020 - 09:59 AM

Looks good... for your initial stretch try MaskedStretch and it will help contain star bloat and color.  Then finish off with ArcsinhStretch.

• t-ara-fan likes this

#4 elmiko

elmiko

Skylab

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:50 PM

Very nice image T-ara-fan! Details and color are beautiful!

#5 sunnyday

sunnyday

Skylab

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 12 February 2020 - 11:03 PM

nice wide shot 

#6 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 13 February 2020 - 01:35 PM

Looks good... for your initial stretch try MaskedStretch and it will help contain star bloat and color.  Then finish off with ArcsinhStretch.

Thanks, I will try that.  I just learned to do mask operations a couple of days ago.

So you are saying mask then stretch? As opposed to stretching everything, then masking the galaxies and enhancing their contrast and saturation? 

Or how about stretch galaxies, then invert mask and stretch the stars by a different amount?

#7 FlankerOneTwo

FlankerOneTwo

Viking 1

• Loc: Vegas, baby!

Posted 14 February 2020 - 02:48 AM

Thanks, I will try that.  I just learned to do mask operations a couple of days ago.

So you are saying mask then stretch? As opposed to stretching everything, then masking the galaxies and enhancing their contrast and saturation? 

Or how about stretch galaxies, then invert mask and stretch the stars by a different amount?

I think he means the "MaskedStretch" process. This allows you to specify a desired background level for the result, it then iteratively masks and stretches by small amounts to achieve that result; I usually find that 200 or 300 iterations is adequate. The upshot is that is prevents massive star bloating that can result from a single large stretch. It does typically need some additional stretching to get a final result.

The problem with applying a star mask and stretching the stars and backgrounds by different amounts is that it produces noticeable halos and transitions at the mask edges.

• t-ara-fan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics