•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Opinions on smaller APO scopes?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#76 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 23 March 2020 - 03:26 PM

+1 for the 30mm APM UFF.

#77 Jsquared

Jsquared

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Duncan, Ok

Posted 30 March 2020 - 11:11 PM

Hey Takahashi is running a sale on Fc76dcu only $1,278.00 new

#78 Jsquared

Jsquared

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 08 April 2020 - 06:46 PM

Tak sale now ended. Hope someone benefited.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#79 Jsquared

Jsquared

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 13 June 2020 - 09:50 AM

Bump

#80 kmparsons

kmparsons

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 13 June 2020 - 10:19 AM

I see that the OP got the TAK FC 76, which is an excellent choice, so this is a bit moot. However, if anyone else wants a small, high-quality travel scope, you might consider that Stellarvue has its 80mm triplet with carbon fiber tube for $1795. Some people do not like carbon fiber, but it does make for a lighter tube. I have had the SV carbon fiber 80mm apo triplet for several years, and have found it to be a highly versatile, easily transportable, and optically splendid instrument. I wish I had had it ten years ago when I got a chance to go to Lake Titicaca and view the southern skies from 12,000 feet. With a high-quality zoom eyepiece, like the TV 3-6mm, you can even get pleasing high magnification views. 

• jimandlaura26, BravoFoxtrot and ken30809 like this

#81 RichA

RichA

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 13 June 2020 - 07:04 PM

I see that the OP got the TAK FC 76, which is an excellent choice, so this is a bit moot. However, if anyone else wants a small, high-quality travel scope, you might consider that Stellarvue has its 80mm triplet with carbon fiber tube for $1795. Some people do not like carbon fiber, but it does make for a lighter tube. I have had the SV carbon fiber 80mm apo triplet for several years, and have found it to be a highly versatile, easily transportable, and optically splendid instrument. I wish I had had it ten years ago when I got a chance to go to Lake Titicaca and view the southern skies from 12,000 feet. With a high-quality zoom eyepiece, like the TV 3-6mm, you can even get pleasing high magnification views. 

Isn't the Tak lighter than most 80mm triplets today?  I had an FS76, it was pretty light as they go.

#82 Matty S

Matty S

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Hillsboro, Nh

Posted 14 June 2020 - 11:34 AM

Isn't the Tak lighter than most 80mm triplets today?  I had an FS76, it was pretty light as they go.

The FC76d ota weighs in at just over 6 lbs. With rings and dovetail plate attached mine is 8.5 lbs. Add a 2" ep and I'm looking at about 9 lbs on the mount.

• eros312 likes this

#83 gwlee

gwlee

Vanguard

• Loc: 38N 120W

Posted 16 June 2020 - 12:33 PM

Ok folks, I'd like to pick your brains about small aperture APO scopes.
As my b-day is coming up this May I have been given the go-ahead to purchase a small, travel-sized APO.
I've checked out higher-end spotters from Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica, etc, but can't justify the high cost for a day scope with limited use for astro.
I'd like a scope that will do double-duty in both daytime spotting and astro use.
I am excited to finally be able to add some really nice glass to the stable.
Ya, it's apples to oranges here, but I know you folks have opinions on some of these, both good and bad. Not looking for any particular brand name or anything like that; looking for a real "keeper".

My candidates (so far):
Takahashi FC-76DS
William Optics APO’s (several)
Tele Vue TV76
Sky-Watcher Esprit 80 mm Triplet
Orion 80 mm ED F/6 CF Triplet
Meade 80 mm Series 6000 f/6
Astro Tech 72 ED ll

In a nutshell:
True APO optics
Small physical size
Mostly visual use, no AP.
70mm to 80mm
Up to $2500

Prefer larger, 2.5" dual-speed focusers
Also interested in classic scopes that may meet these requirements.

I am very satisfied with an AT72ED2 with a Baader 2” AMICI prism that I have been using for astronomy and spotting for a few years. It’s about 12” long, so travels well. With a 27 Pan it gives a 4 degree field at 16x.  4 degrees is the same FOV as the Telrad used on my Dob. Previously used a TV60 in this role, which is more compact, but like the AT72ED2 better.

Astro scopes used for spotting are more susceptible to damage than a spotting scope, and any scope that’s used for travel is susceptible to damage, loss, and theft, so I wouldn’t use a more expensive astro scope for these purposes. As a practical matter, don’t think using a more expensive scope in this role would have any advantage for me. I know the A-P Stowaway that I also own doesn’t although it’s a better astro scope. 

Edited by gwlee, 16 June 2020 - 12:44 PM.

• Echolight likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics