•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cosmic Challenge: February 2020 NGC 2298

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 PhilH

PhilH

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 01 February 2020 - 07:19 AM

Although most globular clusters line the summer sky as they huddle around the core of our galaxy, there are a few renegades that have stepped out on their own to occupy regions far beyond the rest. One such globular, nestled behind the rich Milky Way star fields of Puppis, is NGC 2298.

Click here to view the article
  • Dave Mitsky, Carl Kolchak and RyanSem like this

#2 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 03 February 2020 - 12:12 PM

I don't think that I've observed NGC 2298 previously and am planning on giving it a try at the next opportunity.  It's going to be awfully low in altitude, however.

https://in-the-sky.o....php?id=NGC2298

http://www.astronomy...variable-nebula

http://spider.seds.o...MWGC/n2298.html

• PhilH and msmithmitsky like this

#3 RyanSem

RyanSem

Viking 1

• Loc: Lancaster, PA

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:14 PM

Having trouble making it out. Used the GoTo and it's centered perfectly on all other objects. Might just be losing this one in the branches of a tree. Will try again at another site the next time it's clear. 

• PhilH and msmithmitsky like this

#4 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 18 February 2020 - 06:03 PM

I had planned on trying to observe NGC 2298 last night.  Unfortunately, the sky grew mostly overcast earlier than I had hoped.  I had the Naylor Observatory's 17" classical Cassegrain pointed where the globular cluster would have been visible and the scope was almost horizontal.  I had looked at M79 in Lepus while it was still relatively clear but that globular cluster is located 11 degrees farther north.

• PhilH likes this

#5 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:00 PM

I'm currently at the Naylor Observatory.  I spent a long time searching for NGC 2298 tonight using the 17" f/15 classical Cassegrain housed in the French Dome.  The conditions weren't the best but I did have a mostly clear view of the stretch of sky below Canis Major. 

I re-calibrated the Argo Navis a number of times and had no trouble locating M79 and NGC 2362 but NGC 2298 eluded me.  I took a look at the two Collinder clusters mentioned in the article, Collinder 135 and 140, and was about to give up when I decided to try one more time.  Success!  NGC 2298 was quite faint and indistinct but I could see it with direct vision.

I observed the globular cluster at 116, 170, 216, 259, and 324x, with 216x providing the best view.  It was barely visible at 116x.

By the way, magnitude 2.7 Pi Puppis was quite colorful.

• PhilH likes this

#6 RyanSem

RyanSem

Viking 1

Posted 20 February 2020 - 10:15 PM

I'm currently at the Naylor Observatory.  I spent a long time searching for NGC 2298 tonight using the 17" f/15 classical Cassegrain housed in the French Dome.  The conditions weren't the best but I did have a mostly clear view of the stretch of sky below Canis Major. 

I re-calibrated the Argo Navis a number of times and had no trouble locating M79 and NGC 2362 but NGC 2298 eluded me.  I took a look at the two Collinder clusters mentioned in the article, Collinder 135 and 140, and was about to give up when I decided to try one more time.  Success!  NGC 2298 was quite faint and indistinct but I could see it with direct vision.

I observed the globular cluster at 116, 170, 216, 259, and 324x, with 216x providing the best view.  It was barely visible at 116x.

By the way, magnitude 2.7 Pi Puppis was quite colorful.

Glad you hear you nabbed it, Dave! I went out again last night with my 8" SCT and just couldn't find it. I could spot both the 11.0 and 11.3 mag stars directly adjacent to it, but no globular. It's driving me crazy!

I thought I had a glimpse of it for a brief second with AV, but I couldn't sustain it or get it again so I'm not counting it yet. 

• PhilH likes this

#7 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 21 February 2020 - 03:15 PM

Glad you hear you nabbed it, Dave! I went out again last night with my 8" SCT and just couldn't find it. I could spot both the 11.0 and 11.3 mag stars directly adjacent to it, but no globular. It's driving me crazy!

I thought I had a glimpse of it for a brief second with AV, but I couldn't sustain it or get it again so I'm not counting it yet. 

From where are you observing?

Do happen to be an AELC member?

#8 RyanSem

RyanSem

Viking 1

Posted 21 February 2020 - 10:02 PM

From where are you observing?

Do happen to be an AELC member?

In too bright a zone :) I've been hoping to head down to muddy run observatory on the next clear public night.

Not a member of AELC... I might join eventually but I prefer to observe alone most of the time so I don't see a reason to yet.
  • PhilH likes this

#9 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 21 February 2020 - 11:40 PM

I was in the AELC for about 10 years, when the meetings were held at the North Museum.  I dropped out after I joined the Chesmont Astronomical Society.  Being a member of three astronomy clubs is enough.  (I also belong to the Astronomical Society of Harrisburg and the Delaware Valley Amateur Astronomers.)

• PhilH likes this

#10 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 21 February 2020 - 11:42 PM

I was able to observe, if that's the right word for it, NGC 2298 again tonight from the Naylor Observatory.  I used the 17" classical Cassegrain at 170 and 259x.  The globular was barely visible and required jogging the scope slightly to be confirmed.

• PhilH and RyanSem like this

#11 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 25 February 2020 - 01:07 AM

I observed NGC 2298 again on Saturday night with the 17" classical Cassegrain.  Once again it was very difficult to detect.

• PhilH likes this

#12 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 25 February 2020 - 02:12 AM

I just saw this thread this evening. I'm in the high desert where I have excellent visibility to the south but with some added light pollution from a prison across the border in Mexico.

The skies are clear but not particularly dark. Probably 20.8 mpsas in the area. NGC 2298 was at about 20 degrees elevation. Seeing at that elevation was poor.

I was using the 22 inch at 134x and spotted it quickly starhopping. The best view was at 216x, a small bright globular i was able to resolve reasonably well.  It reminded me of M30 in the 12.5 inch.

I gave it a go in my 80 mm F/6 and 100 mm F/5:and was able to see it as a small fuzzy spot.

My southerly location with a clear southern view and a relatively large aperture were real advantages.

Starsplitter 22 inch Evening in Boulevard.jpg

My view to the south. The hills beyond the nearby trees are across the border in Mexico.

Jon

• Dave Mitsky, ArizonaScott, PhilH and 2 others like this

#13 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted Yesterday, 10:32 AM

Just a quick update.

Wednesday night I gave 2298 a go with my 12.5 inch. Conditions were similar.  With the wider field of the 12.5 inch it was easy to find but i was not able to resolve it, it was a blog with some texture.

Jon

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics