•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Opinions on smaller APO scopes?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#51 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Skylab

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 17 February 2020 - 06:08 AM

I think you made a fine choice. I owned a TV76 and have used many FC76 scopes. The advantage of the TV76 is it's huge FOV packed in a short package. But I found I couldn't take advantage of the large FOV because of the field curvature. I determined the usable, in focus FOV using a 31 Nagler in my TV76 was the same size as in my TV85, which maintained nice sharp stars to the edge. 

The FC76 is a very nice scope under the stars, but doesn't have the same small profile that the TV76 does. So there are some trade offs either way. But given the FC76 is a small scope anyway, I think overall you made a good choice.

• niteskystargazer and Terra Nova like this

#52 Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike

Vanguard

• Loc: Churchville, NY

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:39 PM

Ya, I agree. Anyone actually in the know about this?

I am intrigued with the 76mm Tak doublets and TV's are nice too, I'm sure, but pricey for what they offer. The Tak costs less than the TV... apples and oranges again.

Yes - A good triplet will have no false color whereas most doublets will have a *little* on the broghtest objects but it depends on factors like glass type, quality, etc.  I got a "good one" with my FCD-1 based Explore Sci triplet and its color free on any objects.  Ive owned quality doublets from Stellarvue, William, etc and while they were great scopes they werent as color free as my triplet.  YMMV.  For visual, I like the idea of a triplet.  Just my opinion.

#53 barbie

barbie

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:41 PM

I've seen no color in my Tak FC76, even at 325x when viewing the moon. Bright objects like Sirius, Vega and Venus don't show any false color either. Just because a scope is a triplet doesn't guarantee there won't be any false color because I've owned triplets that were showing CA while my Tak Flourites showed none visually.

• Terra Nova, StarDust1 and Steve Allison like this

#54 Lookitup

Lookitup

Ranger 4

• Loc: Florida

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:17 PM

I've seen no color in my Tak FC76, even at 325x when viewing the moon. Bright objects like Sirius, Vega and Venus don't show any false color either. Just because a scope is a triplet doesn't guarantee there won't be any false color because I've owned triplets that were showing CA while my Tak Flourites showed none visually.

WOW, that FC76 must be exceptional all around. Tak DF is special to me vs. my beloved ED100. Why can't the Chinese offer Flourites, who knows. How's your Alltair F11 doing vs the Tak DF I wonder? Lucky us to get close to the limit. 

Attached Thumbnails

• thumbnail_IMG_4965.jpg

• payner, eros312, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#55 desertlens

desertlens

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 36°N 105°W

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:31 PM

IMO, the FC-76 is as fine a three inch instrument as you will find for visual use. Good choice... have fun.

TakFC76Dtz.jpg

• Erik Bakker, payner, AZStarGuy and 4 others like this

#56 scooke

scooke

Mariner 2

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:35 PM

AT92 is the best small APO I've owned.  Power of a 102 with the size of an 80.  16.5" long for easy travel.  Range from 5+ degree field of view to 300x+ on the moon and planets.  Swiss army knife of telescopes. 

• kmparsons, desertlens, Tyson M and 1 other like this

#57 Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike

Vanguard

Posted 20 February 2020 - 11:40 AM

Im usre thats true - but a triplet would have to be prettty mucked up to show any tangible color, wouldnt it? I also get that the highest end doublets with super premium glass wont show much color but thats to be expected.  I also think extra long focal ranges helps here too.  An F/8 , F/9 or greater doublet wont show much either, Id suspect.

#58 barbie

barbie

Apollo

Posted 20 February 2020 - 05:21 PM

A triplet doesn't have to be "pretty mucked up" in order to have a little color.  Out of the four that I owned, only one, an A-P 5" F12 showed no color. The others were alot faster and not as well color correted. I won't get into brand names but focal length had alot of involvement here.

#59 Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike

Vanguard

Posted 20 February 2020 - 07:16 PM

A triplet doesn't have to be "pretty mucked up" in order to have a little color.  Out of the four that I owned, only one, an A-P 5" F12 showed no color. The others were alot faster and not as well color correted. I won't get into brand names but focal length had alot of involvement here.

How is there color if all colors are focused properly?  Isnt that the point?  Why make a triplet that isnt color free?  Defeats the purpose completely.   so you've looked through several triplets that hadfalse color?  That seems rather odd to me.  And the one that didnt was an F/12?  Pretty narrow use range with such a long focal length.  Thats like Mak-Cass territory.

You can mention brand names here - Im genuinely curious as to what triplets showed color.  The three Ive looked through certainly didnt at all.

Edited by Mr. Mike, 20 February 2020 - 07:18 PM.

#60 barbie

barbie

Apollo

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:50 PM

I'm not going to mention brand names, period!!  The units that I looked through showed some color. Whether or not they may have been using a lower quality ED glass, I can't say but this was around 10 years ago so the newer, more current offerings may have improved. Getting back to my original point, I haven't seen any color in any of my Tak Flourites doublets and I am quite sensitive to CA. As good as the A-P 5" F12 oiled triplet was, I never liked the seemingly dim images of the planets it produced but it was sharp optically. The mechanics left much to be desired however. I've heard good things about the ES triplets and if you say it's color free, I believe you! There is, however, more to making a quality objective lens than just color correction, i.e. spherical aberration and other corrective properties.  I know because I used to be an Optical Engineer/Physicist and longtime "glass pusher".  The products being marketed today are, for the most part outstanding. Just get out and enjoy the clear nights because it seems they are becoming more rare.

Edited by barbie, 20 February 2020 - 08:55 PM.

• Erik Bakker likes this

#61 Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike

Vanguard

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:14 PM

I'm not going to mention brand names, period!!  The units that I looked through showed some color. Whether or not they may have been using a lower quality ED glass, I can't say but this was around 10 years ago so the newer, more current offerings may have improved. Getting back to my original point, I haven't seen any color in any of my Tak Flourites doublets and I am quite sensitive to CA. As good as the A-P 5" F12 oiled triplet was, I never liked the seemingly dim images of the planets it produced but it was sharp optically. The mechanics left much to be desired however. I've heard good things about the ES triplets and if you say it's color free, I believe you! There is, however, more to making a quality objective lens than just color correction, i.e. spherical aberration and other corrective properties.  I know because I used to be an Optical Engineer/Physicist and longtime "glass pusher".  The products being marketed today are, for the most part outstanding. Just get out and enjoy the clear nights because it seems they are becoming more rare.

All good.  As I’ve said before, I think I got a good one as they say since variability does happen with the more entry level scopes.  I’m pretty sensitive to false color too so I hear ya.  Why was the AP producing dim images though? Curious.

Totally agree that there is a lot that goes into a scope as to what makes it good or not.  Being an optical guy you know this. ;).  I think the hobby is in a good state right now for gear since there are some very solid products out there for just about anyone at any price level.  Now, that being said, there is a 99.999996% percent chance that my next refractor WILL be a TAK.  I know they are premium and the are worth it.  Love to go with a 120mm so I get a little more aperture than my 102mm.

clear nights? What are those? I’m In upstate, NY so I don’t get many! :).

#62 Matty S

Matty S

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Hillsboro, Nh

Posted 13 March 2020 - 12:29 PM

Well folks, I committed to the Tak 76DS.grin.gif  Ordered through Astronomics today. Now... onto mounting rings (clamshell?) and finderscopes...

• Jon Isaacs, bbyrd, payner and 5 others like this

#63 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 13 March 2020 - 12:36 PM

I see no color (other than Astrospheric Dispersion) when viewing Venus with my 80mm WO Megrez II FD at similar magnifications.  in my experience, Venus is the toughest when it comes to CA.  

Maybe if I were 40, I might see some CA but not these days.

Jon

#64 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 13 March 2020 - 01:22 PM

I completely agree! My Tak FC76 F8 is optical perfection! No false color detectable and super sharp, contrasty images! It’ll do 100X an inch on Jupiter with no image breakdown. But while I consider it somewhat of a grab and go, I don’t see it a travel scope by any means. At F8 and without a sliding dew shield it’s a fairly long scope, and being built like a tank it’s quite heavy for a scope in its class. The thick metal manhole cover lens cap is a good indication. Plus, to get the most out of it in terms of the high magnifications this scope is capable of, it needs a rigid, stable mount considering its weight. Mine is a lifetime keeper. I truly love it. But by the time it in it’s roadcase is loaded into the back seat of my crew-cab pickup, along with mount, tripod, eyepiece case and various accessories, the whole back of the cab is pretty much occupied. It’s a travel scope if traveling by car (or truck), but if going by bus, train, ship or plane, or if backpacking with a scope, something smaller and lighter (TV76) would be desired in my opinion.

Attached Thumbnails

• E3C2040B-EBA4-49F7-BFBA-F333008E2C12.jpeg

Edited by Terra Nova, 13 March 2020 - 01:23 PM.

• payner, eros312, ken30809 and 3 others like this

#65 grif 678

grif 678

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 13 March 2020 - 01:25 PM

I would get some opinions from others on the scratchy focuser on sky watcher telescopes. I had the Evostar 72mm, and the focuser was terrible, and then I read where others had the same problem. Not saying this is a problem on the 80, but it could.

#66 Matty S

Matty S

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 March 2020 - 09:30 AM

But while I consider it somewhat of a grab and go, I don’t see it a travel scope by any means. At F8 and without a sliding dew shield it’s a fairly long scope, and being built like a tank it’s quite heavy for a scope in its class. The thick metal manhole cover lens cap is a good indication. Plus, to get the most out of it in terms of the high magnifications this scope is capable of, it needs a rigid, stable mount considering its weight. Mine is a lifetime keeper. I truly love it. But by the time it in it’s roadcase is loaded into the back seat of my crew-cab pickup, along with mount, tripod, eyepiece case and various accessories, the whole back of the cab is pretty much occupied. It’s a travel scope if traveling by car (or truck), but if going by bus, train, ship or plane, or if backpacking with a scope, something smaller and lighter (TV76) would be desired in my opinion.

Totally agree. I had to adjust my ideas as to what I was really looking for as this thread continued and folks offered more points to ponder. I consider it a grab n' go for me (by car), to a nearby dark sky site but we'll see how I feel when I have it in my hot little hands.grin.gif

My ST80 is a great grab n' go but is optically limited and my sv102 is a very nice optically but is awfully big and heavy. I think the 76ds will find it's place in the niche in between.

• Terra Nova likes this

#67 Jsquared

Jsquared

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Duncan, Ok

Posted 21 March 2020 - 06:37 PM

Ordered a tv-76 two weeks ago. Back ordered. Quote is as long as two months longer now that televue is shut down. Found a fc76dcu in classifieds and bought it after calling all around the web and being unable to find a tv-76.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • eros312 likes this

#68 barbie

barbie

Apollo

Posted 21 March 2020 - 07:40 PM

I think you'll be very pleased with the Tak FC76 DCU.  If you can afford it, get the 1.7x Extender CQ for $407.00 from Takahashi America(Texas Nautical Repair) to make the F7.5 scope into an F12 scope for exceptional performance.

#69 Matty S

Matty S

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 March 2020 - 11:10 AM

My new 76ds arrived the other day, triple boxed and packaged to survive a hurricane. Just got time to open it up and check it out last night.

First impressions are a feel of exceptional build quality and attention to detail compared to other scopes I've handled. Although small and compact it is a bit on the heavy side with the 2" r&p focuser and extension tube it's nothing unexpected.

From the smoothness of the focuser and the sliding dew shield to the snug fit of the aluminum dew shield cover and eyepiece adapter lid (love that little bit), the whole kit is more robust than I expected.

Tube rings are still shipping and I'm still unsure about a finderscope (whether I need one, or what type I can adapt) but I'm gonna see if I can set it up for a little daytime peek across the bog just for kicks.

Forecast is calling for rain and snow for the foreseeable future in these parts and with my schedule getting more hectic week to week I'm not sure when I can get it under the stars but I am looking forward to many happy years of contented stargazing with this little beauty.

A few obligatory pics...

Attached Thumbnails

• taka.jpg
  • takb.jpg
  • takc.jpg
  • takd.jpg
  • take.jpg

Edited by Matty S, 22 March 2020 - 11:12 AM.

• plyscope, payner, GlenM and 8 others like this

#70 moonrider

moonrider

Mariner 2

• Loc: Murphy, NC

Posted 22 March 2020 - 09:34 PM

Although it may seem a triplet is not needed for visual use, I have found balancing to be an issue with the heavy mega-eyepieces.  I love widefield during the day.  I am glad it's a triplet.  Also, with that much more light, the cromatic abberation can be more apparent.  I use an ES80CF with FCD01 glass.  At very high powers, the colors are apparent.

Don't discount the high end spotters for astro use.  I am sure you have heard of the Leica zoom and will save room in your budget for it, whichever way you go.

Like my ES80 also. Great scope....

#71 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 23 March 2020 - 01:41 AM

My new 76ds arrived the other day, triple boxed and packaged to survive a hurricane. Just got time to open it up and check it out last night.

First impressions are a feel of exceptional build quality and attention to detail compared to other scopes I've handled. Although small and compact it is a bit on the heavy side with the 2" r&p focuser and extension tube it's nothing unexpected.

From the smoothness of the focuser and the sliding dew shield to the snug fit of the aluminum dew shield cover and eyepiece adapter lid (love that little bit), the whole kit is more robust than I expected.

Tube rings are still shipping and I'm still unsure about a finderscope (whether I need one, or what type I can adapt) but I'm gonna see if I can set it up for a little daytime peek across the bog just for kicks.

Forecast is calling for rain and snow for the foreseeable future in these parts and with my schedule getting more hectic week to week I'm not sure when I can get it under the stars but I am looking forward to many happy years of contented stargazing with this little beauty.

A few obligatory pics...

Matty,

This is on my list of scopes to get - along with the Baader Clicklock and Starlight Instruments Micropinion assembly! Looks gorgeous!

As for a finderbase, I strongly recommend this - I have it on my FS-128 and FOA-60. Elegant and lightweight, with excellent built quality. I hate straight through finderscopes and just use RDFs, so this allows me to use whatever I want.

If you do go for the standard Tak finderscope, remember to ask your dealer for the complementary chiropractor provided as standard accessory at no extra cost lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

• eros312, Astrohobby, Tyson M and 2 others like this

#72 payner

payner

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bluegrass & Cumberland Valley Regions, Kentucky

Posted 23 March 2020 - 09:03 AM

Matty: Congratulations on your new Takahashi. Your description of the build qualities are spot-on, imo. Enjoy your telescope.

Best,

• Matty S likes this

#73 Matty S

Matty S

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 March 2020 - 09:42 AM

As for a finderbase, I strongly recommend this - I have it on my FS-128 and FOA-60. Elegant and lightweight, with excellent built quality. I hate straight through finderscopes and just use RDFs, so this allows me to use whatever I want.

If you do go for the standard Tak finderscope, remember to ask your dealer for the complementary chiropractor provided as standard accessory at no extra cost lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

Agree completely on straight-through finders, Nick. I've replaced nearly all of mine with RA's or Telrads.

I use finders on my Newts but I find small refractors are nearly finder scopes in themselves. My ST80 equipped with a wide angle ep is a joy to use to find objects, then I just swap out eps and dial in the magnification. I suspect the Tak will be the same.

That's a nice little base though, and the silver matches the Taks trim... thanks, I'll keep it in mind.

I opted for a set of aluminum alloy tube rings from that same company - should look pretty cool. Sometimes the aesthetics are important too.waytogo.gif

• 25585 likes this

#74 Toddeo

Toddeo

Apollo

• Loc: Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 23 March 2020 - 09:58 AM

The AT72EDII is by far the best bang for your buck! You can purchase one -new for under $500. The focuser is built like a tank and it has a sliding dew shield. With FPL-53, you can't go wrong.

• Tyson M likes this

#75 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

• Loc: Canada

Posted 23 March 2020 - 10:01 AM

A few obligatory pics...

Congrats!

You might be surprised on just how soon you manage to get out under the stars, with the grab and go nature of the scope.

As for the finder, you have the DS so I don't think you need one.  Get a 27 pan or APM 30 UFF for a light weight 2" to use as a finder EP.  This is not a glass gernade eyepiece scope IMO.

If you go 1.25" with the 2" diagonal, like a 32 plossl or 24 pan, go with the 6x30 finder.

Just might thoughts, enjoy the scope!  Share your experiences! 

Regards

• 25585 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics