•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First Light: Burgess 15x70 Binocular

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 20 April 2004 - 04:36 PM

On Sunday night (2004/4/19 UT) I was able to put the Burgess 15x70 binocular that I was fortunate enough to win at this year's NEAF to good use. I must say that I was very pleased with the results.

The Burgess 15x70 features BAK4 Porro prisms and fully multi-coated lenses. The field of view is stated as being 4.4 degrees and the eye relief 16 mm. The binocular produces an exit pupil of 4.7 millimeters and weighs in at 46 ounces. It worked quite well both mechanically and optically.

My new instrument was mounted on a Bogen tripod and Vista binocular guider. At 46 ounces the Burgess 15x70 can be hand-held but I recommend the use of a guider. The evaluation was conducted at a dark site that can approach a VLM of 6.5 magnitude on a very good night but unfortunately this was not one of them.

I was able to achieve a very tight focus. Some astigmatism was present as was to be expected. Stars began to blur at between 2/3's and 3/4's of the field radius and were quite elongated at the field edge, where there was a bit of lateral color. Certainly not bad performance for such inexpensive glasses.

I observed Venus, where some chromatic aberration was noted, and Jupiter, where all 4 Galilean moons were seen very easily, as well as numerous deep-sky objects. The Hyades and the Alpha Persei Association were quite striking as were the Sword of Orion, Collinder 70, the Double Cluster, Stock 2, M44, and Collinder 399. Galaxies such as M81, M82, M101, M51, M65, and M66 were readily visible. In fact, M81 and M82 were portrayed amazingly well. I managed to work through 1/4 of the Astronomical League's deep-sky binocular list as high clouds appeared and dispersed. Seeing the Binocular Double Cluster (NGC 6633 and IC 4756) through the Burgess was quite a treat.

My Japanese made Celestron 20x80 binocular has seen comparatively little use since I purchased an Orion ShortTube 80 achromat in 1998. Although the larger and much heavier Celestron giant binocular should clearly outperform the Burgess offering, I believe I'll be parting with the 20x80 and doing much more binocular observing in the coming nights with my newest optical toy.

Dave Mitsky

#2 jmoore

jmoore

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 April 2004 - 05:34 PM

yeah...i've used my Burgess 15x70s just about 5-10 times. Maybe they ain't the BEST binos ever made, but they're sure worth the price of admission!

#3 Pat G.

Pat G.

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 April 2004 - 06:06 PM

Here is a picture of Dave about to win those big binos. You gotta guess which one he is. :question:
Congrats Dave.

Pat Gillies

Attached Thumbnails

• 94347-Burgess booth 4.jpg

#4 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 20 April 2004 - 06:10 PM

$100 bucks, view of the night sky...priceless! Thanks for the report Dave, I still feel great about these binocs...talk about bang for the buck! Especially since yours were free!

#5 Dennis

Dennis

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 April 2004 - 06:18 PM

Congrads Dave on a great win! :applause:

Burgess was one of my favorite booths at the show. I ordered a pair of his binos, a tripod, and binoviewers. The raffles were fun. Thanks for the great report!

#6 777Guy

777Guy

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 April 2004 - 06:47 PM

Dave,
Nice report. I have had my Burgess 15x70s alittle over a month now and share your impressions. No, they are not Nikons, or Fujinons, but for $99 they aren't bad either.
I use mine several times throughout the day watching a Bald Eagle nest about 3/4 mile. I can easily make out the beak and eyesockets from almost a mile away. The other night, got out my Stellarvue AT1010 and compared viewing. The AT1010 had a 32mm plossl, on DSOs the images were similar with the scope having better resolution and detail. I am still pleased and for $99 would recommend them.

#7 Catapoman

Catapoman

Apollo

Posted 20 April 2004 - 08:52 PM

Dave,

Very good report. Speaking of winning, I won a pair of Burgess 10x50s last fall at the Peach State Star Gaze. Immediately I turned around and traded them in plus price difference for the 15x70s. I have been more than pleased with them. The Tiny Titan Bino mount he sells works great with it.

Pernel

#8 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 21 April 2004 - 01:53 AM

Here is a picture of Dave about to win those big binos. You gotta guess which one he is. :question:
Congrats Dave.

Pat Gillies

Pat,

The wonders of digital technology!

In case anyone's really interested think far right and not politically.

Dave Mitsky

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics