•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarvue AT 1010 Pre Nighthawk Focuser question

refractor
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dcollier

dcollier

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 February 2020 - 08:25 AM

I picked up a Pre Nighthawk AT 1010 used.  From what I can tell this sees to be a excellent scope for an achromat.  Nice sharp stars.  The issue I am having with it is the the the Draw tube is sloppy in the focuser and it will slip at higher angles with 2" accessories installed.   It is the stock R&P single speed focuser with rubber nobs.  Is there a way to tighten things up and stop the slip.  There is no lock on the focuser.  Or should I consider upgrading the focuser to a GSO Crayford? I read somewhere there was some variance in the tube diameters used over the years so that give some concern over getting right GSO focuser?  Comments, Recomendations? 

Thanks

-Dave 

#2 bigdob24

bigdob24

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 09 February 2020 - 07:05 PM

I’ve got one and had trouble with the original focuser, I tried to rebuild it , even sent it in and had them rebuild it and ended up getting a GSO.

Seems the tolerances are very loose .

With the GSO I could hold a Denk Bino and a Quark , that’s the limit but it would hold for viewing.

BD

#3 G-Tower

G-Tower

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 09 February 2020 - 07:10 PM

get a new focuser, that scope is worth it

#4 dcollier

dcollier

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 February 2020 - 08:05 AM

I know that's why I snapped it up...   Any collimation issues when installing the New focuser?? 

-Dave 

#5 G-Tower

G-Tower

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 February 2020 - 08:25 AM

Possibly. You need to check it to determine if so. Precise collimation is important for optimum performance, specially in fast short tubes

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics