•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarium DSO simulation

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sunrag

sunrag

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Carmel, Indiana

Posted 04 February 2020 - 05:41 PM

I love Stellarium, but I am finding that simulated images in Stellarium are overly optimistic. I have set my location in Stellarium and it recognises that it is a Bortle 6 site. I have input my Telescope and eyepiece details. But the real images i see are way too dim and show very little detail. For example M81 shows as a nice spiral galaxy in Stellarium when using the ocular view and selecting my telescope (12”/F5 Dob with a 30 mm Plossl ep). But in reality i can only see a faint small blob. Is this something to be expected?

Edited by sunrag, 04 February 2020 - 05:44 PM.

#2 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 04 February 2020 - 05:54 PM

'Tis but one issue with internet images versus eyepiece views. The only way to actually know is to look and observe.

M81 can reveal a wealth of detail. The best way to know that is to observe carefully from a dark site on a night with favorable conditions.

• Keith Rivich and rkelley8493 like this

#3 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Apollo

• Loc: Troy, Alabama

Posted 04 February 2020 - 05:59 PM

Yes. Basically they are inserting astro-photos in the spots where DSO are located. There is a setting where you can disable this feature, but it gives you the other extreme where hardly anything is visible at all. On the toolbar at the bottom, click the icon that looks like a camera, or press the "i" button on your keyboard. This will disable background images.

• sunrag likes this

#4 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Apollo

• Loc: Troy, Alabama

Posted 04 February 2020 - 06:07 PM

'Tis but one issue with internet images versus eyepiece views. The only way to actually know is to look and observe.

M81 can reveal a wealth of detail. The best way to know that is to observe carefully from a dark site on a night with favorable conditions.

Very true.. The more time you spend observing an object, the more detail you can see. Instead of long exposure photography, it's more like long exposure visualization. Dark skies make a world of difference as well.

Edited by rkelley8493, 04 February 2020 - 06:08 PM.

#5 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Cypress, Tx

Posted 04 February 2020 - 07:39 PM

I love Stellarium, but I am finding that simulated images in Stellarium are overly optimistic. I have set my location in Stellarium and it recognises that it is a Bortle 6 site. I have input my Telescope and eyepiece details. But the real images i see are way too dim and show very little detail. For example M81 shows as a nice spiral galaxy in Stellarium when using the ocular view and selecting my telescope (12”/F5 Dob with a 30 mm Plossl ep). But in reality i can only see a faint small blob. Is this something to be expected?

Yep.

• havasman and Redbetter like this

#6 aa6ww

aa6ww

Vanguard

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 05 February 2020 - 02:22 AM

Stellarium uses photos for reference since they want to show something. Nothing beats a real view through a real scope though.
When you read about what your actually looking at, its size, how far away it is, when it was discovered, even a tiny smudge of light becomes an amazing discovery through your own equipment.
I think from experience, those that find everything they see amazing keep this hobby for a lifetime, and those that think its just a little smudge of light and get board quickly leave this hobby.

...Ralph

Edited by aa6ww, 05 February 2020 - 12:45 PM.

• rkelley8493 likes this

#7 Araguaia

Araguaia

Surveyor 1

• Loc: deepest, darkest Brazil

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:35 PM

The point of the Stellarium simulations is to see the apparent size the object will show through the eyepiece, and the arrangement of multiple objects within the field.

For example, I use it to check if two or more DSOs will fit in the same field at a given power, or if not, to plan a "surf" between them.

Even then many of the images they use are misleading.  You can see a lot more faint nebulosity in a Hubble image than through an amateur scope.

#8 Rocklobster

Rocklobster

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: South East UK, Greater London, Bottle 5

Posted 05 February 2020 - 10:16 PM

As others have probably already said, the simulated view is not in any way meant to be taken as realistic. It's just for general size and angle and to be honest, it's usually pretty accurate in that regard.

Cheers

Sent from my N10 using Tapatalk

#9 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Vanguard

Posted 08 February 2020 - 07:52 AM

Real life views will NEVER look like colored photos. IMO, that is the problem with astronomy. When people start, they expect to see a view like a picture, which has gathered that light for many hours, or shorter when using a CCD chip to gather that light, and it just isn't so.

Observing takes time and you need just the right conditions. 

IMO, it is well worth it when done right.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics