•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Globular Cluster NGC 2419 - Intergalactic Wanderer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rustler46

Rustler46

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Coos Bay, Oregon

Posted 29 January 2020 - 03:49 AM

Another cloudy night to look at some old astro-photos. The one presented here is a remote globular cluster, that is twice the distance of the Large Magellanic Cloud - 300,000 light years. NGC 2419 acquired its name Intergalactic Wanderer when it was erroneously believed not to be in orbit around our galaxy. According to the information in SkySafari it takes some 3 billion years to complete an orbit around the Milky Way. Here's a screen shot from SkySafari showing its position relative to the Milky Way:

IMG_A5DA0AF8245C-1.jpeg

The following image was acquired with a GSO (Hardin Optical) 10-inch Newtonian at f/5.5.

Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 12.12.39 AM.png

ZWO ASI290MC video camera, 10 X 45-sec. stacked with Autostakkert! 2, Wavelets w/ Registax 6; no UV/IR cut filter. The field of view is a bit less than 14 arc-minutes in width. Along with the 1400mm focal length the camera's tiny sensor (5.6 X 3.2 mm) makes for the tight FOV.

The burned out bright star is HD 60771 at 7.2 magnitude. The brighter field stars are around 14.5 to 15th magnitude. According to the Hubble Telescope H-R diagram in A Globular Cluster Database, the brighter cluster members are around 18th magnitude:

Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 12.25.46 AM.png

My image is nothing to write home about. But the cluster is interesting nonetheless. One source states that in absolute brightness it is in fourth place behind Omega Centauri, NGC 6388 (in Scorpius) and M54 (in Sagittarius). It is further stated to be the most remote Milky Way object that can be seen with moderate size amateur telescopes.

Clear Skies are Coming,

Russ

Edited by Rustler46, 29 January 2020 - 03:51 PM.

• dmdouglass, elmiko, DuncanM and 7 others like this

#2 happylimpet

happylimpet

Skylab

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:29 AM

Nice image and some superb information. While I'm familiar with the object I didnt appreciate how luminous and distant it really is.

It seems a bit strange that if it really is that luminous a cluster, that so many individual stars are clearly visible; the really massive globulars seem to have their individual stars almost lost in the 'swarm'. Anyway, who am I to doubt....

Here's my pic, needs clicking on when you see it to zoom in.

https://www.flickr.c.../in/dateposted/

• jeffreym and Rustler46 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics